Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Detective: Night Country - US Pace - HBO - (***Spoilers***)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ordinarily maybe, but you’re overlooking some key details. Her boss also appears to be compromised by the oil company. But more importantly, Hank had uncovered Danvers/Navarro’s secret. He was going to hold that over her to walk out.

The German was there only lead until the Barman’s buddy explained the meaning of the swirly rock. They break in from the top.

They didn’t know the guy was left handed when they feigned his suicide. They realised afterwards and flipped the photos to cover it up. Pete put two and two together. Hank was gifted, what he thought was his ticket.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

how did Hank find out what Pete found out? yes he accessed his computer but how did he find out about the flipped photos, he must have figured it out too independently? unless Pete has a diary he's writing...?

That was the whole point in Hank accessing the laptop. Pete had the evidence outlined on there, Hank snooped it. Was a pretty important scene in the episode as it'd directly led to Hank's perceived power over Liz, and also to the falling out between Hank and Pete, which in turn resulted in Pete being out the back when he shot the German.

You have to ask Pete to see his laptop if you want full details. 🤣

The evidence he collated and presented to Danvers was clear that the files were tampered with. It's a TV show, so they don't actually produce exvidence/content that is not shows on screen, but the implication is it exists.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

I assume that Pete has probably taken case notes and saved them in a file to help him keep track of everything, and that's what Hank read. He wouldn't open that file on the screen and show it to Danvers, as he's talking to her about it, and reading from the file wouldn't make sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Has anyone caught the finale ?

Pretty disappointing stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Yeah, thought it was really poor. Foster and Reis did their best but there was no saving it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Bit of a let down for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

well that was a waste of time. I kept hoping for some solid scene or linkage to S1, i.e. more than just a fecking drawing or mention of Tutils - but no, just a tease with no pay back. shame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Some things that confused me...

"She's awake!" "Time is a flat circle!" Does any of Raymond Clarke's blathering mean anything?

The cleaning ladies did it. Worst. Reveal. Ever. What about all the ghost / supernatural build up?

Danvers and Navarro fall through the ice twice in the middle of nowhere. Run for maybe 20 metres and end up directly under the station?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Bit disappointing. Think I even preferred season two to it overall. Jodie Foster was excellent, as always. Hard not to think of Fortitude at times.

Your man mumbling about time being a flat circle makes me want to break out my Blu-ray of season one.

God that was rubbish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

I've got 12 minutes left and almost couldn't be bothered finishing this. It's really crap television, very boring. I'll persist!

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Woodie40

The emperors new clothes springs to mind.

I stuck with it for Jodie Foster but what a disappointment of a series.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,258 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I actually liked Season 2, certainly jarring after season 1 but in itself it was quite entertaining. It was a masterpiece compared to this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Some very underrated performances in it. Farrell was quality

it would have been better go to reporters or something then kill the scientists...

Post edited by expectationlost on

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I must be the exception, I enjoyed the last episode, some very tense scenes. I think if you watched this season without;

1. Comparing it to season 1
    2. Having a meaningful link to season 1
    3. Lamenting how no other season compares to season 1

then you might have a hope of liking it.

Regarding the supernatural aspect of it, if you take a step back and look at it as this is what people believe they are seeing and hearing. Call it psychological, call it extreme reaction to the cold, or being part of an indigenous group of people who live a life with such ingrained spirituality, or rather other worldly activities. It's real in their world, so the series represents it.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭17togo

That was bloody awful....

The best thing about it was that it was only 6 episodes.

Reminds me of time I wasted watching Lost, but on a miniature scale!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Brendan Filone

This was so bad. How do you cast Jodie Foster and write a show this bad? How did she even accept to do this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,047 ✭✭✭Unearthly

One of the worst seasons of tv ever. I was laughing at the reveal because it was so ridiculous and cringe. Jodie Foster did about as good as she could but the script was beneath her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

There could've been the basis of good story framed around the lack of police action for the murder and disappearance of indigenous women. Similar to the plotline of season 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,059 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Pretty much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Just wanted the finale to be over so I could turn the TV off. Mediocre TV. Maybe on a par with season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Who cut the tongue out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I thought she was terrible from the start. Very Amateurish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Night Country was an appropriate title being as we were kept in the dark for most of it, and instead of redeeming itself in the last episode it was just "meh".

We didn't even get Dervla Kirwan's character dragged away kicking and screaming.

• Advertisement

Yeah... I enjoyed the ending in terms of a resolution for Danvers and Navarro and Peter and their respective personal storylines etc.

In terms of a resolution of the actual murders/mysteries, it's a mess. Basically the native women put two and two together and realised that Annie had been killed by the scientists. Or, at least one of them anyhow. So they decided to blame all the scientists and send all of them to their deaths, apart from the one who probably actually did kill her? Who then somehow finally kills himself just by staying outside in a storm, a storm that both Danvers and Navarro survived in, even after Danvers fell into the ice?

And the tongue really isn't explained at all. And lots of other gaps/issues/unclear aspects of it. Ah well, it was good TV I thought, but not if you actually want to realistic answers at the end!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭SharkMX

I was waiting to hear if it was any good or not by a few other people who finished it.

I got stung on season 2 and 3. Glad now I didnt take the chance on season 4.

Every now and then during the day, another issue or unanswered question pops into me head.

For example, after all the mystery and angst over the Wheeler Case, and them having to change evidence to pretend he had killed himself because "they didn't know he was left handed", we finally see him being killed by Navarro, and she shoots him in the left temple! Which is exactly what a left handed person would do when committing suicide. Yet the autopsy report photo was meant to be flipped, so according to it he was shot in the right temple. I mean, why make it such a big part of the plot/back story, and then make a mess of it?

EDIT: Oops! Just watched it back, and despite him sitting in the chair with his back to them in every other clip we saw, with Navarro facing his left side, in the actual clip where she shoots, they have turned him around in the chair and he's facing them, so it is in his right temple that gets hit (though she's almost too far away for it to be a self-inflicted gun-shot wound). However, it looks like it's meant to be a continuation of when Navarro was "zoned out" looking at the ghost of the person he had murdered, and in that scene he had his back to them. I reckon they realised that they had him facing the wrong way, and inserted a quick 1 second clip of him being shot in the right hand side of his head!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Fairly terrible - the final episode was almost the most disappointing as you still had an outside hope it might come good but I'd say 20 minutes in you could tell this was going nowhere.

Could have been a lot better. Loved the setting in Alaska and the first episode set the tone quite well but it really lost its way from about episode 3 onwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I just popped into the thread, and after seeing this, won't be finishing the show. Had seen up to episode 3 and it was doing nothing for me.

I assumed that some of it was filmed in Alaska and some of it in Iceland, as I think both places got a mention in the credits. I couldn't figure out which bits got filmed where until I Googled it today and discovered that it was all filmed in Iceland. 😂

Night Country Filming Locations - A2Z Filming Location

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,969 ✭✭✭billyhead

How did the orange keep reappearing and what was the significance of it?

I think they forgot to explain that and all the other weird things that happened. Nothing that most people thought was supernatural got explained at all.

It was as if the person who wrote the final episode didn't watch the previous 5 and only knew about the murder.

All in all it was pointless.

Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Didn't think this series was great at all, the supernatural element was overdone and annoying. Last 20 minutes of final episode probably best of it.

If I was to put the show in order of how good I thought each series was it would be...

• 3 (wouldn't be everyones choice)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,458 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Danvers & Navarro frequently getting separated at Tsalal during the storm was like something you'd expect to see in a poorly written horror movie.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Enjoyed the first five episodes, but thought the finale was very poor. Ruined the whole thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

You don't actually have to explain everything. You can leave your audience to come up with their own explanations.

I enjoyed the series and indeed the final episode. Foster overacted a bit, but was generally very good.

I hadn't seen any of the previous series, so I wasn't comparing it to anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Season 1 stands head and shoulders above the rest.

I thought Season 2 with Colin Farrell was really building up a head of steam, was really getting into it... and then about halfway through there was something it skipped forward a couple months or something and it lost all momentum for me. I wouldn't mind watching one of the early season 2 episodes again. Can't imagine watching any of season 4 again.

Season 3 was powerful but very drawn out imo.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

That was truly awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Watched half of finale last night and found it a real chore tbh...will probably finish it off tonight but the whole thing is extremely laboured.

I actually think Jodie Foster is really poor in this series....she seems to have an aura of Hollywood royalty or something but brings nothing of note to this imho....maybe it's the role or the writing but her input just adds to the overall underwhelming vibe.

Season 2 was messy for sure but it's a masterpiece compared to this series

This really was a True Detective series if anyone hasn't seen it I highly recommend giving it a watch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭tommythecat

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

You don't actually have to explain everything. You can leave your audience to come up with their own explanations

At the end when Navarro walks out onto the ice, she's just going to the shop to get some bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

She walks off, but then appears on the veranda with Jodie as well? Was she a ghost? Don't care 🤣

• Advertisement
Advertisement