Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suitable router - Eir fibre woes

Options
  • 30-05-2022 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭

Had 100mbs broadband with Eir for a few years, was fine - never any serious issues. Upgraded to fibre once it became available - which is when things went downhill. The broadband connection started dropping on a daily basis - never at a regular time, but often enough to cause trouble when you're trying to work from home. Needless to say, tech support were pretty useless (reboot router, turn it off every night so it gets a break etc etc)

Logged into the router eventually and was pretty obvious it was a used one - or refurbed - had a heap of devices on the LAN which I don't even own. Was onto tech support again, they said it was an old spec model - so they sent out a new one - a Sagemcom CS50001. This once lasted about 30 minutes before it dropped, and would then drop every 10 minutes thereafter. Again, tech support were telling me to turn it on and off, but without success - fault logged and I was told an engineer would call out. So four weeks on - no call from an engineer, and after about three weeks of stability its gone crap again. Wife is working from home today and is working off her 4G connection on the phone because its so unstable.

So two questions really - has anyone had similar issues with this model of router? Any configuration changes which helped? And has anyone got a recommendation on a suitable replacement router which would work. There are no faults detected on the line, so I'm presuming its the router itself which is the source of the issues - both wired and wireless devices are impacted. A neighbour switched over from the 100mbs plan similar to me a few weeks back on has identical problems.

Cheers

Advertisement