Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Green registers

• 01-06-2022 7:02am
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Was horrified to hear an ex-colleague tell me they were going to spend tomorrow evening 'filling in the green register'.

Slavishly marking lines in a hard copy register, when everything is on VSWare (and presumably much more accurate).

Is this some local aberration, or are people all over the country doing this, in which case, why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭jrmb

It sounds like a nightmare. Could they have had a data breach or be afraid of one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

'It certainly didn't happen in my day Joe'.

I can't believe the unions haven't told them where to stick this one - as if there isn't enough to be doing in the run up to exams.

This is in a rather large ETB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Random sample

I don’t even know what the green register is! So no, not happening in my school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

@spurious I think I got a flash of PTSD when I saw this thread title! Lol, I have not seen a green register in years. I'd say if they came near us with one now at this stage, it would be stuck where the sun don't shine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,277 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

From further investigations, it seems there was some case where this particular ETB lost a High Court action and were taken to the cleaners because the dreaded green registers were not available. I don't know the exact details, but ever since then they have this annual farce of filling them up in late May from VSWare.

You couldn't make it up.

*edit

Spookily and as if by magic...my source tells me the powers that be told them today that this is the last year of the green registers.

What a loss to education.

Post edited by spurious on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,808 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

What the bejaysus are green registers?

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

They are registers like your teachers probably had at school if you went in the 70s.

I have seen beige versions used for night classes.

They may be a VEC thing. Columns in sets of 5 for the weeks and you put a lovely little line opposite the students name if they were in.

I recall we used to have to work out each child's age in years and months for 1st November of each year. Madness. Like something out of 'Yes. Minister'.

They would then be put in a press where nobody would ever look at them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭lulublue22

The Rolla in primary - straight line for in circle for absent , days totalled up and marked out of 183 at the end of the year. supposed to be marked every day - god forbid if the cigire walked in and rolla not up to date 🙄- have been phased out now with Aladdin. TG . Though I did get a perverse pleasure when everything worked out 1st time.

Advertisement