Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chaos at Dublin Airport

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I think you're picking me up wrong, you can check in for your flight at the desk, the evening before, then go through security the following day.

it should in theory eliminate a trip to the check in counter as you'll have received your boarding passes. - see below.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

No, I know, the issue isn't check in though, it's to get to the gates - security, you can check in for most flights from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

If you leave the airport then you have wasted the initial trip because you are back to the start again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,135 ✭✭✭StrawbsM

Would they not employ the services of whoever does security for large festivals like oxegen? They closed the drop off road so wouldn’t it be an idea to have rows of barriers and passengers go into the “flights that leave by 7am” row, “flights by 8am” etc?

At least those with the earliest flights would be going through security first and they’d have some idea of what flights might need holding back. It’s not solving the problem with lack of staff but it would be somewhat more organised than yesterday’s lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,482 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Fairly embarrassing an shambolic. The CEO is out to door the another group so he does not give a f*ck. Heard that interview with the media representative, absolute shambles. Pay your workers a decent wage and proper contracts and would not happen.

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭POBox19

From the daa website, the number of 'exciting opportunities' is only 40. How many is that per shift? Not enough. No mention of how you're supposed to get there for a 4 am start or where can you park that won't drain away your hard earned €14.14 minus USC and taxes. The job ad was posted 7 months ago.

"A number of exciting opportunities are now available for Airport Search Unit Officers at Dublin Airport.

The Airport Search Unit (ASU) Officer is part of the security team at Dublin Airport. The primary responsibility of an ASU Officer is to ensure the secure, and efficient movement of passengers through the security process at Dublin Airport in accordance with statutory and regulatory requirements and in a manner that enhances the customers experience. This is a 24/7 shift based roster, primarily based indoors in the airport but some opportunities may become available over time, to work outdoors at the vehicle checkpoints.

Contract on offer is a flexible contract of 30-40 hours (you are guaranteed 30 hours but must be available to work up to 40)

The rate of pay for these roles is €14.14 per hour (this is fully inclusive of any shift pay)

The selection process for these roles will include online assessments, interviews, five year background check, garda vetting and medical. If successful you also will be required to successfully complete a 4 week training programme (35 hours per week), followed by an IAA certification exam."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭ArthurDayne

Does anyone know if Terminal 2 has been as bad? Heading to an important family event in the States in a couple of weeks and a missed flight for that would be disastrous really. The problem is that I understand part of the problem is people are arriving insanely early for flights, but what can you do? It’s all well and good trying to be a voice of reason and not arrive until exactly when DAA are advising, but then unless you can rely on absolutely everyone else taking the same view you could end up screwed.

What is particularly galling about this issue is that DAA is a semi-State company, which means they have an investor with vast resources. It should have been plain to see that there would be an inflexion point in the pandemic period where demand for travel would skyrocket back and staff would be needed quickly. They should have been able to tap into the resources to allow them to keep staff on the roster — instead they took the route of laying them off and then somehow thinking that labour would just flood back to a combination of low-paying work and an employer that had demonstrated how poor the job security is.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,234 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ha, not one of those goons and thugs would get past the first stage of garda vetting.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,646 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

hearing now theres an issue with luggage belts broken down, meaning travellers cant check in bags

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ah don't worry he is off to Greencore.

I wonder did he get a golden parachute like from his last job, the one he was fired from.

I always think it is not a good sign if someone is jumping companies so often, usually points to someone being found out.

I would put a bet on Greencore's share price falling because everywhere this guy goes he leaves a mess behind.

Maybe if they didn't try and shaft the workers they wouldn't be having half the problems they are having at the moment.

Rumour I heard is that a lot of workers happen to be getting sick a lot these days.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,374 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

It would be hard to advise what to do tomorrow, never mind in two weeks' time.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 topofthewind

I was in Lidl today.

There was one till open and a queue started to form. The man on the till alerted the other staff by pressing a button that made a chime noise. A second till was open and staffed within a minute.

The queue immediately halved. Both queues moved swiftly and the second till was able to close again as I was heading out the door.

There were 3 other tills available to open had the need arisen.

Its a very basic management strategy and works every time the queue starts to build in that shop.

Can the DAA really be that incompetent that they can’t solve such a simple problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Mike3549

My friends did this Saturday evening for their Sunday flight to usa. But the system was down, couldn't check in the bags, had to q on sunday. Didnt make it. AL wanted 800 extra for rescheduled flight. Did it for free in the end when pinpointed their faulty system.

I don’t mean for inside the terminal I mean for the outside queue. Dunno why there would be a need for Garda vetting for that?

Looking at the images from yesterday - the first 50 in the outside queue could be for a flight leaving at 10, the next 25 could be for a 9am flight and the next 50 behind those might be earlier than all those in front.

Have the outside set up into lanes. Festival experienced staff check ticket and direct them into their correct time slot lane. The ones with the earliest flight are getting into the terminal first. CCTV would then show how many are queuing for later flights and they could gauge whether it is necessary to alert the airlines of approx delay times.

It’s not the solution but if outside were managed better rather than a free for all, less people may have missed their planes.

i think I read in the travel forum that the fast track area was open for everyone to use. Plus, you’ve gotta join the outside queue before you ever get near fast track 😂

Complete shambles

Honestly, that suggestion isn't without merit, they're blaming people arriving too early for flights, that would definitely be one way to cure that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,928 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

No the suggestion is simple, cost effective and logical.

Absolutely no way it could be implemented as a solution.

The problem is that I understand part of the problem is people are arriving insanely early for flights, but what can you do?

If too many arriving early is a problem, streaming the queues is a solution.

Q1 - < 2 hours to flight

Q2 - 2-3 hours till flight

Q3 - 3-4hours until flight

Q4 -.> 4 hours until flight

Therefore if you arrive 4 hours before a flight, those who arrive after you, but still within the required time don't get stuck behind the early birds.

Early arrivers are only a problem because the system is broken though

There was 50k passengers yesterday. In 2019 the daily average was 90k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I don't know what all the fuss is about. Went to London Thursday before last. Got to airport 2 hours before flight. Breezed through security in about 30 minutes. Had a coffee.

But that's just me me me me me.

Would streaming really work though? They'd still be admitting Q4 people at the same rate as Q1 people. But better than nothing, I suppose.

Q4 people would be waiting outside till the other queues are gone. In my head once Q1 has emptied it opens up again as Q5.

Say you’re the first in Q4 and nobody has moved from Q2, you (and the DAA staff) can see how much time it took that 20 metre line to get into the terminal. Granted you won’t know what happens inside the terminal but you will know when your time comes that it’s only flights in your time slot needing attention and holding flights, etc can be managed accordingly.

Im off now to update my CV and apply for CEO’s job 😂

Well no, q1 people would be getting priority followed by q2. Q4 would be at a standstill until 1,2and 3 were fully cleared.

Thereby people wouldn't intentionally be arriving ridiculously early to stand in a non moving Q.

My understanding is alot of problems were caused by people whose flights were a few hours away ahead in the queue of people whose flights were an hour or two away.

That and not enough staff to process everyone.

The way I see it some of the issues are due to people for the 9am flights arriving at the same time as those on 8am flights for example. Twice the number of people to go through the same restricted resource resulting in some of those on the earlier flights not getting through in time. If those on the 9am cannot join the final queue until 7am, those who arrived on time for the earlier flights are not being blocked by passengers with a less pressing need. One of two things results - a more even distribution of people through the queues with less people missing their flights as throughput is more predictable, or a more even distribution of people through the queues with more people missing their flights as capacity is still too limited. Either way its a win win, more people get through on time, or the airport grinds to a halt - if a far higher number of passengers were getting through too late security would have to stop letting people through as half empty planes would not be emptying the terminal. Then finally something might be done about it. At the moment the same flights are getting out so fees are getting paid. If revenue is threatened, you will be surprised at how quick as solution can be found.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭Peter Flynt

It's closer-to-Boston-than-Berlin Ireland.

14.14 an hour for security is €424.20 for a 30 hour week (which is all the DAA are guaranteeing).

This is just €4.20 greater than a 40 hour minimum wage job (€10.50 x 40).

Initially also the DAA were only guaranteeing a 20 hour week or €282.80 per week (or approx €14,700 per year).

That's how seriously the DAA take your security.

And the Q4 people who've been standing about for 2 hours will be demanding to move to the top of the Q2 line, or any other line that's "open". It's a neat idea, but I don't think it would work in practice. Or at least, not without very heated tempers. I've a flight in a few months, hopefully someone figures something out, other than the current situation.

Edit - just read Raind's post after I posted this. Makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭rogber

I was in the airport last Friday, also through security in 30 minutes, it was fine. Seems just the odd day there's total chaos and as always that gets all the attention.

No it would need to be done by time.

Q1 8 o clock flights

Q2 9 o clock flights

Q3 10 o clock flights

Q4 11 o clock flights

Q1 12 o clock flights etc

• Advertisement

It is a fair comparison given footprint is the same and proves conclusively how much DAA f*cked it up. Imagine a group in charge of a major international airport not being able to predict that the end of the pandemic would result in a resurgence in demand, therefore, you know, it might be helpful to hang on to a few staff. On top of that, they have been helped by a slow return of demand.

I honestly thing they dont really care about a few people missing their flights though. The flights are still leaving so the fees are still coming.

Advertisement