Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022 Round 7 - Monaco

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Images from LEC on-board look like he didn't cross

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Ferrari have protested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

An interesting Monaco race, but only due to outside circumstances, still very much a procession when cars are on track.

Delighted for Checo, when Ferrari screwed up it was his race to lose. Only 15 points between him and Max now, and as Nico noted he’s a lot closer pace wise this year. He’s in the championship battle and hopefully RB can let them race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Hamilton has regularly struggled at corners the last few years tbf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

Not to take anything away from Perez but the gap is helped by the extra DNF for Verstappen due to technical issue.

On the other hand, reversing the 1-2 finish from last week would put Perez within a point of Verstappen assuming Perez still got the fastest lap.

Perez has out qualified him a few times this season also.

He is certainly proving the critics wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

There was comment from Ferrari that the race notes said you must keep to the right of the line, so being on the line could be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JSNNSJ

Really would've loved to see how the raced would've panned out if they started at the original time, teams had loads of different tyres on it would've made for an amazing clusterfuck.

The Ocon penalty wasn't for turn 1 which was shown on replays...it was for a different incident when Ocon squeezed Hamilton down the straight. Seemed fair on review.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

Ferrari should focus on getting their driver to the weighing bridge at the appropiate time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

It’s a bit much to say he’s outperforming the car, it’s the third best on the grid by a wide margin. 5th and 6th should be their minimum every week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,711 ✭✭✭This is it

Ferrari so disappointing. Absolute joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Lets be fair, none of the teams have exactly covered themselves in glory this year. Last time Red Bull had a dodgy DRS, Mercedes-Benz are nowhere near where'd we expect them, McLaren keep going up and down, who knows what Alonso is doing, Aston-Martin are struggling, Willams are poor. Alpha and Alfa seem to be the most consistent.

80% of the time the lead car has the advantage when it comes to strategy but Ferrari were a bit stuck today. Though they weren't showing laptimes or gaps so maybe they did really f up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭A.Gorilla

The protest has been thrown out. Results stand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Fantastic

He has finished behind a car other than a Ferrari or Red Bull once - his team mate in the season opener.

He has finished ahead of a Ferrari in a race. (Yes Sainz made a mistake but still.)

He is ahead of a Ferrari driver in the standings.

Overall the Mercedes is third best in on average in the races to date, but not in qualifying, meaning they have started out of position a few times.

Plus the Mercedes hasn’t been consistently the third best car in every race. Plus the margin to other teams isn’t consistently wide.

So apart from one single position in 7 races he has got the maximum result and given the inconsistency of the car across the 7 races and the qualifying pace this is more than that car deserves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Not a bad day at the office for Latifi. He didn't come last, or crash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

I thought he touched the barrier on one of the formation laps and had to replace his nose? 😂

Not as bad as binning it, but still embarrassing.

Yeah it wasn't lap 1, it was a formation lap. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Wow that was a good race after all. Delighted for Sergio. Dissapointed for Charles. He seems to be just cursed when it comes to winning his home race. As we Irish like to say There is always next year so Charles Maybe next year.

Ferrari messed up strategy wise.

If they keep doing that the this will be Red Bulls season and Maxs Championship or Sergios to win.

A bad day at the office for Haas.

Not great for Alpine either.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Race documents say it was for turn 1.

Awful ruling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It was great that Sainz today dictated his own race while Ferrari messed up the LeClerc's race. I'm happy that Sainz was a buffer for Perez against Verstappen otherwise Perez would have been asked to give up the position again.

So looking at the points, Ver on 125 and Perez 110. Had Perez kept his position last week, the two drivers would be a point a part. I'm hoping for a Perez win in the championship.

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Advertisement

Two former Sauber drivers win today.

It was on the straight just going into turn 1 i thought

Nope

Fact: Collision with Car 44 at turn 1

Reason:  The Stewards reviewed the video evidence and noted that on approach to Turn 1 there was a significant portion of Car 44 alongside Car 31 and therefore applying the2022 Driving Standards Guidelines, Car 44 was entitled to racing room in Turn 1.

Not sure how:

1. They deemed a wing is significant portion

2. How drivers can judge a front wing is in line with their rear tyre while judging a breaking point and hiting an apex

3. Where they wanted Ocon to go given the severity of the turn with no run off after a straight.

Seems very very harsh.

Does Ocon live in Monaco as well?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Who was the chic with the pink hair the cameras picked up ?

Saw her as well, thought she was off some kids TV show. White jump suit and candy floss hair.

• Advertisement

I was thinking Anime cosplay, not kid friendly.

I think at the time of the collision Hamilton had tried to back out and avoid contact (so it was front wing to rear wheel) but before that he was further alongside

this story has an image that might show it

Tricky one to decipher, if Hamilton is backing out is Ocon entitled to the racing line or does he still need to give a cars width. Can't find any decent camera angles, the stewards seem to have decent ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭quokula

Good race overall. I suspect it would have been an even better race if race control were in any way competent and started it when it should have started, when there were a variety of starter tyre choices among the teams. But the utter shambles of the first hour is pretty much par for the course when it comes to the FIA's mishandling of things over the last few years.

Still, Monaco delivered a fascinating and unorthodox race that underlined why it would be a travesty if it was removed from the calendar. Id take that sort of strategic cat and mouse, and rare but incredible overtakes like the ones from Gasly over 1,000 DRS fly-bys on long straights that seem to be considered the definition of good racing these days.

Great race from Perez and a well deserved victory. He was on it all weekend and as usual Red Bull were far more on the ball than Ferrari when it came to strategy. Checo barely put a wheel wrong all weekend, though he probably should have done a better job controlling the race and protecting his tyres in the final stint, like Alonso did. I think the utterly idiotic conspiracy theory that Red Bull were favouring Verstappen over Perez has been thoroughly put to bed now after they gave Sergio the priority on strategy given that he had the slight edge, in contrast to the last race when Max was on fresh tyres and a couple of seconds per lap faster than Checo who had to stop again, so it made no sense to have them risk tripping over each other in that case when it was already inevitable who'd come out on top.

Very strong race from Sainz too, hopefully this will give him the confidence boost to start turning his season around. He showed last year that he has it in him to beat Leclerc over a season in the same car. I do think races like today where they're under more pressure are where Sainz shines relative to his teammate. He overrode the team and made the perfect strategy call while Leclerc didn't read the race in the same way and went along with the clowns in the pitlane. Charles has yet to ever win a race in any situation other than a straightforward pole to flag race and that's probably a weakness of his and one of the reasons he struggled compared to Carlos back when the Ferraris were in among the pack.

Pretty anonymous race from Max. I think that's the first ever time in their 20 odd races as teammates that Checo has actually had the pace to match him. But it was a mature race, he kept calm and ultimately stretched out his lead in the championship thanks to Ferrari's poor calls which he'll have to be satisfied with.

Russell had another lonely in no man's land as usual with a car slower than the top two teams and much faster than the rest of the field, claiming fifth by default. His teammate had yet another shocker of a performance, embarrassing himself once again. It was amusing watching him being schooled by Alonso though.

Lando superb again, getting closer to the lead Mercedes than that car had any right to be. I'm a bit mystified how inexplicably pissed off he seemed every time he was on the radio but he is still recovering from illness.

Honorable mention to Gasly for providing all the early action, and Vettel as the other driver making the brave call to go early onto inters. It was the correct call in terms of pace, but track position was worth more and ultimately it worked out badly for both of them. They probably anticipated everyone else would come streaming in a few laps later, but it never happened.

Overall it was an excellent race, marred only by dreadful race direction and dreadful tv direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Killinator

It was most certainly not an excellent 'race'.

Monaco does not permit proper racing. Alonso's display was a perfect example of why Monaco sucks as a race track, to be able to slow down by 2 or 3 seconds a lap and nobody could get past, it wasn't 'schooling' Hamilton, because as you'll notice nobody could get past Hamilton, and nobody could get past the guy behind him and so on and so on. If you need to be 2 or 3 seconds a lap faster to have even a small chance to pass someone on a track then something is wrong with the track.

It was eventful, but not because of the racing but because of everything else other than the racing.

Gasly could overtake, on corners. None of that DRS shite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Can't agree that it was a good race. It was an enjoyable spectacle alright, but the fact that the top 4 cars were together for the last section fo the race, separated by only a few seconds from 1st to 4th and at no point did it seem like it was ever going to change order shows how futile it is racing in Monaco. The cars are too big and the track is too small.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,952 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Enjoyed that in the end.

Ferrari being Ferrari, it would pain me more if I really liked the drivers but I am indifferent really.

Delighted for Perez, he was faster than Max all weekend, deserved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭oceanman

doubt it...as number 2 driver he will always be told to move over for leclerc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭guyfo

It was a pretty decent "race" actually. Strategy, changing weather, using track characteristics to your advantage as well as curveballs like safety cars and red flags are all part of racing.

I think you are confusing "racing" with "overtaking".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

In away its sad that the Rain was needed to give the viewer a race of sorts. It was entertaining, but at the same time things like Alonso deciding to trundle around for a long spell in the middle of the track where there is no place to over take shows the problem with the track . The cars are just too big to work here . Durning that spell and just after it , there was a line of cars behind Bottas , Vettel , Gasly Riccardo and Stroll all 0.2 -0.3s behind each other flying through the turns and not a mistake between them, The few clips they showed of it were amazing ...Yuki was in this group as well for a while but lost it . given how close the gaps were on a race track there would have been over takes .....you just cannot risk it here any more .

it was good For Perez to get the win , he was pretty much on it all weekend bar the Qual accident . and Sainz was having a good weekend as well . actually would have been happy for either of those to Come out on top.

Post edited by Joeface on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭McFly85

I think overtaking is a pretty instrumental part of racing, though. A track shouldn’t need weather to make it interesting. RB made the call to go onto mediums to protect themselves but they actually offered basically no pace advantage and weren’t punished because you can’t overtake.

I would hate to see it go because I think it’s synonymous with F1 and probably still one of the most watched races, but it might be time to start thinking about changing the track layout at the very least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Ah I know but maybe a time where leclerc is no where or has dnf'd I'm thinking, but then again he did out preform leclerc last year.

The season is looking like redbulls to lose even though it's still early. Cause well Ferrari gonna Ferrari

Not sure if this was shown during the race

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,295 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Is that what he got the penalty for? Hard to tell if he moved across, but either way there wasn't a gap there looking back.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

I'd like to see some sort of time trial event for Monaco on the Sunday. I don't know what the details would be but I do know that I would not like to see Monaco go, the track is iconic (so changing the track layout would be a shame) and qualifying on Saturday is exciting. The only solution I can think of that satisfies all those conditions is a time trial event.

Alternatively we could have a race that is usually boring and sometimes interesting like this year's. The reason we go to different tracks is for different types of races and Monaco delivered on that front this year. Unfortunately that doesn't happen every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Joeface

all the overtakes that happened and none shown

Three from Vettel ...never saw any of them .

https://twitter DOT com/F1ToRuleThemAll/status/1530964013244469249

There was a decent one from Stroll on Yuki as well , Risky but fun .

Never showned Russell on Norris ...didnt even know that happened on track .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭flazio

You have to keep in mind that Monaco is an outlier in that it's the only race left that uses its local TV company to produce the world feed pictures. Everywhere else uses a London based company called "FOM" and its long been known that they aren't great at it.

• Advertisement

Interesting article (not the helmet stuff):

“When asked if Hamilton could have battled with George Russell and Lando Norris for fifth had it not been for the Alpines – with Hamilton having earlier made contact with Alonso's teammate Esteban Ocon – Shovlin responded: "Almost certainly, yes.”

Firstly he got a new front wing during the red flag, so let’s discount the ‘contact’.

Secondly he spent lap after lap unable to get past Alonso.

Fair enough it is Monaco, but to then say he ‘could have battled with George Russell and Lando Norris for fifth’ when he couldn’t move up from 8th to 7th versus a car driving slowly ahead of him seems naive.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement