Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭hesker

As usual as soon as I’ve asked I’ve figured it out myself. Typical

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Rain has arrived in Sligo and 14c

Next week Eastern Scottish Highlands will see SNOW.

No heatwave up North.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

where did you see that pauldry? Have looked and dont see snow, Im heading there next week!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭appledrop

That's a shame pauldry, it's 19 degrees here in NCD and in sunshine easily feels in mid 20's.

Hopefully it improves for Fri.

There's a potential Northerly alongside Eastern Britain next week so turning very cool will probably be only 10c in parts of Scotland so higher ground much lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Some more damn lies, lies and statistics 😏 national weekly average wind speeds since 1 January 2018. Unsurprisingly, the windiest week of 2022 to date was in February when we got named storms. The windiest week of the series occurred in February 2020, again not surprising at all.

Although not an unusually windy May - May 2020 had a windier week nationally speaking than any point in 2022 (the spike in 2020 sticks out like a sore thumb in an otherwise calm month, similar to June 2018), Wednesday 8th to Sunday 12th just gone was notably windy. Probably the windiest June period since at least 2017, maybe since 2012. Note the fairly prolonged wind drought period during Summer 2021, most notably mid-July during the heatwave and again late August to mid-September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After Sunday is FI in terms of model dissagreement. All options are on the table for what happens next week. The only thing that's certain now is the weather will be half decent up to Friday, the heat spike is mostly restricted to England and parts of Wales with a brief brush of low 20s near eastern and southern coasts of Ireland followed by a cool weekend everywhere.

If you want proper summer weather next week then let's hope the GFS is wrong and that the ECM/GEM are right.

GEM is showing low to mid 20s across the country during the second half of next week with high twenties across the south. ECM keeps it mostly settled too with a ridge of high pressure but temperatures more average, high teens to low twenties possible. GFS shows next week as mostly below average and blustery winds temperatures generally mid teens with low teens in the north and some high teens at times in the south and the possibilities of a cold plunge moving south from artic regions.

Both the GEM and GFS are probably way off the mark. I think next week will be a mixed bag, temperatures will recover somewhat after the very cool weekend to come and tempertures should be close to average next week. The great uncertainty is will we see a build of high pressure next week or will we gradually turn more unsettled.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Bit cloudy but pockets of sunshine also, feeling warm at about 18/19C

Short sleeves and pleasant at Bromore cliffs Ballybunion today.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,653 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I presume there isn't much rain forecast for the south and east in those charts for the next 10 days

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,905 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very little rain over the next week to 10 days. Some places could escape bone dry. Apart from coastal parts of Mayo, Sligo and Donegal the country looks like it will only see trace amounts of rain, probably in the form of light drizzely showers. The rainfall totals over Wicklow, Carlow and Kilkenny probably won't happen. All depends on how far north the thundery showers get Friday and Saturday.

This afternoon has improved with sunshine finally breaking out and temperature currently 22C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It has been very dry in my area of the south east. The land could do with a lot of rain as there are signs of grass coming under distress on the brows of hills. Overall it has been a very dry period, the last while, just small interruptions.

Yes if those charts verify I could see a 2018 type drought in some parts of the country

GFS 12z removes the risk of rainfall from the south-east. Little to no rain over the coming 7 to 10 days away from the west coast and north, however there is a chance next week could turn more unsettled if we get unlucky.

Scotland has really been getting a raw deal over the past 6 weeks, I know our weather hasn't been great either recently but things have been much wetter and cooler generally there and this looks like continuing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Going there for a few days the week after next, to the west coast, it’s mad how much rain they get even compared to us. Spectacular country whatever the weather tho.

It's rained here in the NW pretty regularly in June but our 26mm is still less than what Casement has so far. They had a couple of really heavy showers wev had days of 2mm of rain each and 1 of 6mm and 1 of 8mm.

Today is a bad day weatherwise so the June score for Sligo is 9-6.

Still hopeful the figure on the left will improve a lot in the next 15 days. Like weather as average as now would give 18-12 to the good days so that at least must be achievable.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got over 22c in South Laois this afternoon. Prolonged sunny spells. A pet day as they say.

We had a 90 minute window of lovely sun early in the afternoon after a cloudy morning. After 4.30 it clouded up again and had a few spots of rain with it and not enough to wet the ground. Brightening up now again and still feeling very warm. Reached 22C earlier during the sun, back down to 19C now but still feels low 20s.

Touched over 22c today and is still 20c this evening. Has been a very pleasant week so far. Thank god the summer isn't a complete write off like some were predicting

The models were looking quite bleak about a week ago but this week turned out quite well but still nowhere as nice as last June which was 19 to 22C almost continuously throughout the month. The rest of June is still very uncertain, it could go either way, cool and slightly unsettled or relatively warm and settled at times. We will probably end up with a mixture of both.

As for the next 2 days it's looking warm away from the north-west. Tomorrow 19 to 23C in many places but much cooler towards the north-west.

Friday is seeing possibly a little boost again for some south-eastern areas. 19 to 23C during the early part of the day before the cooler air to the north-west slides south-eastwards during the afternoon. Temperatures of 24 to 27C still possible around Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford/Wicklow.

The weekend will be cooler everywhere but perhaps not as cool as the charts where showing up to yesterday.

Mid to high teens on Saturday, not great but not the nationwide 12 to 14C I was seeing yesterday.

Sunday could feel warm again with temperatures 18 to 20C especially in any sunshine away from the north-west. Again this is certainly better than the charts were showing up to yesterday.

What happens from Monday is anyones guess. Right now the models are split between next week turning quite warm and settled while other models are showing it turning more unsettled and fairly cool. Maybe by Saturday we should have a much better idea what next week has in store.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Parts of southern England drop from 29c on Saturday to just 9c on Sunday! :o

• Advertisement

I think I had a better tan in December…Overcast today in Donegal, rained for a couple of hours this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

A pet day or two on the way. The summer is a write off.

We're only 1/6th of the way into summer. Next week certainly has some potential for warm weather and will probably end up mostly dry, if we get lucky could be better than this week. If the next 6 weeks end up being poor then maybe we could say that then if August ends up being it's usual self. I think the next 6 weeks will be mixed but potential is there for some really nice weather too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

This summer has the makings of a write off. See it before, look let’s hope and pray if you want. I’m hoping I’ll win the euro millions the weekend also but I know that won’t happen.

The longest day of the year next week and down hill from there. Brown Thomas will have the Christmas shop up before we know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,411 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

June seems very dry to me. Great walking/hiking/cycling/gardening weather. Bit cold for swimming but the water is lovely.

Don't wait for summer to come - embrace the light now.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

In the NW it was dark at 8pm today and yesterday due to black clouds. Embrace the dull here. Them temperatures of 12 to 14c are wrong for NW. I will be positive and say we will hit 19 or 20c tomorrow or Friday but later Friday and Saturday will be 12 to 14c

Cludeo you can only embrace the light when it's there and it's no use if your blown out of it.

Absolutely beautiful day here in NCD and even at 11.30pm the sky still wasn't fully dark.

However this is only really the 2nd or 3rd evening we have been able to sit outside comfortably, that includes May.

That's very poor, other years the garden furniture would be a permanent feature at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Non stop rain since yesterday midday on the West coast, fairly heavy at present and windy. We always expect a few inclement spells here but it's been non stop wind and rain since the first week of May, with just a handful of pleasant days, very notable how long this spell has dragged on for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭OldRio

Thick blanket of grey steel above us. Rain or drizzle again. Dissapointing.

We bought new garden furniture in the Spring. It has never felt a bottom upon it.

The weather can only get better. Can't it?

• Advertisement

It's going to be another scorcher here in Dublin if sun appears again.

It's cloudy at moment but already 18 degrees at 9am, you can really feel the warmth in the air.

Advertisement