Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2022 DCM Novice Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Sorry to hear of the covid break - the main thing though is to recover from it and, in my experience (both from my own covid and talking to other runners) you really need to take it easy when you come back from it - easy runs may feel quite difficult for a number of weeks, even after quite a mild dose. I would honestly recommend that you do not run at all again until you have been testing negative for a few days, and then take things really easy, with an eye on heart rate if you can, for another two weeks, maybe more.

Re the 10-mile race, you will regain fitness by training sensibly rather than racing so I would just run easy until you feel you are feeling normal on easy runs, then just slot back into the plan, without trying to make up for lost weeks.

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Welcome to the thread The Royal Scam. Good to hear the thread was recommended & I hope we can help you as much as possible. Fair play to you getting your runs in on holidays & in that heat. Would it be possible to get some recent times, races or maybe TT's? Cycling is a good compliment to your running & I think it would be best to concentrate on your marathon & not play the football until after it. That's a lot of driving so I think following a plan will hopefully be a good release for you, focusing on our health can always only be a good thing!

Your dream time hopefully can be achieved if you are sensible & follow the plan. Commitment & consistency are key to completing a marathon. In regards to diet & sleep, this is important especially the sleep, making sure you are getting enough will help the body recover properly. I love to run also, nothing really beats it! The buzz being able to tick off the long runs week after week is brilliant...

Very best of luck with your journey

Well done to all for the progress made so far, and good luck for the week ahead!

This week saw us pass the first major landmark on the plans - the Fingal 10k. Some great performances out there this morning. Please feel free to pop up a race report, it would be really good to read how you feel it went. If things didn't go as you'd hoped, don't worry about it. This was not the target race, we're mid-plan, we weren't peaking for this race and we haven't been doing 10k-specific training.

As is now customary, please do a self-assesment of how week 3 went for you:

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - if not, then why not?

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

As always, if you miss a run let it go and don't go chasing the lost miles.

There's no time to rest on your laurels as we press on with week 4:

Plan|Monday|Tuesday|Wednesday|Thursday|Friday|Saturday|Sunday

HHN1|rest|3m easy|4m easy|4m easy|rest|6m lsr|cross

Boards|rest,cross or 3m rec|3m easy|5m easy with 5 x hill sprints|4m easy|rest,cross or 3m rec|13m lsr|3m rec

HHN1

This week sees the midweek run increase from three to four miles and a step back to six for the LSR. Enjoy! 

Boards Plan:

The plan this week sees you increase the Thursday easy run by one mile and the lsr by three miles. You will also do hill sprints on Wednesday. My preference is to do these towards the end of the run but whatever you decide:

- make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for these.

- pick a hill in advance. Ideally, it will be pretty steep. Think: short and sharp.

- these are done fast, but not for long. Think of the sprint for the line at the end of a race.

- count slowly to 8 or 10 for each sprint. There is no benefit in doing them for longer and no need to use your watch.

- after each sprint, walk back or jog very slowly. Recover completely before you start the next one.

- really focus on form: drive the arms to propel you up the hill, lift the knees high and keep the shoulders relaxed. Don't strain.

FINALLY, I know I have mentioned it previously hydration is important at all times, but particularly so given the warm weather we are currently experiencing. Keep well hydrated during the day, with plenty of water, and the occasional electrolyte tab. For your longer runs, find a system that allows you to keep hydrated throughout the run - plenty options have been mentioned previosuly, but any further queries just ask.

Best of luck with the week ahead, and congratulations again to those who raced over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Week 3 done! 

Monday 5k 6:08 / km

Tuesday 5k 6:06 / km

Wednesday 9.6km - 1.5km wu 6.5km PMP 1.6km cool cd 

Friday 5k with strides

Felt the week went well overall. Still need to slow down the easy runs though - working on it. The PMP run was nearly a carbon copy of the previous week except I didn't have the wind as an excuse this time. It was just a bit too quick still. Will work really hard to fix this on the coming PMP runs. 

I moved the Thursday 5km run to Friday. With the 10k coming I did a few strides during this just to get the legs working a bit harder. The 10k went great. As a kind of mini goal I really wanted to do this under 50 minutes - for my first official-on-the-books sub 50 10k. I was confident enough after the Tallaght 5 Mile. But with the sun yesterday I wasn't sure. I took a 500ml bottle of water with me - was surprised more didn't on the day. Actually I was even thinking are you allowed to bring your own water bottle(???). Anyway, it was definitely needed. The course was harder than Tallaght. At least the last mile was pretty much uphill. I was fairly steady and comfortable enough for the first 7km or so but I knew there was tough finish ahead and eased off little. The heat would have been a factor too. I picked things up a bit for the last km and even gave it few extra socks at the finish for a chip time of 48:21(PB) Felt great afterwards too - buzzing tbh! Parked a good mile away too so a nice walk afterwards. 

- After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

Going really well so far I think. I know I still need to slow down the LSRs and easy runs. Also need to dial in the PMP runs. Have managed 5 runs a week each week and I'm delighted with that. Never really ran more than 3 days a week. I know the LSRs are moving into new territory for me really soon too but I'm cautiously looking forward it. The Tallaght 5 mile and the 10k were a real surprise though. I would say since about June of last year I haven't runs more than 2 successive km below 5:00min/km. So to run those 2 as well and feel fairly comfortable too - it's a great boost.  

Congrats on the 10k PB - that's an excellent performance on a difficult day where many struggled. You now have two races - a 5 mile and a 10k to estimate marathon and training paces at, and your times suggest your 4 hour target is very achievable with the right approach (but you will need to build the endurance to get anywhere close to your potential).

You don't mention what you ran that PMP run at - you'll need to share the details if you want good advice.

Recover well now from the 10k effort.

• Advertisement

Well done on that 10k performance on a tough enough course plus that heat! Great to hear the positively in your post, you deserve to be buzzing, nothing quite beats that feeling of not only a pb but putting in a good performance!

I know I keep saying it but consistency is key & it's great to see how consistent you are with getting the 5 days running in. Keep going like this & you will reap the rewards in the marathon.

Best of luck with this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Well Folks

Going to jump on board for this.

At 36 years old(37 by October) DCM 2022 will be my first marathon.

Have been running for a couple of years but nothing structured. Out for 5k a few evenings a week and maybe a bit longer at the weekend if time/life allowed.

Completed the Fingal 10k yesterday with a chip time of 49:59 which was ok. Kept saying I wanted to break 50 but in my head I wanted 48 but the heat really caused me more issues than I was expecting. Was a good eye opener for what to look out for the week of a big run.

One thing that really suprised me was how hard it was to keep concentrated without my earphones in. Definitely something I need to incorporate in to training runs.

Going to start with the Week 4 of the HHN1 plan as that will be most realistic to fit in around work and family life.

Looking forward to getting in some proper preparation.

Will keep ye posted!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭MisterJinx

Week 3 done and feeling lucky that the holidays worked out in a way that I was able to get out for runs and keep the consistency going as both kids went to kids club in the morningv which was a first and allowed us to get out. LSR's and PMP runs fine as per the plan. Took the second PMP a little more controlled at 4.48/km pace and HR stayed below 160 for that session which was good considering the heat (high 20's or early 30's that morning!)

Have picked my hill for the mid week session!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭Adiaga 2

Thanks @Murph_D and @Laineyfrecks !!

I've attached the splits from last wednesday's PMP run. Aiming for pace around 5:39 / km - just for now. Can revise this up if needed maybe after the 10 mile.

On the hill sprints - I have a hill in mind but it's about 100m or so. So for each rep I should count to ten and turn back? Maybe making around halfway up the 100m length?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Great stuff and welcome. You have a good starting point now with a solid time to work your paces off. If you are interested in joining the strava group , drop Laineyfrecks a pm.

There is no harm in earphones but at one stage I was over reliable on them. I think some longer solo runs they become a great distraction and that is the only time I use them now. Shorter runs are probably where you can occasionally cut them out initially. Been alone with your thoughts is often underrated, in my opinion.

• Advertisement

Fair play..Good consistency while on hols- not always easy to get yourself out of bed.

On the hill sprints part, yeh I think that hill is fine and go with the 8-10 second slow count. You may be surprised how far you get up that hill. I will double down on laineys advice here and actually say just walk the recoveries, especially if its warm. It will help with consistently covering the same distance over the hill reps.

Cheers for sharing that - Ok, I can see you're struggling to hit that 5:39 alright - the good news I suppose is that your race times suggest you can probably go down to the 5:20s and still be in your marathon training range. I'd say for now try to stay in the 5:30s, using average pace on your watch if you can to regulate your speed (learning to run by feel is also very important, but sometimes the watch can help to get you to the pace in the first place so you can learn what it should feel like, if you get my drift.)

Good work - keep an eye on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Week 3 - Planned run distance 35km actual 35.3km

Monday - Swim 2200m

Tuesday - 5km easy 5:46/km pace 142bpm

Wednesday - Morning swim 2000M afternoon 10k run as 2 km warmup 6.5km a little slower than PMP (5:40/km 157BPM) 1.5km cool down

Thursday - 5km recovery 6:16/km 135bpm

Friday - Rest

Saturday - 5km easy pushing the buggy 6:39/km 145BPM into Easy 25 minute bike after with the childseat on board

Sunday - Fingal 10km - Previous PB was the same race in 2017 at 51:46. Race plan was to go sub 49 minutes using the Vdot calculator and the Tallaght 5 mile time and hold 172 bpm as a target zone. Held an average of 171bpm hit 47:30 chiptime. Absolutely delighted with the improvement, held the exact same heartrate in 2017 but a lot faster. I stopped at the two water stations, one cup over the head one cup into the mouth and started running again. Second half 5 seconds quicker than the first half which is a good sign too.

Oops, I think the hill I had in mind is too long, it's 200 meters... Should I find anther one?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Week 3 done for me, I was away on hols from the Thursday on so I swapped weeks 3 & 4 of the boards plan

I ended up doing

Mon: 8k

Wed: 21km

Fri: 8km

Sun: 8km

All runs are around 5:40 pace, still probably need to slow that slightly. Hoping for a sub 4 on the big day. I was pretty happy with how comfortable I was on the half as it was my first one in a while.

The last 2 runs away were tough in the heat but got through them

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Just run up part of it if it’s too long?

• Advertisement

5:40 is pretty much bang on 4 hour marathon pace, so you are doing ALL your runs at marathon pace - which is not a good idea. Those easy runs need to be 25-40s slower per km, if you want your body to adapt to get you through a marathon at 5:40 pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Dublin334

Hi Everyone - Week 3 update

- Did you get in all the runs on your plan - Yes, all the runs were completed as per Boards Plan

- Did you run the runs at an appropriate pace?

My 3 easy runs were are 5.50 min/km pace and the run at PMP was 5.34. HR for the easy run was steady around 125-130 average. For the PMP it averaged at 137. I felt comfortable with all of those runs.

Fingal 10K - ran OK for first 5km (23min) but fell apart in the second 5km (26 mins)...overall 4.54 min/km pace. Its been a while since I ran at that pace so it was probably a combination of that and the heat but I had to stop and walk at a couple of points in the last few kms. HR for all 10K was 150-160. I was surprised at how badly i felt for the second half as I presumed my stamina would be good with all the miles put in the previous weeks. Normally Id try and run faster in the second half of a race.

After three weeks, how do you feel your training is progressing?

In general, I have been able to stick to the plan and complete the weekly mileage and number of runs. The Fingal 10K worried me, as I'd normally be comfortable running that distance, but perhaps the heat had a bigger effect on me than I planned. I am going to try and plan a water break for the LSR and maybe an energy gel just to see how I handle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Masch8933

The last week I got all my runs in (I am following the McMillan plan 4 days a week)

I thought I was doing an easy pace at 6:20 mkm. But I know I need to ease off much more, as I would be happy with the average pace on the day

I feel the past week I have regressed but I put it down to being sick and the heat here in Switzerland (some runs at lunch time were at 32 degrees and Sunday morning at 9am ran at 25 degrees). The previous week I was running longer distances without problem but the week gone the legs felt weak and the breathing was poor!

Will see how the coming week goes....will need to find good times to run and they expect here the weather to stay above 32degrees at least until early August

Well done on your 10k time, always great to get a nice surprise(timewise) at the end of a race! Your time for this is very similar to Adiago 2 so I would look at the advice given to him by @Murph_D . All your runs look fine except for the Tuesday easy 5km, you need to slow that pace down like Thursdays. Well done on your training so far!

Firstly well done on sticking to the plan & getting the runs done at the correct paces.

I'm sorry to hear that Fingal 10k didn't go to plan, the heat would have played a big factor but the truth is sometimes races just don't go the way we would like them too but I wouldn't let it dishearten you. We are still early into the plan so as you have already done, move on & learn from it. I think it's a good idea to practice hydrating & fueling in your weekly long runs. It will help you decide what works best for you & give you enough time to play around with different things, the last thing anyone wants is to realise on the day that a certain gel doesn't work for them etc.

Well done so far!

Do you have any recent race times or TT's to base your training off? I know you had put down the half marathon, when was that? Also do you have a goal time for completing the Marathon as it would help us to advise you on your paces.

Yes coming back from sickness on top of the heat won't be easy, you really need to listen to your body. If your legs are weak & breathing is poor I'd say maybe you weren't completely recovered from your illness?

Running in this heat is hard so you need to take that into account, adjust your times accordingly, be sensible, run when it's not so hot(hard I know) & make sure you are well hydrated.

Best of luck with this week😊

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭ccull123

Hi all,

can anyone advise for the session tomorrow what is the structure. How long is each hill sprint and is the a recovery in between?

many thanks

If you check back you will see the following advice from your mentor:

_______

You will also do hill sprints on Wednesday. My preference is to do these towards the end of the run but whatever you decide:

- make sure you are thoroughly warmed up for these.

- pick a hill in advance. Ideally, it will be pretty steep. Think: short and sharp.

- these are done fast, but not for long. Think of the sprint for the line at the end of a race.

- count slowly to 8 or 10 for each sprint. There is no benefit in doing them for longer and no need to use your watch.

- after each sprint, walk back or jog very slowly. Recover completely before you start the next one.

- really focus on form: drive the arms to propel you up the hill, lift the knees high and keep the shoulders relaxed. Don't strain.

Great to be asking the question but important also to be paying attention. 😉

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dublinlad1989

Update from me.

Training kind of fell off in June with Holidays and a few other bits but have been back on track for the last few weeks.

Completed the Fingal 10km on sunday and it was a really good race with a nice route, i performed terribly at it due to a number of things. The heat, my breakfast before hand and i didn't bring enough water with me for the race (Basically a complete lack of preparation). Ended up finishing it in 1 hour 4 mins which is my worst 10km ever.

To be honest though i'm kind of glad it happened, its made me realise how important preparation is before any run and I'd rather it happen with a 10km than the 10 mile or HM and i'm not disheartened at all :)

Back out training this week and going well so far even with the ridiculously hot weather we've been having.

Being in the Strava group is a big motivator so anyone not in it i'd highly recommend!

Advertisement