Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disabled Community Tipperary

• 25-05-2022 3:48pm

I started a new job this year. The main part of the job is to set up online spaces for disabled people where they can meet new people, benefit from Peer Support, engage in free courses/workshops and through collective action, works towards a more equal community/society.

However, I am really struggling to reach disabled people. I have contacted disability organisations etc and asked them to pass on my contact details but it seems like disabled people in Co. Tipperary are either not getting the message or are not interested.

Does anyone out there have any advice for me or are there any people out there who have a physical, sensory or mental health impairment that would like to hear more about the project ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Dr Karl

You could contact the local radio station. I am sure they have a general magazine show that would cover topics like this that are relevant to the local area.

Put an ad in the local paper or freesheet cost about €150.00 though or ask them to do a feature no cost for you and easy content for them.

Ask the local churches if they will mention your service in the local newsletter some will for non-profit groups.

I have seen people write to the letter pages of the national newspapers in similar situations to you, they may accept it or they may not but an email will cost nothing. Maybe in Tipperary the Indo is the best seller followed by the Examiner, I don't think The Irish Times sells well outside of Dublin/Leinster (Examiner is their Munster paper). The Sindo, hated by many, but it has the highest readership in the country and I believe is popular in Tipp.

Contact the Ray Darcy Show on RTE Radio 1 they do seem to cover issues like this you would be drown out on Liveline. 2 Johnnys on 2FM as they are from Tipperary. Lunchtime Live or The Hard Shoulder on Newstark.

Or do the local Credit Unions have notice boards. Contact local GP/pharmacies/health centres and see if you could leave some business cards with them. I have seen this with my local Dr but that was before COVID.

Advertisement