Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple hardware devices at same location - splitter or dedicated feeds

Options
  • 25-05-2022 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,474 ✭✭✭

Re-wiring the house, puting in CAT6. I'll have decent wireless coverage (Unifi APs) but I'd prefer to have "fixed" hardware devices wired as much as possible. I'm wondering how best to configure where I have a single location with multiple devices, e.g. printer, xbox, media player, apple tv, network connected amp all in the one corner of a room.

Should I have multiple ethernet cables to that point, or a single ethernet cable with a switch or splitter?

What do people usually do?

I guess where you have high traffic and low tolerance for interruption/contention, ideally you'd have dedicated solid core per device. But feels like overkilly to have like 5 jacks in a single point.

Any thoughts or advice welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,114 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

With proper brand switch you unlikely would saturate 1GB uplink with 4-5 devices you mentioned, however, having second wire as "backup plan" would be my option.

Better looking at it than for it...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭dam099

Also in your example 3 or 4 of the devices are media related so unlikely you would be using them simultaneously as you probably only have 1 TV there. I had the same concern and ran 4 sockets to my main TV location, only 1 is used with all the media devices connected to the same switch.

(I actually do use 2 of the other ports as backhaul from the ONT to my Router and from the Router back to the patch panel but that's only because I chose a poor location for my patch panel and it was a pain to get at the Router when it was beside it if I needed to power cycle it etc).

Advertisement