Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Landlord Repairs

• 27-05-2022 12:33pm

If a landlord instructs a tenant to move out from a property temporarily so he can carry out plumbing repairs and the tenant agrees, does the tenant give up any rights in relation to his lease agreement?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,532 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Is this an exam question? Because in a real world scenario, the first response would be: what does the tenant think about the landlord's claim that he has to get everyone out to repair the plumbing i.e. what's wrong with the plumbing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

And will LL pay for the temporary accommodation, I would imagine

It's a genuine scenario

But shouldn't the LL pay for the temporary accommodation for the tenants? This then wouldn't break any tenancy.

If it's something like a leak that requires tenants to move out then LL insurance will pay the accommodation

Seems like a very strange situation to me. I'm a plumber myself and the only thing I can think of that might require tenants to move out for is a complete bathroom remodeling. Even this should be done in 5 straight days

Can you describe the extent of the necessary 'repairs'? Has the landlord suggested how long they will take?

When the landlord 'instructs' the tenant to 'move out', does he mean that the tenant should remove all of their belongings from the apartment? If the answer is 'yes' then this is an eviction by stealth.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

We wound up having to move out temporarily after the neighbour's cistern broke over Christmas while we and they were on holiday. It flooded out the neighbour's apartment, went through ours, and was only noticed when water made it through to the apartment on the other side. We had to move out while the place was dried out and the carpets were relaid. The landlord picked up the hotel bill.

That was a good outcome for you. But when I asked the OP 'what's wrong with the plumbing?' all I got was: 'it's a genuine scenario'. Which was probably a response to my query as to whether this was an exam question. We still have no idea if there is a genuine need to get the tenant(s) out so that these 'plumbing repairs' can be carried out.

This is exactly what I'd expect to happen. Either the neighbors or your LLs insurance pays for the Hotel.

It seems very strange that tenant has been told to move out without LL agreeing to pay expenses

Advertisement