Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Career in Quantity Surveying?

Options
  • 30-05-2022 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi all,

I was looking for some perspective on a potential career in Quantity Surveying from either working or former Quantity Surveyors. Now I realise this is probably a tough time for the average QS with the rapid changing of prices of everything nowadays, but still I am considering it as something to potentially go into.

Basically, what would be the pros and cons of the job in your experienced opinion be. I understand that someone's cons may be others pros, however a personal perspective would be nice if anyone is willing to share it. Be it, pay, working hours, travel, on site/office work, negotiations with stake holders, job safety etc.

Any info would be really appreciated.

Cheers and thank you very much.

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 OhDearyAQuery

Bump

Bump2...maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭farmerval

Quantity surveying is a good career. Your qualification is recognised if you travel, the pay is quite good, there's loads of different roles. Many QS end up as commercial managers or commercial directors in construction firms. Many auctioneers and people working in property come from a QS background.

The huge Elephant in the room is the same as any role in construction, when there's a boom it's great, when there's a bust there's no work. There are quite a lot of QS roles in construction, if you think of something like a school being built, there'll be a QS for the employer, one for the main contractor and probably three or four of the sub contractors will all have a QS each. Other than the main contractor most of the QS will be spread across several different projects at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭NiceFella

I'm not a QS, but having talked to one or two I found that it is a stressful job particularly with negotiations, trying to keep within a price range you set before the project began.

Also depending on the construction industry is booming or busting, jobs will be easier or harder to come by. Etc.

It is certainly not for everyone, and I'd be impressed to hear from anyone with 25 years as a QS as the job can be difficult.

Thanks Farmerval and NiceFella; food for thought for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dazzler101

I have recently left a 7/8 year career working as a QS. If you like crunching numbers, dealing with contractual matters, learning how a building is constructed from initial plans, and working to tight deadlines it can be a rewarding career. Construction is great when the economy is doing well, but things can quickly change and work can dry up. There's ample work out their at the minute for QS's, so getting work will be no hassle. I personally just stopped enjoying it, got sick of construction sites, working long hours and arguing over payments, claimes etc. But it did allow me to travel across the world and get work handy enough, and develop skills that I will always have.

Advertisement