Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ora 03 (formerly Funky Cat)

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Further gouging? :D .. assuming its a 2nd hand fiesta as no longer made?

And 2nd Hand car market has gone nuts also, prices raised to meet the high price ev's perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭aidanodr

@AMKC For price of one funky cat here in Ireland €29,995 you could buy TWO in China €14000. Something not right there at all?

I understand all the transport, shipping costs etc BUT thats taking the pee

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Price of goods is based on positioning in the market and what you think you can charge customers to sell the number of goods that you want too. Welcome to capitalism

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭innrain

Are we comparing a brand new EV with a second hand car? The point you made is that this Ora Funky Cat and most EV's are more expensive than ICE counterparts. I'm trying to point out that it is not really the case as ICEs have got very expensive as well.

Nissan appears to have discontinued Micra so Juke is their smallest ICE which is only 30.4k for the cheapest automatic while Leaf is 28.5k. And the list can go on.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,990 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

The Ora (as an owner of one of the only ones I've seen on the roads here!) is not the cheapest car from china, the MG4 is significantly cheaper. It's targeting a specific demographic. The same demographic that bought the New Beetle in the early 00's and the one that buys the New Mini since '04. It's competing on quirks and "cute" as opposed to pure price.

PS: Have you worked out the price on a 14k EUR car from china? Add in customs, vat, VRT, cost of EU homologation, shipping etc and you're at over double the price anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Is ours actually the same car as in China or has there been changes made for EU standards, also pushing the price a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭MarkN

oh. that changed since we got ours.

I know for the ora the price reduction came along with a hike in interest rates meaning its much of a muchness unless buyig in cash

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Sadly, the Funky Cat name is being killed off next year. Great Wall Motors are changing to a new naming scheme for both Ora and Wey.

Funky Cat will be GWM Ora 03. Lightning Cat will be GWM Ora 07.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Funky cat is better

• Advertisement

Yeah that's mad. Ours will be a funky cat forever and not interested in a GWM 07, whereas I would have been in a Lightning Cat.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I agree. Plan to buy a second hand one in the future if there are any.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

A nice review of the O3 formally Funky Cat here,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Anyone have any experience of these? https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/gwm-ora-03-300-pro-242-offer/36098665

Seem to be great value for decent sized car/battery. No Ora dealers near me so no hope of getting to kick the tyres; appreciate any first hand review.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,085 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm pretty sure @ELM327 has one.

That dealer is in Wexford and they have MG and Peugeot as well. I haven't dealt with them personally but I know someone who has bought three cars off them and have never had an issue with sorting a deal, warranty issues or service afterwards.

not a bad price, their sales have been exceptionally low in Ireland, will they still be trading here in a year or two would be my concern…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Are they they funky cats by another name?

We have one, it's the mrs's car really, we use the Tesla for longer driving etc, our ora is a 232 and only has 10k km on it!

It's a nice car, very comfortable etc but there are a heck of a lot more cons than pros on the list. A few of my main bugbears are:

-It doesnt use regen when the "autopilot" is on. Big issue. Massive efficiency loss on motorways
    -In car operating system is buggy, slow and often unresponsive, resulting in me having to use the voice commands, leading to:
    - I hate voice commands at the best of times, but this car is pretty bad compared to the tesla on picking up my relatively flat accent.
    -Scheduled charging does not, and has never worked, since we had the car
    -Range is bad for the battery size. It's about the same as my old Ioniq28 +/-10%, pathetic in a smaller car with a bigger battery.
    -DC charging is slooooooooooooooo…ooooooooooo…ooooooowwwwww

It's grand as a second car or for someone who doesnt drive long distances. If you do less than 150km in a day, this is fine range wise. I didnt want it initially as it was overpriced (and still is compared to other cars in its class), and nothing has made me change my mind since. I don't drive it. I drive the Tesla on long trips, my Leaf24 on short trips, my w210 V6 for fun, and my diesel XC90 if I need to tow anything or transport a load (more than 5 people or luggage/cargo etc).

TLDR: Don't. Get a nearly new tesla from inventory. Or a VW/MEB car, these are going cheap too. Or an MG5, my dad has one and they are a great drive with much better range for similar money.
    EDIT: Actually from that dealer you linked (which is actually just down the road from me and didnt exist when we got our Ora in Dublin), this MG is a vastly better option

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-mg4-lr-exclusive-435kms-range/37308142?campaign=6

but my person preference from the MG range (again at that same dealer) is this mg5
    https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/mg-5-lr-exclusive-ex-demo-sale/35475159?campaign=6

GWM ran into issues trying to trademark Cat as a range name because Caterpillar already have it, and sell merch etc as well as diggers and heavy plant. So they changed to an awful bland Ora 3.

They have done relatively better in the UK where they have competitive lease deals and are (i believe) on the mobility and salary sacrifice schemes. We don't have them really over here. I think I've only ever seen two Oras in the wild outside the dealers.

As I say in my post above, awful cars and I wish we didnt get ours! (But a happy mrs and crappy car for her is a price worth paying 😁)

• Advertisement

I believe a lot of the stock that was here has been relocated to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ilvar

@ELM327 if you don't have CarPlay, Android Auto and Satnav on a 2023 car, you can update softaware via a dealer (bc OTA of course doesn't work). I did with Citroen dealer in Swords

We got it done last september. The onboard systems are awful so carplay is a must!

Advertisement