Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options
1262728293032»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Myself I think more volume is not always a good thing. For base building I think it’s great but I don’t believe everyone needs huge volume to do well at a Marathon.

If you have the base under you,then a controlled 12-14 week Marathon block should be just as much about quality than volume if not more so imo.

It was only when I started running less, taking more rest/cross training days and focusing on quality that I really made huge gains in my Marathon times.

My approach, Its not for everyone, but I believe more should be trying it than just constantly running more and more easy miles. It’s not something I do year round but I will when I’m focusing on one sole race with a time goal in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭Lazare

No you're right, there certainly are merits to a (relatively) lower volume approach to a block, for sure. Mine topped out at 52 miles which is on the low side, but yet far more than I had been doing.

I guess I'm speaking to an audience here, of newly minted Marathon runners, people who would benefit greatly from what is pretty simple advice. Run a little more.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭FinnC

Ah yeah I agree, newer runners definitely needn’t worry too much yet ,and running a bit more will help them.

I didn’t realise what thread I had posted in if I’m honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

+1 that. Most of us improve a lot over the first few marathons, even more so if you did your first one off a very low base of mileage - ie only really in your first year of regular running, with little or no structure. So with increased (mostly easy) mileage alone you should see a big improvement, and even bigger if your debut was a poor one.

Agree that DM is not a great way to give or take training advice - why not have it out in the open for discussion.

Anyway ye are not novices anymore - the philosophy here has generally been to keep it simple (although I was struck by how many novices wrote in their reports about looking at their heart rate during the race this year, never a great idea IMO). Head on over to the Marathon Improvers thread for maybe more nuanced discussion of different training approaches, and keep an eye out all over the forum for other threads of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Is this a boards.ie version of handing us our Graduation certificate (i.e. moving to the improvers thread)? :)

+1 on hearing an improvers story too as its something I would like learn from too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭rom

1. I found out my max HR accurately. Then I ran all my runs for about 2-3 months at an easy pace which was Max - 50 beats. I used to have an alarm on my watch where I would stop if I went over it.
    2. Increasing volume. I avg 25 miles a week for the first year before first DCM. I avg 40 the 2nd year. By doing 1. I was able to increase volume as all my miles were not hard miles.

While this was true that I reduced effort to HR on most of my runs it meant that I would get faster over time. Now regarding increasing volume. I had a person do only 3/4 easy runs per week at low HR from 1. above. Each run was 4 miles. They were religious about HR also as I have the data. They made crazy improvements over 4 months of just doing that. Once a month they did a 5K race and progressively not faster while doing no other sports.

That person started at 11 min per mile at Max - 50 beats at the start, After 30 days 9:40, 60 days 9:20, 90 days 9:10.

Dec 26th 4M time was 35:05

March 11th 5k time was 21:25

I also know people who perform very well off lowish milage. Yeah some people have more talent but each run should have a focus. Like you should improve the areas that you get the best return for. For people new to running then this is an aerobic base. Become a monster here and then think about speed work etc.

PS I have always done better in races when I take my easy runs very slow. If I forget the above and speed up then I don't run as well in races.

It can get more complex but I know of people who have run sub 3 while only doing easy running at the correct effort level for them. They prob did a lot of it and probably not ideal training but people have.

If you need to drink something when you get back from an easy run then it probably is not an easy run unless it's a very hot day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

In summary, follow Lydiard 😉

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MooShop

How did you find out your max HR accurately? Is there a run test you can do to determine this?

I did a hadd running test https://www.angio.net/personal/run/hadd.pdf

Now this was not super accurate but I did this test monthly.

I also did a lab test that year to get my max HR/Vo2Max/lactic threshold.

So with all of us with smart watches now with HR and run a 5k and sprint the last 600m you get a close enough number.

I suppose my point is that there is a lot of BS talk about new runners that you should do loads of different type of running. However to get good improvements so that you are better than average for your age for marathon then you need to improve endurance.

This is not for people who are trained but this advise change my life so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,457 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Well that simple approach - developing endurance as the most important step, through easy running with sustainable volume - is what this thread has been all about.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Imagine this time last week you all became Marathon runners! Reading through all the race reports here shows so many different experiences & how much running a marathon meant to you personally, I have loved each report. Each and every one of you deserves that medal, no matter how it was achieved, and you should be so proud of yourselves. I'm blown away by the guts and determination of those who fought, clawed, dragged and willed themselves to the finish despite things going sideways many miles from home. The marathon is a beast of a race - you faced it down and won. Well done everyone, I hope you are all so proud of yourselves💛 Keep listening to the body over the next couple of weeks, run easy runs if you feel like it but also give it the rest it needs, I for one have never slept so much in my life!

Graduate's Thread

I'm sure you are all waiting impatiently wondering when the grads thread will appear. Well, I can confirm that the wait is almost over! A poster has been selected & has agreed to lead you on the next steps of your running journey, and that person is currently formulating a "plan of attack" 😉I can promise you that you will be in great hands with this person leading you, and I am really excited to see how you all progress over the coming months. So, keep an eye out as the new thread will appear in the coming days & the very best of luck to each of you on your running journey😊

Yes but even though I was part of the novice thread the first year I certainly didn't really understand what easy really meant. It may sound simple but most beginners don't get what it means.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭TheRef

Well, I think I failed to take enough rest since the marathon. I done some very easy runs and ref'ed 3 games over the weekend. Yesterday during a game, it felt like I was hit with a stone in the back of the calf. Sounds like it could be a torn calf. Physio tomorrow to know how long I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

For anyone interested the Grads Thread has now been set up.You are in the very capable hands of @Lazare who has a lot of experience & knowledge to share. I wish you all the very best on your running journey 😊

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058271128/boards-dcm22-graduates-thread-a-deeper-understanding#latest

Advertisement