Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Andor [Disney+]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I remember watching Syriana and for some reason it didn't turn on the translation subtitles initially. I thought it was a decision as you were able to work out what was happening (The radicalisation of a previously moderate person). So I'm glad this wasn't subtitled. I mean it was easy to figure it out.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to watching the next episodes this evening. But so far I'm really liking this and LOVE the look.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Similar to Prey, I suppose. The thinking behind it is probably that the language is supposed to be alien to you and you can get the gist of what they're talking about from their gestures and actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,803 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Episode 3 was pretty fkin class.

Best bit of Star Wars since Rogue One (and I loved Mando)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭winstonia

Rubbish. Although it looks lovely but you can't make anything serious with 25-30min episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Episode 3 was better but this show really needs to pick up its pace. First 2 episodes made me wonder will it improve

• Registered Users Posts: 16,358 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

What's with all the Irish actresses?

Has Disney's market research spotted a market where Disney Plus has scope for more penetration?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,413 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

English play Imperial officers and Irish play rebels? Lol

All Eyes On Rafah

Very slow alright. But third one kicks it up a gear. But yeah, different style of Star Wars.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,714 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Denise Gough has popped up in the trailers and looks like an imperial officer alas :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,378 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I Honestly didn't realise all this time Fiona Shaw was Irish. She always plays such English matriarchal figures it just kinda stuck, that assumption she was a posho. Ha. Wonder does she even have a Cork accent anymore.

Jeysus I always thought she was in that Olivia Coleman category of the most stereotypical English people on TV.

Not exactly but it makes sense when you think about it.

"Rebel scum" just doesn't sound the same in a Kerry accent. Although Fiona Shaw shouting "up the rebels" in a Cork accent could be fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,476 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That was a pretty good start - second after the Mandalorian but it's a different show so really tied first, the rest of the shows don't even deserve placing

I am enjoying this as much as I hoped I would. I think the official is JUST the right side of caricature.

As for the accents. Well, English accents were always the bad guys in Star Wars as of course ANH was filmed there. (This is covered in many docs). I remember seeing seeing a Comic-con panel on Youtube for The Force Awakens. The interviewer was talking to Adam Driver and getting monosylabic answers from him (I was unaware of the actor beforehand and he was so dull that I thought there was a language barrier). They then go to Domhnain Gleeson: "Well, I use an English accent so I'm eeeeeeeeeevil!!!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Well there is that trend but not always, an English accent could also mean a JEDI \ ex-Republic.

And here there are Scottish and regional English accents mixed in with the pre-mox corporation bad guys and just normal workers.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Crazy that they have AK47's in a Galaxy far far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

This is now my favourite Star Wars live action 'thing' since the original trilogy. Yes, Rogue One was fantastic but this is even better in my book.

I've been sucked into it in a big way from one episode to the next. Getting to spend time with characters to understand their motivations is something that so many TV shows forget about, I can never understand that. Here, it's different. I don't get the complaints about it being too slow. There's what, 12 episodes in this series? Plenty of time to get to know characters.

I also see some comments about the length of the episodes, but from what I can remember none of them have been under 35-40 minutes have they? Episode 4 that I watched earlier came in at 49 minutes I believe. And it was great. Nice to see a version of Coruscant that doesn't look like it's straight out of a video game.

There are times I forget I'm watching a Star Wars show and I love that. It has also recaptured the 'lived in' universe that we haven't really seen since A New Hope.

I think Tony Gilroy has re-invented Star Wars to a certain extent and he deserves great appreciation for that.

The score is great and for those with an interest in these things there's a nice read here...

https://variety.com/2022/artisans/news/andor-composer-nicholas-britell-score-star-wars-1235383443/

Post edited by thegreengoblin on

• Registered Users Posts: 19,225 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Excellent so far.

Grown up Star Wars is best Star Wars...

😆

• Registered Users Posts: 60,558 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It feels original Star Wars as well with real sets, props and costumes and not all CGI and shiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

4: Oh wow! That was a good one! I was really caught when it ended. I really wanted to know what happens next.

Same writer director combo for the next two episodes too so plenty to look forward to.

Someone likely to die I'm guessing but also Cassian likely to go over and above in a putting-himself-on-the-line way too .. maybe because of something he'll learn from the group.. like their backstories.

That Imperial wan..

oh she gives off some bad vibes.. especially that commendation for putting people away, I'm half guessing her arc might take her in the direction of monitoring bothans.

Enjoying the hell out of this so far. It's Star Wars but expanded. It's exactly what I wanted. Not a Skywalker in sight (So far). And even if they wanted to bring in Bail Organa as a cameo, that would at least fit (If he's still alive. I don't know). Any future references to Rogue One would make sense and not just be jammed-in for viewers. As much as I liked the Mando, Luke and Ashoka in Boba Fett, they were really just there to boost viewership.

The cinematography is fantastic: Expansive and diverse. In one episode alone we had high society apartment, lower apartment, imperial buildings and Not-Scotland. It runs the risk of making the next series of The Mandalorian look quite claustrophobic: Desert planet, cockpit, hanger, cockpit in hanger on desert planet...

The acting is top notch. The robots etc are not just there to sell toys (Him mother's house droid reminded me of TARS in Interstellar for some reason). The lore is there but not rammed down your throat: Sure, great if you know BBY means Before Battle of Yavin (Destruction of first Death Star). But if not, so what?

I'de agree with pretty much everyone here that the universe looks great (AK47s aside)

What I'm really loving is the expanding on characters similar to Krennic from R1. The empire must be full of these sociopathic self serving scumbags. People who don't care about the Sith but are willing to do anything just to be boss of their own little fiefdom. On top of that they have given an actual reason for the empire which seems to be resource scarcity. Strip mining seems to be the major gripe in the galaxy.

Also you get ejits like Mr. Mothma who will turn a blind eye as long as they get to prance about at dinner parties.

The good vs evil Jedi stuff is grand for a movie but it would be awful to just boil it down to that for everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,510 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

@Slydice great description of 'that Imperial wan' given that she's from Ireland :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Another great episode. I so hope they can keep to this standard for the whole series.

Enjoyed the nods to the Old Republic with Skarsgard's character mentioning the Rakatan's when he was talking about the origins of the crystal necklace, and what looked like Starkiller's Sith helmet in the background of his museum. Mimban and Chandrila mentioned, also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Strong again this week. The difference in production quality between this and Obi-Wan in particular is just staggering. This looks rich, detailed and alive where that felt flat and artificial.

Very impressive how they’re encompassing different aspects of the rebel operations here - from the high-level political intrigue on Coruscant to the guerrilla warfare and tiny secret sabotage operations. The scene in the antiques shop packs in more nuanced drama and high-stakes politicking than George Lucas managed to fit into an entire prequel trilogy!

Probably some of the sharpest, most believable dialogue any Star Wars production has offered up too. My only real problem with it at this stage remains Andor himself - still a very bland protagonist who is out charisma’ed by virtually everyone else around him. That the show doesn’t suffer too badly despite that is pretty good going!

Advertisement