Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wildbird broken legs mystery

Options
  • 25-05-2022 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have various breeds of birds that visit my garden each year, every year and throughout the year. There are some who are mutually familiar and there's a certain amount of trust as they introduce their young. I have several bird tables for different breeds with their accessibility by size, so that each can feed and drink without competition, threat from another breed or chance of a larger bird hoovering everything up in 2 gulps. All sizes have access to food and it's almost as if they know this as none attempt any break-ins or bullying on other feeding stations.

I keep notes and take photos but I'm not an expert or have time to study ornithology, I just enjoy watching them a lot.

However, there is an anomaly this year. Many of the birds have got broken legs. Wagtails, Starlings and crows (among others) have a noticeable amount of broken legs amongst their groups. They have each survived the injury and feed and drink normally.

I'm in a rural area, I don't have any cats nor do my immediate neighbours. Although there a 2 cats that do wander across from time to time but dart away when they see a human. They cross the garden and I've never seen them scheming. I moved here 6 years ago and the cats have been here as long as the birds have been visiting. I can't fathom why this year in particular there are many more birds with broken legs.

Can anyone shed any light on this ? I've tried to give as much information as I can. Does anyone have a similar situation ? Or any ornithologists out there that might be able to answer the mystery ?

I hope so, if there's anything that I'm am doing, not doing or should be doing - I'd like to know.

Thanks !

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,304 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This has nothing to with boards.ie. Try asking in a forum that's related to the topic instead, such as the Zoology forum:

Advertisement