Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple News+ - any chance it’s coming to Ireland?

Options
  • 01-06-2022 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭

Apple have stated that they are looking to extend the reach of their News+ offering to beyond the very small amount of countries it’s currently available in.

It’s not easy to come across any rumours for their plans for News+ not where they might be looking to expand it to. Obviously I would love this offering to be available in Ireland.

Does anyone know how likely this is to happen?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You can enable it by changing your phones region, the UK for example. You can even turn on things like visual lookup in Photos by changing to the US.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Not likely any time soon IMO.

The News+ model is not very scalable, which is why it's still only available in such limited markets.

It's probably the one Apple offering I'd happily pay for that we don't have, a pity really.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

You can change your phone or iPad region to UK or US to see the news app but its pointless as it doesn't work very well outside those regions as there are only two Irish news suppliers (independant and the Irish examiner) on the app. You would have to have a US or UK Apple ID and a US or UK bank card to be able to sign up to News+ as it is a subscription service. Ourselves and New Zealand are the only english speaking countries without the news app. I think we will get the news app and news+ eventually as we got homepod and apple pay but who knows. The news+ service was included in the Apple One Premier plan in the countries that have the news app but that plan wasn't available in Ireland until late last year. That could be a sign that Apple is preparing to launch the news app and news+ in more countries. On a side note I use google news app which is the same thing and its available and is fully supported in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,211 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Tried it but can’t get access to the good stuff! Thanks anyway.

Advertisement