Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kennedy's Bar

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

I would say the average pint of lager in Dublin is now over 7 euros.

but everywhere is hopping.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,774 ✭✭✭deezell

Must be all the hops they put in the beer, unless you mean hopping mad at the prices charged. The €10 pint can't be too far away. The €20 barfood burger and chips is already a reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,996 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I'll not be drinking in Dublin again. Was fleeced in several pubs at the weekend. 7.50 for a pint of lager when its only 5 euro in my local in Dundalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Compare the insurance costs, rates, electricity etc and then you will see why things are more expensive in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭monseiur

The punters/drinkers have to vote with their feet, after a few weekends with with bar stools, silent tills/tap tap, idle bar staff the rip off merchants will get the message. Hit them in their pockets, that where it really hurts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was in Kennedys for the first time since my student days a couple of months ago. The Guinness was brutal, I don't ever remember it being that bad, even when it was mainly a student pub. Way better pints in the Lincoln Inn.

Small glass of wine is up 50%, though wine is as cheap wholesale as it ever was. They pulled this stunt by saying wine went up because of minimum pricing, the 4.99 bottleis now 8 minimum, but that only applies to retail. The cnuts will use any excuse to fleece customers. Its disgusting being asked €9 for a measly 15cl glass of house wine. I bought a full bottle of wine in Holland for 2.99 in their AH supermarkets, same wine that was 8.50 a glass here in a bar restaurant.

Tip; btw, you can bring liquids through Amsterdam airport security, they have the new intelligent scanners, so 4+ bottles in you cabin bag, no probs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Nine times out of ten the wine is horrific too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Count Dracula

I would say you are talking Rochdale or Stockport or similar toilet housing schemes. The Bulls Head or the Red Lion or say The Vultures Perch etc. Full of mild neo Nazi types you think that Enoch Powell was some sort of a British Patriot. I would rather get the train to Bradord, or Leeds, nicer pints in Yorkshire... and people.

Manchester is immensely overrated and quite bland. A bit like their cheap pints.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It is the Hare and Hounds pub in Shudehill, Manchester, as you can read at the link.

This is within the inner ring road, so it is not in the suburbs.

£2.90 in July 2022, about 1km from main railway station.

Under 3.50 euro for a pint, compare that to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,586 ✭✭✭BlueSkyDreams

You prefer Bradford over Manchester?

You are the first :)

Still a kip I would say.

Full of Mancunian dole hounds, Altringham Fans and Bar Fly's with war stories about the Hacienda.

Does it have any Lowry prints signed by Status Quo?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,491 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

They do vote with their feet and that's why pubs are packed.

I'd say in reality the serial moaners are a tiny minority.

The 'serial moaners' are mostly working people who are puzzled why their income is almost entirely consumed paying day to day living expenses, and have so little left for amusement, and when they do venture out it's extortionate.

Even a bottle of wine at home has been inflated by double thanks to the nanny state minimum pricing. The hospitality industry are pretending they had to pay this massive hike on beer and wine, (they didn't) and used it to hoist beverage prices far beyond inflation. €6 to €8.50 for a glass of plonk is a fairly average hike over the last two years, thats a 41.5% increase.

There will always be young people who will blow their weeks pay in the pubs, they did in the 70s when the country hadn't an arse in its trousers, but the pubs were packed.

Btw, the Munster fans in Cape Town last week paid €2 a pint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,531 ✭✭✭Gusser09

What's your point though? Are there similar pubs in Ireland where the dole scroungers drink for 2 quid a pint? No.

Uk would have fairly similar costs of running a pub as there are in Ireland so it shows you the profits the publicans are raking in over here. I was never more happy to see them having their arses handed to them during covid. Fxxk them.

The minimum pricing farce had nothing to do with rehabilitating winos and ditch drinkers, rather it was a ploy to make it less attractive to drink at home (or in a field). It was a sop to the VFI and restaurants. They've now levered the high off license cost of wine/beer to restore the relativity to licensed premises cost, making it less obvious you're being fleeced. The consumer is now unaware how little 500ml of beer or a bottle of table wine actually costs, until you go abroad. The vintners still have huge influence, the VAT and duty take is enormous, so revenue are happy to conspire with them to empty your pockets for a few litres of what is 95% tap water.

You think publicans are making money ?

Never been easier to get a licence.

You will never gain a drop of respect by trying to politicise the price of booze.

Clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

There are always pubs closing down and pubs for sale.

The serial moaners never want to acknowledge this though, always highlighting the most expensive places, while 200 metres down the road a pint could be €4.50 instead of €6.50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Insurance and utilities are two other rip offs in their own right in Ireland contributing to inflation.

Advertisement