Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

True Detective: Night Country - US Pace - HBO - (***Spoilers***)

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Things that are left to the imagination are usually the minor things but the "mysterious" parts of the series weren't minor as they were a big part of every episode.

I wasn't comparing it to anything apart from well-constructed TV series, and this one fell short of the mark.

Post edited by ejmaztec on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,566 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

We finished this out last night and have to say we thought it was really very poor. It kinda comes off as not really knowing what it wanted to be. Personally, I'd have dropped all the silly horror attempts and cheap sex and made the whole thing a much more straight forward procedural.

Could have been good, but they blew it.

So, we're back to square one, where the first series is easily the best. That being said, I still liked S02 as well. S03 was just dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

Apparently this did gangbusters for HBO and they've signed Lopez on to showrun next season and also create other shows for the network. It seems to be getting high praise all over the net and I just can't see why.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

There’s an element of wokery and wee lasses getting revenge on evil men that the libtards love.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

I don't get this, it's real chip on shoulder stuff. This was just crap, not because it was made by women etc, just because it was crap. Mare of Eastown was fantastic, not because it was made by women etc, but because it was just fantastic tv!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭MICKEYG

Wtf? Libtard?

Can you comment on the series without resorting to this rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Mr Disco

It explains why a clearly crap show is getting rave reviews. Bit like that rubbish Ghostbusters movie reboot with all the birds a few years back. Dreadful but got great reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Ghostbuster did pretty badly. So much so that they ditched the reboot. The went back to a continuation of the original series. With another sequel coming.

And this show is getting panned too. But none the less, you all watched it. which is all HBO actually care about. The woke/libtard comments are something I'd expect form RedPillers on reddit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Very weak ending that undermines the whole story. All their detective work was flawed and incorrect so it made all their work pointless. They also found no sign of all the people entering the area or building. How were the scientists so close to their cloths and so close together?

The video they had made it seem like the victim was lost in the tunnels and being followed but then the scientist tells us she was smashing samples in the lab when she was stabbed. So she’s not an innocent party either.

Navarro also has killed two people by the end, the first was justified but not the second. Danvers is also very blaze about Navarro just walking out into the ice. As a whole it’s kind of a mess by the last episode.

Edit: The police interview at the end was extremely suspicious, two dead colleagues and Danvers just shruggs, as if she didn’t care.

Post edited by Potatoeman on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Finished this off the other night 😕

The finale struck me as something that had been rewritten multiple times by dozens of different people.

There was zero tension and tbh I couldn't have cared less about what happened as the whole thing was so convoluted.

The sprinkling of horror/mysticism only added to the confusion imho.

And Jodie Foster phoning it in from the start didn't help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Yeah like a dozen women charge in, no sign of them... what if somebody as the base noticed all the cars coming their way?

And what were the women going to do if the men just didn't refuse to be herded out? Would they have shot one of them? How would they have explained that?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Some very good points here, I forgot that the clothes were so close to the scientists when they found the corpsicle.

I'm guessing the time line is meant to be that Annie found all the cores etc., destroyed them, and then was using her phone when she was attacked and killed (and the video stopped when Clarke stood on her phone)? The lab had the bones in the curved shape in the ceiling, and that's what was seen during her video.

I'm confused by you saying Navarro killed two people though? She shot Wheeler in the flashback alright, but have I already forgotten the second one?

Post edited by jasonb on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,605 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,368 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

A load of rubbish

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

The first was the drunk that beat his wife to death, which was understandable. The second was the scientist that she let freeze. It’s less straightforward as the victim was trespassing to destroy years of work for a discovery that was possibly world changing. How many lives would it save? It’s less clear cut. I thought the discovery could have saved lives of the locals after the pollution and would have redeemed them if they hadn’t killed them as a consequence of the murders which would have been an interesting turn of events.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I watched this to the end and was very disappointed. The storyline was a mess and I was sick of the lousy music cutting in so often, most of it breathy crap. The spooky stuff was way overdone and should have been more subtle.

I came very close to quitting over that episode where it turns out everyone just assumed Clark would be there under the ice, and nobody thought it might be worth investigating the possibility that the one guy unaccounted for might still be out there. And then the big dramatic sweep away with the camera as Florence and the Machine kicks it. Someone thought that was good drama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Curse These Metal Hands

They will never recreate the magic of season 1, even with tacky, on the nose references to it. "Time is a flat circle", he may as well have looked at the camera and winked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I enjoyed it but I get the feeling it ripped off/riffed on Happy Valley without being as good imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭Ezeoul

I watched this for Jodie Foster.

But after watching all six episodes, I am still confused about what the hell was going on.

I kept watching, hoping it would all come together but it never did. So many questions, and so many plot points left unanswered.

Very unsatisfying.

Post edited by Ezeoul on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,129 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Renewing it for season 5 is like it's dead but it won't lie down.

It should be set around a TV studio where people start getting murdered one by one until there's no one left and the lead detective drinks himself to death because the person responsible is never found.

Thats half the plot of the last episode of Murder She Wrote...

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭SimpleDimple

Half way through the third episode and I’m bowing out. I just can’t bring myself to sit through a few more hours of this.

Nominated for a rake of Emmys... acting awards and best limited series as well as technical.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/2024-emmy-nominations-list-1236074176/

Advertisement