Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,474 ✭✭✭HBC08

100%.

We're lucky we have the option, people are complaining and outraged because that is the go to reaction online without having an understanding of the situation.

There is a perception that Dublin airport is in chaos the last while and its all down to DAA,the gubermint etc.The reality is most airports in Europe have the same issues and a lot are much worse.

If/when Dublin ends up with 20% of its flights canceled instead of 12 flights daily like yesterday then people will truly know the meaning of the word chaos at the airport and will be screaming for the army to come in.

Ps,I'm not defending DAA,they made they made the same dumb mistakes same as a lot of airports around the world.

Post edited by HBC08 on

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I originally thought this just a Dublin thing but it now appears that the handling staff with Airlines in general seem to have been replaced over the covid period.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭cuttingtimber22

In other news there is a boots going into T2 - will this actually be a pharmacy or more like the convenience store in T1.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭xxxxxxl

Fire the staff that cost money replace with inepts. Never let a world calamity get in the way of saving money and hoping it will work out later.

I totally agree with you, on the basis of what i read it would take the average security person 15 yeard to earn the salary of CEO Dalton Phillips on €14+ an hour. I expect there ia also a management layer + board of directors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,583 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Didn’t they get a generous voluntary redundancy payment? Were staff “fired”?.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/daa-offers-workers-up-to-two-years-wages-in-redundancy-plan-1.4263030

Considering airports/travel were restricted for nearly two years, it would have been a calamitous decision for both DAA, and it’s employees to keep staff at work during that time. Most staff I suspect could not afford to be furloughed for that length of time on substantially reduced wages, having received a redundancy payment they were then free to take up other employment on a full wage. There was a discussion on this a few weeks ago on The Last Word where a commentator explained that the staff did pretty well out of it, but, the mistake DAA made was that part of the redundancy agreement included that staff could not be re-employed by DAA if they accepted redundancy.

Most prople in the travel industry were on the furlough payment, its clear that DAA decided to downgrade the status of ther general staff to reduced wages and they are left with the mess that we see. I expect the stafff that left did well based on the saving going forward for DAA but if you let your experienced employees go yoju are going to have problems. I expect Aer lingus and Ryanair staff on furlough payment and they seem to be doing ok though some flights cancelled but it is because of people off because of spike in covid numbers.

I expect someone on here will know what the DAA were paid before Covid and compare to what has being said here €14+ an hour on contract. How does DAA expect to get decent staff for those wages. It will not be fixed until wages and conditions adressed as there will be people coming and going until these jobs are paid proper wages and conditions.

The DAA simply need to try to get the employees back and pay new staff proper wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Irelandsnumberone

If you check indeed.ie there is a few job advertisements for Dublin Airport. Amazingly if you click into the job they are still offering hours of 20-30 hours a week.

The army are on standby to help out if needed at the same time the DAA are not even offering more than 30 hours a week to new staff in numerous roles

What a **** disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Some good news, a friend of mine went through security yesterday in 15 mins, T1, he was so surprised he texted me to just say (we're flying out Sunday).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭YellowFeather

Mixed bag in Dublin T1 on Tuesday morning. Luggage drop (Air France) was about 50 minutes and breezed through security in about 10.

Flight was delayed twice then and finally boarded 1 hour 45 mins late only to be told that the luggage from the previous flight hadn’t been offloaded yet, and ours hadn’t been loaded at all, due to lack of ground staff. Not sure why they even had us boarding at that stage tbh.

Finally took off 3 hours and 15 mins late. Made the connecting flight by the skin of my teeth and only because it was a bit delayed as well.

Tough to believe that this is still going on. I’m just glad I’m not flying regularly these days!

Edit to add: my checked in luggage never did make it onto that connecting flight and spent a night living it up in Paris. Got it the next day though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

I always carry an overnight essentials in my carry-on for the past 15 years (basic toiletries, change of clothes, glasses, medications, etc). Just a small soft backpack, as airlines often force you to check in carry-on hard cases. I got caught many years ago arriving in europe on a sunday (all shops closed), my luggage arrived 2 days later. It was such a lesson, never again will I risk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,357 ✭✭✭bladespin

Flying out on Sunday morning to Portugal with Ryanair, with a checked bag, any recommendations on how much time to allow?

Recent reports are encouraging but don't want to get caught out, tia.

Advertisement