Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Detective: Night Country - US Pace - HBO - (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

No episode next week due to Superbowl Sunday

I know I'm in a minority but I'm really enjoying this season I think the supernatural elements could be explained by mercury poisoning in the water from the mine. So I'm going to stick with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@Snake Plisken Quiet like it too .. but then I am a huge fan of movies like:

So far its almost like an homage to this movie :D

Didnt realise they had made a remake of this in 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Not enjoying it at all!

The supernatural arc is not very true detective, and some of the regular stuff is far fetched too.

*********Spoiler********

Did they head to the indigenous guys shack all lock and loaded on Christmas Eve because prior said he had access to the generator and she the lights flicker?

Yeah a rubbish prequel set in the Norwegian Camp. They had some great practical effects done for it but producers chickened out and went with crap CGI effects.

This has some aspects of The Thing but also 30 Days of Night which is a great vampire flick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

So @Snake Plisken dont waste my time seeking out and watching The Thing 2011??

Cant beat the original. Same situation with THE FOG .. orig still the best. No crappy CGI in both. Yes I agree re 30 days of night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

I think the Thing 2011 is worth a watch. If anything it’s worth watching the lovely Mary Elizabeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭orangerhyme

Is it worth watching?

I loved S1, S2 was watchable and S3 was decent.

I know S4 isn't really connected to either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭tom23

Yes, I m enjoying it so far. One;s mans sugar is another mans salt. Watch it and make your own mind up. A lot of supernatural **** going on... some very freaky moments some plot holes. But still....

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Yeah I thought their reasoning for going back to the nomad camp seemed very makey-uppy, but maybe I just wasn't following the threads enough myself?

And regarding the Thing prequel, I definitely think it's at least worth a watch. It's perfectly serviceable. The switching of practical effects to CGI at the last minute really did the film a disservice though. You can actually go and check out a behind the scenes video on YouTube from the special effects company. The original make-up effects and animatronics/puppets they had built for it looked quite terrifying! Also didn't help that they called the film the exact same name as the Carpenter classic, leading many to assume it was a straight remake.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭brianc27

yea id be fairly certain that's the reason but even that is done badly, if your being poisoned by tainted drinking water you wouldn't just be getting random hallucinations, you'd also feel like **** on top of that.

• Advertisement

Actually just reading online that the next episode will be streaming on HBO max this Friday so not skipping a week for the Superbowl. That's saturday.nights viewing sorted 👍

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Qaavik is suss

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

I thought episode 4 was better than ep3 but still not great. It feels like barely anything happens for about 40 mins and then they try and move the story along in the final 10 mins each week. So much irrelevant filler in the past two episodes. They are going to really need to motor through it if there is only two episodes left?

It's watchable all the same, but if it didn't have the true detective name attached you'd wonder would we give it so much rope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

And the disappointment deepens in Episode 4.

A whole pile of nothing imho - even the semi-interesting police procedural elements seem to have been abandoned in favour of cheap jump scares and general misery p0rn.

I had been listening to a couple of podcasts that go through the episodes in finite detail but it's really not worth the effort now....this isn't prestige television...as alluded to in my previous post, without the 'True Detective' branding, this show would be on TV3 at 11:30 on Saturday nights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

this is hilarious,. and true..

A whole pile of nothing imho - even the semi-interesting police procedural elements seem to have been abandoned in favour of cheap jump scares and general misery p0rn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Everlong1

Getting fed up with it myself now although having invested in the previous four episodes I'm sure I'll watch the remaining two to see them crowbar some half arsed explanation\resolution in.

By the way is anyone else pissed off with the sh*te drippy singer songwriter crap which seems to be obligatory on the soundtrack for the "emotional" scenes? I love music, I'm a songwriter myself but I hate drippy Damien Rice type songs and they seem to be contractually obliged to have at least two crap songs in every episode. Always female singers of course, presumably to reinforce how right on the producers are.

The only other point of minor interest is that I can't ever remember seeing anything Jodie Foster was in previously where she actually had a sex scene (barring Taxi Driver where she played a kiddie sex worker, or The Accused which I'm not counting as it was a nasty rape scene as opposed to a normal sex scene). In this she seems to be mad for it with her ex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

People who say it’s as good as season 1 aren’t right in the head. They either haven’t seen it, or have just forgotten what kind of level it was at. No comparison.

I question who says things like that when a show is only halt over. In fact, that was the review from episode one.

I assume that immediately post episode, Rotten Tomatos scores are inflated up to somewhere near season 1. So review websites just start with the silly claims.

Season 1: 91% (88% Audience - 1000 review)

Season 4: 93% (65% Audience - 2500 review)

(people are bigger whingers than they were in 2014, but that's still a big drop off in audience score)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

This show is starting to really annoy me, stop trying to be sooo mysterious and stuff, people don’t need tons of twists

Season 1 will always be a stand alone brilliant show, they have been chasing that season ever since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

If there were another six or eight episodes left then I would stop watching it, but since there are only two, I'll finish it. Like most others on here, I am not a fan of the supernatural aspect of this series. Some elements of the occult like in Series 1 were great, but this series has jumped the shark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Ep 5 available online. They've left it late to get this season cooking. Some interesting plot developments. Building up well to final episode.

Good episode coming together nicely for the finale next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

was on the fence for first 2 episodes, but after the 3rd jesus it's just not worth it, such a shame, it's all over the place

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭moby2101

Finally!!

some movement in episode 5

god it was dire up until 5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

he didn't really think he'd shoot liz?

If he got the chance to kill them both I think he would have.

Not going to say ep 5 made up for the previous 4 but it was worth the wait.

Remember Hank has been shown as a character being mugged off. Id say he's been desperate to move forward in his life in some way after such liberties being taken. He was supposed to get the same carrot years earlier thats being dangled once again in this episode (police chief). Then there was his no show Russian bride on Christmas Eve. He's also portrayed as a man who thinks he should be a lot more important than he is. Seems he'd decided he was going to get his no matter what even if that included hacking his sons laptop for evidence to help him secure his promotion. Once he'd started down that road I think he was going to see it out no matter who was in his way except his son who he assumed absolute loyalty from.

Sh!t really? Its obvious Danvers thinks Pete will shoot Hank if he thinks clearly but you don't reckon Hank thinks theres a strong chance his son was gona side with him? Blood is blood and all that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have said suicide by cop as well he knew he was going to prison forever and he just couldn't kill himself so he forced his son to do it selfish till the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

A bit of improvement this week but too little too late imho.

I can't see the ending being anything other than an unsatisfying mess.

And one thing that bugged me....when Danvers is being interviewed at Silver Sky she bats off the first question with a 'police privacy' answer, but is then asked a similar follow up question and tells them EVERYTHING....made absolutely no sense.

Anyway, heard an interview with John Hawkes (who plays Hank)....he wrote and composed the song that Hank played during Episode 5

I have to say that I was *very* confused with the momentary tension with the guns at the end. I couldn't make out anyone's intentions and Danvers repeating "think" over and over kept me asking "does she want him to shoot? Does she want him to stay calm and *not* shoot?!". I thought Hanks escalation at the end seemed way over the top, like all bets were off suddenly for some odd reason. Just came out of nowhere for me really. And then leaving poor Pete while they hurried off, even though I didn't understand their urgency. Surely the caves aren't going anywhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Ha, I had the same thoughts! In a life and death situation like that, you think Danvers would be a lot clearer than just saying "Think" to Peter again and again. She should be saying "Put your gun down" or "You have to shoot him" or something clearer than just "Think!" And also, yep, the caves aren't going anywhere, help him tidy up the mess and then go to the bloody caves!

I was thinking Hank saw it as a choice for Pete. Your father or your boss and Hank took his chances on it being better than 50/50 in his favour.

But what you say makes more sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

Couldn't continue with it, thought it was dreadful.

Apologies if this has been mentioned, all I could think about was how much of a rip off it was of the show Fortitude, which was so so. I don't know how much of a rip off it was as I didn't get far enough into True Detective but I hope they didn't go the full hog with the cause of the mystery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Banzai600

funny, we were only talking about this last night....

Absolutely woeful.

the acting is terrible, really bad - across the board. so poor. even the irish one, wtf with her accent lol. Dreadful. storyline doesnt quote deliver, its like theyre filling script or something....will finish it, but it shouldnt be in the same book binder of the shows that came before it under the same name. maybe it wasant cast right..who knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hank didn't strike me as the sharpest tool in the box. Still will be curious as to where it goes in the finale.

Don't think we will end up with a massive shoot out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭robwen

Does anybody else think Jodie Foster looks kinda like Michael J Fox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

Cant but see Darlene from Rosanne/The Connors. Also, couldn't figure out where I had seen "Hank" before, he was the brother/brother in law in eastbound and Down, that dude is 65 !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

John Hawkes (Hank) was Sol Star in Deadwood, that's where I remember him from.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Yes! Not really looks like him as such, but some definite similar mannerisms (like hand movements/facial expressions) in some scenes, I was trying to figure out who she was reminding me of, and that's who it is, thanks!

i thought he was telling him to get back with his kid and wife with that line, to prioritise them rather his police job with Danvers..

not sure why the wife is giving him such a hard time sevveral men just died/were murdered

Post edited by expectationlost on

The powers that be at aware they are looking for the caves, and because of that they sent a cop to kill their witness. I'd have thought the reason for the urgency was kind of obvious. They've just murder another person, and exposed their previous murder conspiracy. If anything they'd speed up their efforts to silence them.

It was pretty clear he was about to kill himself. Danver's was telling Pete to keep calm, to think about how to resolved - she obviously didn't expect Hank to try shoot her, as there's only one outcome there.

Once he shot the German on front of her, his only real option was to shoot her too, no? Not like she was just going to let it go or play along. And surely he didn't think his son was going to side with him, while standing over a dead man and holding a gun to his mentor miss Robinson. Also, at the very end, after he confessed to his part, I thought he was going to shoot himself. Orchestrating it so that his son had to do it really was him proving just how awful a father he was.

And regarding the urgency with the caves, I understood that the German was the only person who could indicate the way in, so now Danvers was the only person who knew, no? Unless the Irish oil boss lady was going to toddle on down to the caves herself and cover up evidence that's been sitting there for years? But maybe that's exactly what's going to happen, I dunno.

I wear also confused when Pete confronted Danvers about the old shooting and the flipped around photos. She admitted she didn't know the guy was left (or right, was it?) handed, so who flipped the photos? Was it the flipped photos that caught them out or were they flipped to hide the crime? Even though the scene was played out like a big revelation, I was still scratching my head at the end of it. Maybe I shouldn't be watching this sorta show when it's late and I'm tired...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I watched episode 3 a couple of weeks ago, and have yet to feel the urge to go back to finish it.

Should I bother?

Does it get any better, cos it was doing nothing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭jonnreeks

Usually with Sky Atlantic TV drama, if an episode has been shown on mainstream TV, the following episode is usually available to stream!

Any chance the finale episode 6 is available on a stream early rather than waiting until next Monday am USA time or worst 9 pm for us here with Sky!

😉

Hasnt been the way of it for this.

Last week they released ep5 a couple days early online but wouldnt think they'll do that for the finale.

If you hadnt watch any I'd say forget it but you're nearly at ep 5 which is when things finally get moving so Id say carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Episode 4 was poor enough, you could probably read a synopsis online and skip to episode 5. Maybe watch 5 and 6 as a feature length finale :)

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Advertisement