Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts ( T120+ onwards) Summer 2022 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

We went from one extreme to another in Donegal! Very hot this PM, have the windows upstairs open. Compared to last week when the windows were shut all day with the heating on for a while in the evening.

At least we live in a temperate climate area.

It's scary what is going on in the world.

I think I need to learn to properly GIY.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

The hottest day in UK history was 38.7 in 2019. If they break 40 next week just 3 years later that is pretty frightening stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

If only we could beat the 33.3c

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

The seal is broken already. They said there'd be irreversible Climate Change a couple of years ago if nothing was done. Nothing was done.

40c is a regular occurance in Western Europe now and paper straws won't make it any better just harder to open your caprisun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

The general theme is for very warm to hot weather over next weekend and into the early days of the following week, changes in positioning of heat and certain variances form run to run but not that great of a difference either but the trend seems to be gathering pace of producing some notable high temperatures ( currently showing high 20's or even 30C at times ). ECM going on to show a thundery breakdown at the end of the run as it now tracks the area of LP coming up from Biscay to track close to or over Ireland , certainly an interest for Thunderstorms with all that heat about and introducing moisture and instability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

32 IN SOUTHWEST

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

If that verified the Shannon weather station could well break the record, would be touch and go....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

We've had a big discussion on Shannon AP station on this forum regarding it's siting - If Shannon beats 33.3c by a small measurement it should be with alot of scepticism owing to the siting.

Interesting weekend/start to next week ahead eitherways.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Shannon is situated near a lot of tarmac. It's like a bloody car park as Roy Keane would say!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭compsys

The fact that Shannon often records its highest temp of the day around 6pm (or even later) would suggest its location isn't ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

If Shannon does break the all time record this coming weekend, then I will go with what the professionals in met Eireann verify, rather than amateurs on a discussion forum. I am sure the site of the weather station has been assessed as being accurate and a robust reflection of air temperatures for that location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭pauldry

Maybe somewhere like Dooks will get high temperature n we won't need to work about the tar.

Why ever did they end up closing Kilkenny, Birr and Clones stations in the past?

Because of developmental encroachment leading to readings that were likely/potentially to be artificially inflated.

Shannon has had even more developments than say Kilkenny and would warrant closure/relocation.

I suspect that the fact it's an airport lends weight to keep a functioning station running eitherway and probably the lack of funds has meant that relocation hasn't happened - but it should.

It's known that Dublin Airport's station was relocated before the recession - presumably when funds were more plentiful. As with a fair few things that got cut during the recession, I suspect Met Eireann's budget hasn't been fully restored to levels they used to have, hence the situation we are now in regarding Shannon.

Shannon AP weather station highlighted - for the benefit of those who didn't see the topic covered a few years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

There's so much talk about the UK, that we might lose sight of the fact that we will also be hit with exceptional heat.

Ukmo and gfs both showing uppers of 20C which could deliver 31/32C Sunday afternoon. Dependent on cloud cover of course..

Our own highest ever record could also go!!

I'll be digging out a dark basement to hide in for the duration 😆

Limerick and Kilkenny might see the reintroduction of a water break on Sunday!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,976 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The ECM is basically boiling hot by Monday. If the sun comes out record's will be broken. I'd say the minimum Sunday night will be 20C+

Time for Met Eireann to get a heat warning out also!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

A lot of speculation about high temperatures this coming weekend. Realistically, are we likely to see this materialise? I'm not expecting anything decent in Donegal but am interested in how southern and eastern areas fare out.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭US3

It's 7 days away, it'd be ridiculous to put out warnings so far away for any weather event. It could turn out to be a completely average day yet

• Advertisement

They usually wait until 3 or 4 day range don't they? Ophelia had a warning on the Friday for Monday in 2017 I think. I can't remember how many days with the Beast 2018.

Great to have 'exciting' weather to look forward to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭squarecircles

The pig muck wont be too far away from donegal, so its a case of as you were ,after this warm spell the weather will become unsettled more widely across the uk and ireland, so just a continuation of the pig scutter for us throughout the period. Hopefully will get a day or 2 in august before the summer ends,but august is usually a complete disaster.

I remember the July 1989 heatwave. It was 30c in the midlands for a week in mid July. Malin Head recorded 15C. The sea for and being westerly and northerly does you no favours.

Then 10 years ago in 2012 most of the country had a washout. It was low pressure from Biscay etc. Donegal had a very nice summer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Models still looking very warm to hot for next weekend and on the Monday. Last nights 18z had 2 of the hottest outliers getting to 32C here at Dunshaughlin. While Those 2 outliers had 0% of verifying, it is the first time I have ever seen a weather model reach 32C for this area since I began model watching. The GFS today not as over the top as yesterday at least here for Meath, temperatures more mid twenties and none get close to 30C. The GEM does get to 30C with a few outliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

It's also pushing out a la standard winter fare. It was the 15th this time last week, now its the 18th and on I'm sure it will go.

Back to winter tonight in Dublin, windy, dull and cool.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

ECM really on the heat now, showing a steady build up into the weekend , possibly low to mid 20's Fri, up to mid 20's on Sat, high 20's Sun, high 20's or 30C on Monday and could see low to mid 20's on Tuesday with a thundery breakdown, that said the following days getting into the low to mid 20's so staying warm.

GFS similar, difference in where the hottest temps will be but that is not important at this stage just that it is looking more likely of a very warm to hot spell over the weekend and into the following week. Monday the 18th looking like the hottest day but both Sun and Mon look very warm to hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭esposito

Cool. Are you mad? It’s still very warm despite the cloudy conditions.

As for next weekend/Monday 18th it is a bit frustrating that it’s getting pushed out. There could potentially be another reload of heat a week or so after. Summer is all to play for and I for one am relieved it finally started.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The models are definitely starting to show hints that there maybe a 3rd warm spell sometime around end of July but let's see can we make the 2nd warm spell verify to some extent. The biggest problem with the upcoming warm spell will be getting that heat far enough north and west to have a proper impact on Ireland. 6 days to go with that, alot can happen in that time.

Seeing some warm night time temperatures next weekend also, easily mid to high teens, and showing some places not dropping below 20C overnight Sun night/ Mon morning and Mon night / Tues morning and possibly Tues night / Weds morning.

Time to purchase the fans before they are all gone !

• Advertisement

GEM 12z is looking like a rather hot spell in places. Not often we see several days of potential hot weather in Ireland.

Saturday builds the heat, nothing overly warm at this stage but very pleasant temperatures in sunshine.

Sunday turns very warm with temperatures possibly getting to 27C, similar values to what we had today.

Monday dials the heat up another notch and gets us to the low 30s between Kerry and Dublin.

A bit cooler on the Tuesday but still very warm with up to 30C possible in places.

Cooler again on Wednesday but temperatures still on the warm side.

This is still well deep into FI so a few pinches of salt for now. The heat doesn't make it into Scotland on any of these charts so we are depending on the heat and high uppers to make it well into Ireland. We need the whole country covered in at least +15 uppers to get the high twenties going like what is suggested on these charts.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement