Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with an old watch!

Options
  • 30-05-2022 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all- would love some advice on where to get this old watch repaired preferably in the Dublin or North West areas. I found it in my dad's possessions after he sadly passed away last year. I suspect he probably wore it as a teenager and it has been chucked in a drawer ever since. He certainly was never seen wearing a mechanical watch again! I particularly liked the attempt to get it fixed in 1981 and the irate watch repair note(41 years ago)- "we have no parts to suit this watch- it was opened and damaged".

Would greatly appreciate any info on the model and company too. Suspect it has zero horological provenence or worth but obviously its sentimental value is tremendous. Would love to get it whirring and on a strap once more.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,150 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Amida were another one of those small brands that were everywhere in Switzerland pre the Quartz/Digital crisis that hit them all hard. I've seen them sold co branded with Dugena in Germany. They would have used bought in movements(likely ESA) as all but a few of the Swiss brands did(and still do), so that's a positive. In 1981 especially here in Ireland parts would have been a lot more difficult to find. These days with the internet there is far more information and spares out there. The trick is to find out the type and model of the movement and then ebay will find the spares, if not a whole working watch to break for spares.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Los Cafeteros

Thanks @Wibbs for taking the time to reply and information about Amida. In terms of getting it fixed would a watch repair service source parts for you or would most be unwilling to take on this type of job? Would anyone have a recommendation for a vintage repairs service in particular?

Advertisement