Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M.2 / SATA SSD Question

Options
  • 26-05-2022 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, I recently got an Inspiron 15 3515, it has a 256GB M.2 SSD which is nice and fast but not big enough for my needs.

I also have a new 2.5" SATA 1TB SSD, was intended to fix my old laptop with it but the motherboard was buggered as well as the disk.

So - questions are:

(a) The 3515 has an unused internal 2.5" HDD bay with SATA cable, can I put my 1TB SATA SSD in here and use it at the same time as the existing M.2 SSD? I expect the answer to this is Yes

(b) If I do the above, will the slower SATA SSD affect the performance of the M.2 SSD? I expect the answer is No and they're on totally separate busses, but I want to know for sure

Plan is to keep my OSes on the M.2 and use the SATA drive for video, etc. storage. I never had a machine with an M.2 slot before so apologies if these questions are a bit thick

Also...

(c) Dell say it takes 8 or 16GB RAM per slot but don't list 16+16 as a supported configuration, Crucial offer a 16+16 kit for this machine, so who's right? 16GB (8x2 out of my old laptop) is grand for now but I've still run out of space sometimes with 16GB, and the new machine uses about 2.3GB of system RAM for graphics which is a good bit more than the old.

Thanks!

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34,643 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Can't remember if there was a HDD carrier there or just an empty space... I suppose this would be a part specific to Dell if it's not included.

I have a SATA to USB adaptor so I can still use the SSD as an external drive if I have to.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,621 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You need this bit of metal https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Dell-Inspiron-15-P66F-5000-5565-HDD-SSD-Hard-Drive-Caddy-0X5TM4/324131657197 and of course the cable to mount the 2.5" drive internally. This shows how it all goes together https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tysnCCH6N1Y (8 min 15 secs in).

Wake me up when it's all over.

Success!

The HDD carrier was there, and it even had four spare screws for securing the drive taped to it. SATA cable was there too. Fair play to Dell... and thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

The M2 is no faster than the 2.5 SATA SSD.

According to the specs it's nearly ten times faster. An SSD can saturate the SATA interface.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

NVMe

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Advertisement