Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heating water only

• 25-05-2022 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have quite an old gas boiler system that allows me to heat radiators + water together, or by turning a gate valve located next to the boiler it will heat water only.

Coming into summer now I'd like to heat water only however the gate valve is quite corroded and leaks when turned. Is this a big job to repair/replace ?

I have a hive system recently installed and I'd love to be able to choose heat water or radiators from the hive app. Is this a possibility once I get the valve fixed ..I assume I'd need a motorized valve fitted and then get someone to update the hive system (would it need new wiring?)

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

No not a big job, you just need to drain system, put in new valve & refill. I presume there is some connector on the hive with a relay output for this though I have never used one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If replacing the valve you might want to look at a motorised valve. This can be connected to the Hive / nest.

If you don't want to replace anything you could just turn off the rads during the summer so when you turn on the boiler it will only heat water.

The immersion in the hot water cylinder can work out cheaper to heat the water. Especially if you are only heating half of the cylinder

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Summer2020

Thanks. Ideally I'd like to avoid the immersion as inevitably it's left on and forgotten about..I know I could put a timer on it but given we've gone to the expense of getting the hive fitted I'd like to integrate the water heating into that. Could any plumber work on the hive or does it need to be done through bord gais ?

Anyone able to recommend someone in South Dublin for this job to fit a motorized valve and link it up to the hive?

Thanks

Advertisement