Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Older Dog

Options
  • 31-05-2022 12:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, just seeking some advice on our family dog. He’s an 11 year old German shepherd and he’s becoming more aggressive in his old age, 99% of the time he’s fine but he recently attacked a visiting relative, I wasn’t present but it seems to have been out of nowhere with no provocation. He would know this relative and was walking around the garden with them and my mother before the incident. Everyone was obviously very shaken and my parents are now considering having him put down in case he attacks someone else which I understand but I’m curious as to what could be the cause, do dogs get senile in their old age? He also appears to have lost control of his bowel movements, there doesn’t seem to be any change in the faeces but he doesn’t stop to do it anymore and he often just does it where he happens to be, which is usually at the front door. My parents have been very busy recently and he is sometimes left alone with me going over to check on and feed him, could he be acting out? I’m not in a position to take him off their hands but would hate to see him put down although I would also hate for him to cause serious harm. Rehoming isn’t an option as we’d be liable if anything happened, is there any way to train him out of his aggressiveness at this late stage?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭penny piper

Are you sure he isn't ill? he probably needs to see a vet.....he could be in pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Any change in behaviour would warrant a vet visit. People often write older dogs off when they get to a certain age when there’s a lot that can be done to improve / maintain their quality of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Vet visit! My 13 year old huskie had a similar issue with the bowel movement where she just couldnt contain it and just went. Turns out she has arthritis and with treatment is now doing just fine. As long as she gets out for a walk early and does her business there are no issues.

Sounds to me like your doggo may be in a bit of pain and acted out.

I'm a cranky fucker when im in pain as well like.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Thanks for the advice guys! Really appreciate it, he is long overdue a vet visit, last time we tried to take him he wouldn't let the vet near him and he managed to get out of the muzzle. I would really love if it was something that could be addressed as I don't want to give up on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

if needs be contact your vet and ask for a light sedative collect it beforehand and give it to him before the visit .. I would suggest along with a physical exam ask for full bloods etc ..

given his age it’s more than likely a health issue .. arthritis, pain, dog dementia..

lots of things can be done to help ageing dogs and help them live a good quality of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭DeconSheridan

Sometimes other people's nervousness can set off a dog, maybe your relatives fear of the dog was in overdrive the dog would sense it, the walking around prob confused the dog as he didnt know what they were doing so instinct kicked in to dominate your relative to get them to stop. German shepards are a great dog but they are on the 'Dangerous Dogs' list for a reason. To prevent this behaviour escalating to something worse, injury or even death the dog should be put in a room or a safe place with water, while visitors are present. Personally I wouldn't put the dog down and work with him instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

We took him to the vet today and he's on pain killers, we'll check in in 10 days and see if he needs to go on inflammatories also. Thanks for the advice everyone, we do put him away now if there are visitors.

It does sound a little like doggy dementia - loss of toilet training and not caring where he goes is one of the symptoms.

I hope your vet can help him and get him sorted out, as 11, while getting on a bit, I'd be hoping he'd have a few more years left to go...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

A vet trip is the first stop when there’s a change in behaviour in an older animal?

Advertisement