Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would this be an appropriate wedding gift?

• 30-05-2022 1:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30

I want to give €150 in cash as a wedding gift but was also thinking of giving them a nicely framed portrait of the bride's mother who died a year ago and will be dearly missed during the wedding. Obviously it only relates to the bride so I wonder if that is an appropriate present to give?

Comments

Personally, no, I don't think it's appropriate. You could gift the portrait to the bride separately, if you wanted her to have it.

But for their wedding, I would just give the couple the cash by itself as their wedding present.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Savetheplanet

It's to personal I think for a wedding gift, give the money and maybe after a while give the picture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,708 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes I'd give it at a later date, maybe a month after the honeymoon, will be much more appreciated then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,247 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

How have you a portrait of the brides mother?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 wowey

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭pooch90

I'd give it before the wedding and not after. That way, if she wanted to have the picture displayed during the wedding she has that option (speaking as someone who had lost their dad before getting married)

I lost my mother before getting married and I think it's a lovely idea, especially if you are a close relative. The cash is the present for the two of them, and the picture is an extra something for the bride. I don't think it's inappropriate at all.

I would make sure you either give it wrapped up on the day, or give it the day after, as it might be quite emotional on the day of the wedding.

As someone who has been in the bride's position, I think it's a lovely gesture.

Might be a nice idea to invite her to look at it and gauge the reaction and then give it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,321 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

This 100%. giving art as a gift is a bit of a minefield. If the person doesn't like it, they'll feel compelled to put it up on the wall and it'll forever annoy them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

No I’d not gift the portrait for the wedding no matter how close a relative I’d be. Some people love the idea of including deceased family members on the day, others would be far too emotional to even consider it. Give the money and gift the photo to the bride as memorial gift maybe on the anniversary of her mothers death. But definitely seperate the two.

• Advertisement

Also there’s two people getting married and she might like it and want it on the wall but the other half and his family may not , as said above art is a minefield

Advertisement