Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self-Build - Bill of Quantities

• 30-05-2022 10:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Ive got a site with planning and hoping to get started in September/October. It's a straightforward build, 180sq.m 3-bed bungalow. I have secured a project manager and will carry out some of the works myself also. Im just wondering about the following:

Is it necessary to get a bill of quantities made up by a quantity surveyor for the entire build? Are they common & how are they used throughout a self-build?

I have very rough costings done by my architect for mortgage purposes but I'll surely need something more detailed?

How much is a BoQ in todays climate?

Also, what are the alternatives to a BoQ?

All help is appreciated here. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭ECO_Mental

One of the best things I ever did was get a full BOQ done for my build. Builders appreciate having a full BOQ and you will find that they will tender for a job with it more often as they themselves would have to employ a QS to get one done anyway to price it. Its then easy to compare quotes, add or subtract items form the build and you will settle final account easier. It will also take out a lot of arguments with your builder as the price of everything is in there.

Best money you will spend even though it might a "Straightforward" build...

6.1kWp south facing, South of Cork City

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭SodiumCooled

As someone in the middle of a self-build I wouldn't agree with the above myself (but its up to each person to decide themselves ultimately what they feel is best). I couldn't see the justification in paying someone to do this up especially in todays climate where prices could change a lot from when they do the BOQ to when you actually purchase materials. We just used the architects rough costing to give us an idea on overall and stage costs - considering the architect has multiple builds at different stages so has a good idea on costs its not that "rough" of an estimate.

We are project managing ourselves so at each stage we ring around for quotes for materials and trades people and go with who we want (be it best price or best price/quality compromise - availability also is a consideration for trades people). So far we are not too far off the architects estimates. We came in under for groundworks and are looking to be a few % over for blocklaying based on current pricing estimates. I am keeping a detailed spreadsheet for everything so I know exactly what has been spent and what is upcoming in the next few weeks based on quotes ahead but not much point quoting too far ahead at the moment as prices change often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

There are online companies that can look at your plans and come up with a BoQ and pricing. I used a UK company a few years ago. I can disregard the pricing now but the quantities of various materials etc is really handy to estimate costs against with current pricing. And it wasn't that expensive to do and was quickly turned around. If you don't engage a QS, it's another tool, along with tracking costs on a spreadsheet that can help you gauge material quantities when you are doing some of the work yourself / pricing with a contractor. You can always send in a spreadsheet to a builders suppliers iwht a trade account to get pricing against a section of the items and compare around.

Advertisement