Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

Disappointing out there this morning.

Quite chilly compared to other mornings, thankfully not as windy but there is still a cool breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Grey slate skies no wind thankfully though but it appears cool. Haven’t been out yet though but no warmth in the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Friday has potential to be 14c to 28c NW to SE. Prob will be 13c to 24c though. Cloudy n cold today. 14c. Wind actually a bit lighter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Its the direction of most of the wind the is killing me. It's either NE or NW. What is of concern from an agri side is that the SMD is quiet high and any bit of sustained heat will drive that further up. Rivers and streams are low. What way are water level in the vartry reservoir.

Better than the sustained rain as I'm in the boots instead do the wellies, but the jumper and body warmer are a permanent fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭Ardent

Brought the wee fella to soccer training on Saturday morning and we all got drenched to the bone by a typhoon that came out of nowhere. The rain was sideways!

Has to also be one of the coldest Junes on record. We were contemplating putting on the stove last night!

I ain't no weather forecaster but I can tell you this unsettled weather system is not going away any time soon and you can already write off the prospect of a decent summer.

• Advertisement

You have to laugh at Met Eireann, they have the Solar/UV as high today.

It's cold, cloudy and 13 degrees.

Absolute muppets, what would warning be on a sunny day at 24 degrees, extremely high, lock yourself away and dont go out?

Pauldry just reread you post there about Fri, because I nearly had a heart attack at thought of 24 degrees never mind 28!

Do you really think it's a possibility? Maybe Gonzo & Sryanbruen can gave a look at charts aswell.

I don't want to get my hopes up yet again😂

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like a one day wonder for Friday for the south and east (maybe 22/23c for Dublin) before normal service resumes on Saturday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

Jaysus just like the snow in winter it dosen’t last long does it, a glancing blow, blink and you’ll miss it affair. Very hard to get a sustained spell of warm/hot weather in these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I wonder would we all cope better with the weather if most Irish houses weren’t ice boxes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Are a lot of houses really that cold? Our house was built 11 years ago and it's very stuffy this weather. Even with the lack of sun. All windows open the days I'm not working and stays nice and cosy for the evenings/nights. Definitely wouldn't need heating. I would class myself as a cold creature too.

My mother’s is freezing but parts of it are very old. My own, built recently is fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A relatively cool day but at least it's dry and most importantly there is no annoying wind so not feeling too bad. Temperatures should start to improve from tomorrow. Current GFS charts show a reasonably dry outlook over the next 7 to 10 days with nothing properly wet on the horizon.

I'm going to be very kind and put today down as a good day so 8-5 to the good now. The only reasons being its 15c which is average for NW not a gale no mist and bright clouds. Really clutching at straws.

Looks like we are set for NW winds mainly for the rest of June so apart from Friday where there's some chance we might get to July in Sligo without seeing 20c.

Hi Ardent. You mentioned a typhoon. Have you any video footage of this.? I'd love to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

It was warmer back in the middle of march 3 months ago...you would think by now temperatures would have gone up the way and not down...must be the only country in the world where the temperatures go down closer you get to summer...people are still wearing winter jackets and we are only one week away from the longest day of the year and the sun cant get any stronger...it will be over 30 degrees in the uk this week but thats even worse too much they can have it...

Thats exactly how I feel today. I'm giving today a 0 out of 10.

I'm absolutely sick of it. It's actually getting colder not warmer.

Friday better live up to expectations.

It’s very warm and pleasant and calm in the south east tonight at least. One of my mares is sensitive to midge bites and I just put her fly rug back on tonight after she had a break for a week due to the wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

Is it time to start putting out the child of Prague’s in the gardens? This is the worst summer weather in quite some time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While this first half to June has been poor, I think June 2020 was worse. June 2019 was also very poor from what I can remember. In terms of bad summers over the past decade we haven't really had many completely write offs but for me 2020 was one of them and the last one before that was probably 2012.

There is a little bit of hope that the second half of this June could be better than the first half but I wouldn't be expecting miracles. We will need a few more days to see how things start to shape up for the second half of this month, it could go either way, an improvement with some dryer and warmer conditions at times or a continuation of the annoying cool and cloudy conditions with wind and showers.

• Advertisement

Friday may still bit a be up in the air. Looks good on the Arpege, ECM, Icon and UKV, but not looking so great on the GFS with most of the warmth draining away from Ireland by Friday afternoon. This really is a brief glancing blow of the outer edges of the plume and will most likely result in low to mid level warmth rather than anything exceptionally warm or hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

Yeah, it's almost crazy but luckily you have the same perception as I do. When the temperature has been okay there has always been a wind for the last few months which means it has been quite cool. I can't believe there's barely been five days where I didn't need some sort of hoodie or jacket going out. That being said, we are just balancing out the 8 month summer from last year probably.

Still, maybe July will get warmer and less windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Cloudy dry and calm here in Castlebar. not a lot happening. Less windy that of late, thats about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Tonight's ecm is showing 27 degrees in the Dublin area come Friday, gem also looking good for a 27 or 28 somewhere in East or south midlands

If the wind is south,Arklow won't get above 19c as the Irish sea is due south of it

No heating on again tonight,indoor temp is 18.4c

This house was built in 1978

I think it will be a push to get 27 or 28C however the Arpege 12z is going for it. The GFS 18z is an improvement on the 12z and more in line with the other models and brings temperatures of up to 25C or possibly 26C back in the picture for eastern and southern areas, and the warm a bit more westwards to include the midlands and north Leinster. GFS temperature charts generally downplay temperatures by 1 to 3C during the summer.

This forcast could still change alot over the next few days. I am hoping we can another upgrade rather down downgrade across all models tomorrow to include more of Ireland and higher temperatures but that is unlikely I think.

We're unlikely to see a thundery breakdown despite the sharp temperature gradient over a relatively small distance. Looks mostly dry over the following 7 days.

Generally not much wind until Friday. Friday will be windier everywhere and could be properly windy in the north-west. Even across the much warmer south and east there will be a decent breeze which could give a hairdryer feeling.

Saturday and Sunday will be much cooler, similar temperatures to what we had today.

Monday and Tuesday could see a warm up yet again to high teens and low twenties as the ridge from the mid Atlantic will extend it's influence over us for a few days leading to a few days of nice summery conditions. This could push the jetsteam back up north of Scotland allowing all of Ireland including the north-west to enjoy some nice weather and respectable temperatures fingers crossed.

We haven't had a proper nationwide warm and sunny day yet this summer, there is a chance we may get this next week if the GFS continue to verify. The past few GFS runs have been warm outliers for next week so remain cautious but hopeful.

Hello gonzo,where will I find these arpege temperature charts ?I can never find them, have you a link please, thanks

These charts can be found on Meteociel

https://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/arpege.php?ech=3&mode=1&map=330

Click UK/Ireland to focus in on Ireland.

As for the Arpege temperature for Friday this is what it was showing today. I feel these temperatures may still be slightly overcooked.

Thank you for the link ,let's hope these temperatures are not overcooked,ecm / gem showing the same temperature profile for Fri afternoon along with 1 or 2 of the other less known models, fingers crossed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Very nice morning with the sun breaking through and no breeze

Advertisement