Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

contract-rear replacement ewe lambs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

I suppose a few details would need to be worked out in advance such as losses, vaccinations, shearing, dosing, vet fees and meal/fodder.

Im thinking that if the contractor carried the can for all of those then €60 a head might make it worthwhile for both parties?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭148multi

Would any lad buying ewes lambs and selling as hoggets clear €60.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

I think he wouldn’t have a chance of clearing €60 a head. The expenses of losses, shearing, dosing, vet fees, meal/fodder and other miscellaneous (transport, fence maintenance, drainage, hedge cutting, fertilizer, lime, sprays, machinery maintenance, diesel etc) would severely eat into the €60.

Woudn’t be much pay for all the labour or return for the use of the land out of the €60 in my opinion so not a great deal for the contractor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Would €60 cover feed for the year with meal over €12, silage probably over €30, and fertiliser €50 a bag.

It'd want to be a low stocking rate for €60 to do it.

I think It'd be hard to pay either man for contract reared ewe lambs. You'd sell ewe lambs and buy back as hoggetts cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭razor8

Personally I think it’s a no brainer to lamb ewe lambs but it does take good management

if you have a good flock of replacements that are performance recorded I would fancy to option of selling & buying in hoggets that’s a pot luck game

• Advertisement
Advertisement