Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,584 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

There are 9 posts on the previous page relating to the handling service for the airline being independent of DAA. You replied to some of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

# 452 explains so that was said before and i missed?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,500 ✭✭✭Damien360

At the airport this morning 9am T1 for a 12pm departure.

Check in a doddle. I have my boarding pass on phone. My baggage for the hold was self weighed and attach label. Simple stuff.

Security queue is 50mins. It is constantly moving so not too bad. Snakes around from check in area 7 to security area. Fast pass looked like it was stalled. Inside 90% of all bags are getting diverted for extra screening. That’s the hold up. It’s not completely stupid people and the vast majority appear to be random wipe downs for drugs/explosives.

There are still idiots though. One lad just a few people ahead of me had a whole 2L bottle of coke that was taken out of his bag.

Just before security check is a boarding pass scanner (automated). You won’t get through if you are more than 5 hours ahead of your flight. I only know that because a woman was pulled aside near me and told this.

Other side is very busy with no seating. Toilets are clean (I’m down by gate 100’s).

I can safely say they chaos reported a few weeks ago is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭avud

Flying to Edinburgh on ryanair next month at 15.00, can someone please say what time I'd need to arrive at the airport at.

• Advertisement

From reading other sources online and reading this thread, my own € 0.02 is that there seems to be a certain Attitude adopted and embraced by the DAA in that "When the Cat is Away, the Mice are at Play". The "Cat" in this case being the Media and the "Mice" being a metaphor for "well, the media are'nt here so, back to same old carry on everybody!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

You can safely say that even though people were in queues for 2-3 hours at times yesterday morning and missed flights? Fair play to ya.

Didn’t hear about that, how many missed flights yesterday, where did you read that?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Anyone who goes to the security lane with a 2 litre bottle of coke in their bag should be sent home and put on a no fly list for the rest of their life.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This was an email sent by Ryanair for a flight to Manchester last Wednesday.

I expect you will receive an updated version before your flight.

As it happened all went smoothly.

As we are experiencing security delays at Dublin Airport, we recommend you arrive:

• 2.5 hours before your scheduled departure if you only have hand baggage with you.

• 3.5 hours before your scheduled departure time if you need to check in any baggage as our check-in desks and self-service kiosks will be open.

Please be advised that Dublin airport is currently experiencing delays at security but if you follow the above, it will help you avoid congestion inside the airport terminal.

In order to reduce your time at security, please ensure you are prepared by removing electronics/liquids etc from your bags and place them in a separate tray.

Thank you for choosing to fly with us and we wish you a pleasant flight.

Best Regards,

Ryanair Customer Care Team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭vegandinner

I’ve flown 5 times in the last month. Worst security wait was 55mins. Best was 15 average about 30-35 so still pretty slow, but manageable.

in DUB my bag got pulled for a random swab check 3 times. This did not happen at any other airport, is it possible that DUB have the random test threshold set too high?

no hot food in T2 after 5:30pm

toilets in both t1 and t2 are horrible, generally the place is dirty and smelly.

big queues for coffee etc

Was all over social media again yesterday morning. No clue how many flights were missed but saw a couple of people saying they were stuck in queues for 2-3 hours and missed their flights.

Interesting, I can’t find any mention of it. Is a couple of people missing flights unusual?

Yes it is interesting, and very topical. People missing flights is very normal, hence why airlines oversell flights. There can be many reasons for this, but that reason being stuck in a security queue for 2-3 hours I would say is very unusual (in normal times at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

A queue of 50 minutes is still ridiculous. The fact that people seem to find that acceptable is proof of how **** the airport has got.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭omeara1113

Ok my experience going to Turkey Saturday started queuing at 10 minutes to 1 for 5.45 flight didn't get boarding cards until 4 started queuing at area 7 for security for flight at 5.40 started asking people if they Minded me jumping the que as I thought I was going to miss my flight got through at 5.50 to run to gate 224( a mile away) ran through the airport to get to our gate at 550 nothing there they changed the gate number to 210 and let noone know I had to ask someone working at another gate asked one chap he said it was nothing to do with him asked him if he could look it up and see as he had more information than me and he hummed and hawed only his workmate steped forward and asked my flight number and he was the one who told me we were moved to gate 210 and that it was now boarding thanked him and ran for the gate just making boarding we then sat on the tarmac for 1hour.30minutes before take off what shitshow

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

Are Monday evenings generally a busy period?

I notice on https://www.dublinairport.com/ they are showing estimate security times now.. (Maybe they have been doing that for a while?)

But are they in anyway accurate? I would guess not!

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭FlubberJones

My disaster on Saturday... flying to Cardiff for the Stereophonics gig in the Principality... Flight was at 10.55, which would arrive at 12.20 where we would be picked up and off to the hotel in Newport with plenty of time to relax prior to heading to the concert.

But.... The queue for security was big but ,moved handy enough and through in thirty minutes. The gate was 332 which is a dreary gate to say the least, but we were there and should be good. My concern started when I heard the lady on the desk stated to someone that she was the only person boarding so it may take a bit longer. It did......

Anyway we were on the plane at 11.20 (already 25 mins late for take off) and sat for a while until the captain announced that we had missed our slot due to excessive times loading and the next slot was to be two hours later.... with a take off time at 13:30. So this was getting concerning and they told us we would be taken back to the gate to await until we were closer to take off... Then of course we are informed by the captain that he was unable to get an answer from the team running the buses that ferry people back and forth and we had to wait.... Eventually, taken off the plane at 12:30 and of course, with an estimated take off time of 1330, we should be back boarding soon.... but we did not...

We sat in the terminal with again a single lady running the show and all she could say was "I don't know when you are boarding".... announcement came that we would be boarding with a take off time of 15:00... which was a total disaster for us, we had missed our lift to Newport, we would have to get the bus from Bristol to temple meads and then the train to Newport... following by the eventual train to Cardiff...

At this stage both myself and my partner had simply had enough and declined the fight and keft the airport to return home, my partner in particular was particularly upset and was in no mood to travel...

I can't remember a worse attempted travelling experience in a LONG time...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,658 ✭✭✭Floppybits

Am flying out of Dublin on Saturday afternoon and reading the posts on here it is not filling me with confidence. Is it the domestic flights that are affected more or is it is the same for international flights as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Tippex

I'm heading to the states on Wednesday not looking forward to it the flight leaves at 13:05 and the aircoach will get us to the airport at 9:35 (aircoach really doing a number on people only going every 2 hours from Greystones) looks like I might get a taxi to the Clayton in Leopardstown and get an earlier aircoach to give us enough time (tho we will have fast track via us preclearance so that might help)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

@fullstop So one person made an exaggeration on social media and you believe it??? - On social media people claim Donald Trump won the last election and there was no such thing as coronavirus and the world is flat. The media are out there in Dublin airport wishing and hoping for something to go wrong - I can assure you that the indo and daily mail would be chomping at the bit to even have one person miss a flight if they turned up at the allotted time.

@titan18 50 minutes seems to be near the max at morning peak and many seem to be getting though in 20-30min. But I think issues will continue to be seen at many of the larger airports around Europe. Lisbon is the latest with issues due to security strike action. UK airports seems to be simply a no-go area at this point and not looking to improve. In the US there were 10,000+ cancellations last week and massive delays casued by staff issues and weather issues

If I were planning to book travel I'd be checking what delays there are at the destination too. Shannon to Marseille wold be my favoured stress free option at the present time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭VG31

I took a lot of flights in 2019, Dublin Airport's busiest year on record. Despite that I don't ever remember having to queue for security for more than 30 minutes. At off peak times I could arrive 1 hour before departure without issue. 90 minutes was plenty otherwise if not checking a bag.

The main problem in 2019 was a shortage of stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,482 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

my exeprience was that they time displayed was accurate to within ten minutes, but it only starts the clock when people start queueing for security inside the terminal, so the queues outside don't count.

When I went through, the timer was saying 45 minutes, but it took me around 75 minutes in total and I was not checking in a bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Yup, pre covid longest I was ever in Dublin was about 30 minutes. Obviously it's not Cork, which I much prefer travelling out of, but it's got a lot worse since covid.

I know it's not just then and other airports are in absolute crap too (I've to get out of Heathrow later today so hopefully I do since they're cancelling flights), but that really isn't an excuse. Dublin is how 90% of people get off this island and since it's that and they don't want to share flights around the other airports, it needs to work very well and very efficiently.

It doesn’t matter who’s fault it was. That’s all whataboutery. Fact is that it reflects on the Irish government and the DAA. And the minister needs to step in and fix it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Flew out from Dublin T2 yesterday morning at 5.55 to Bilbao, got to the airport at 3.40 , checked in bag, and through security at 4.25, security opened at 4.00.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

15:30 from T1 yesterday. Bag drop and security took no time, no queues apart from confused people in the way. That departure lounge area on the other hand was absolute carnage, thankfully we only got there an hour before scheduled dep time so didnt have to endure it for too long. The wife said there were piles of used nappies in the baby changing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,400 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Covid did not make any decision to let trained staff go.

• Advertisement

It’s “whataboutery” to understand and acknowledge that a private company is at fault for your delay instead of the DAA/Government?

It’s possible there may be a contractual obligation for the ramp handler to provide an efficient service, but the DAA/Minister are hardly in a position to enforce it if the delay is due to the difficulty/timeframe in the recruitment/training of new staff, considering their own similar difficulties.

As for the reflecting badly, it’s not like the situation in Dublin is unique, perhaps take a look at the Sky News site and it’s coverage of the carnage in Scipbhol and Heathrow yesterday.

Advertisement