Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this an appropriate dress for wedding guest?

Options
  • 31-05-2022 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi everyone,

Just looking for some advice regarding a dress to wear to friend’s wedding.

I had a friend say to me that you shouldn't wear red to a wedding - I had honestly never heard this before.

What do you think? Wedding is end of September.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭jellybear

I actually read that in an article recently, red is a colour you shouldn't wear to a wedding...absolute nonsense, in my opinion! Thinking back, there were at least 3 women wearing red at my wedding and they all looked lovely. Once it's not white, cream or ivory, I don't see the issue 😀

It's definitely considered bad etiquette to wear red to a wedding.

But anything seems to go these days - even white!

(Don't wear white).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

That's not an appropriate dress to wear to anyones wedding, regardless of colour. Pulling the focus from the bride is very uncool.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 CP05

Of course it is, has everyone not been to a wedding in their life before or what, perfectly normal

• Registered Users Posts: 13,749 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Agreed, it's a bit "I'm about to break into an Argentine tango and try and seduce every man in the room".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Looks fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

I've never heard of not wearing red to a wedding. I know I have worn red in the past.

I'd always double check what colour the bridesmaids are wearing (the one time I didn't I was wearing same colour as the bridesmaids which funnily enough was red).

I always feel there's a vibe of "I wanted to be a bridesmaid but wasn't asked" when this happens

Then obviously don't wear white etc.

The dress you've picked out...it depends on how high the slit goes.....for me as I'm small that would cover most of my thigh. However on a taller lady it might look abit Jessica rabbit. So you need to judge yourself.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Yeah, I don’t think the colour is a problem, but I do think the general style isn’t very wedding appropriate. It’s ultra glam and ultra sexy and, paired with being red, could make you look like you’re trying to either upstage the bride or generally be the centre of attention.

I’m 100% envious of anyone who could wear that dress, but I just don’t think it’s appropriate in this context. Maybe, at a push, if the wedding was black tie it would be okay?

Edit: I’ve looked again. I thought it was silk at first but I see it’s not. I think the main issue is the skinny straps and how exposed the chest area is so it could be okay if you paired it with something that covered your shoulders.

Good idea to check what the bridesmaids are wearing.

Red worn as part of an outfit broken up by another colour is fine, just not a solid red dress. Anyway, that's what I was always told (and I love red - it suited me when I was a young wan as I had very dark hair). Always went for more subtle then showy when attending weddings, the rule of thumb is nothing that may draw attention away from the bride.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,395 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Tis a bit minxy and definitely destined to make the wearer a focus of attention.. not sure how cool that is at a wedding.

But shur everyone for themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,618 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

Agree with everyone....and to wear that on someone elses special day, may also read a bit "desperate for male attention." Even if that is the case, best to dress a bit more understated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Sparrow09

Some of the replies here are hilarious!! :)

I really like the dress, but certainly don’t want to come across as wanting to be centre of attention! I have a slim build and not much boobs so not worried about it being super sexy ha!

I’m meeting up with the bride in a few weeks time & will ask her opinion. Have an emerald green dress that is nice and may be a better option and less risky.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,770 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The dress is absolutely fine ,

I got married a month ago & my Wife was excited to see how well all the other females looked on the day , Some looked stunning & that was perfectly fine ,

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭LunaLoo

Kind of think the fact you have to ask makes the answer obvious, Especially if it's a church wedding.

It looks more like a red carpet event dress where you want all eyes on you, definitely not what you should want as a wedding guest

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I have never ever in my life heard don't wear red to a wedding.

So colour is fine imo. I would just never ever wear white, cream, ivory

The dress. You know your style and you know the bride's stlye. yes it is very stylish/stylised/SEXY, it is sexy! But some brides like their girlfriends dressing to kill. I would not want to upset my bride friend. You will know if it will or not

Advertisement