Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 280 ✭✭ShayNanigan

I'm probably using all the wrong weather services & apps trying to get an accurate forecast. Met Eireann promised (ha!) highs of +22 and sunshine for today in my area, then got gradually more somber as the day progressed yesterday. It's now around +18, some showers, cloudy. One weather app using AccuWeather and Weather Radar was slightly less optimistic but Weawow (I keep switching between the providers on that one, from AerisWeather to Dark Sky and MET Norway most of the time) was also forecasting a warm day above +20 with some sun. None of these forecasted rain. I laughed at my spouse yesterday claiming Apple Weather promised rain and somewhere around +17 but guess who was right...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Since Wednesday morning this hot plume has been downgrading with each and every run and even now I think the heat over England is not quite as hot as what was predicted up to last night. Wales is quickly losing the heat now, with temperatures there more similar to southeast Leinster. London and a few other south-eastern places are 32C, many were expecting 35C but I don't think that will be reached.

The low level warmth over Leinster is taking abit longer to shift than I thought despite the fact that there is no sun anywhere and it's wet in places. It is also a bit wetter than I expected too. No doubt we will all feel much fresher tomorrow but Sunday and Monday should feel fairly warm again especially in sunshine. The 'chilly' weekend definitely went through it's downgrades as well with Sunday now looking reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,473 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Uff 41C in Madrid at 16:00, 40C in Nimes in the south of France, no thanks! Lots of 32C's in the SE of the UK.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A fairly heavy burst of rain now at Dunshaughlin with the northern arm of the rain front. I reckon this is the boundary between the humid air and much fresher conditions, temperature should drop by a few degrees very soon.

Driving around North wexford here and the car thermometer is reading a solid 24c

Very balmy still

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭glightning

Your assessment is spot on! And I was thinking similar from early this morning when I saw Heathrow only around 23c at 10am or so. Would needed to have been around 27 / 28c to be getting a 35c max.

16C now at Dunshaughlin, a drop of almost 4C within the past hour once we had that short lived heavy pulse of rain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,044 ✭✭✭appledrop

Miserable auld evening here now in NCD.

Drizzly rain on and off since about 1pm, we were lucky got out to park for a while after school in-between the showers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

No rain over us whatsoever and when I seen an echo line pop up over Clare around 3.15pm I thought it was gonna pep up over us down the line, but it didn't. Temperatures today were suppressed by the cloud and struggled to reach 20c. Currently 15.4c and while it's overcast, there are some breaks about.

Winds have backed NWly too and temperatures have been steadily falling since 5pm but notably so since 7pm as the dewpoint fell too:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Reached 17.7C but felt much warmer here in Tralee this morning, could cut the air it was so muggy with low hanging stratus which eventually produced light rain, mist and drizzle from mid morning for a few hours on and of, dried up in the afternoon and clear patches of blue this evening with nice bright sunshine again . A fresher 12.6C now.

Post edited by Meteorite58 on

Stunning pic meteorite

Still clammy here in rural Arklow at 16.3c at 1115pm

The dyson hot and cool has its cooling fan on in the master bedroom tonight for the first time since I got it and it's brilliant

Highly recommended for anyone with hay fever or sinus issues and whilst it's a room temp of 21,it's creating a lovely breeze

Here endeth the ad 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭acequion

Interesting to hear how the continental heat wave is affecting Ireland. I'm in southern Spain at the moment, near Alicante and while I love heat I'm finding it quite oppressive so early in the summer. Mid 30's here today and felt more and set to be similar temps for the next few days. I guess we're never happy and I'd be complaining big time about cloudy skies if at home, but I like to go more gently into my summer and at this rate I'll actually be happy to breathe some fresh Irish air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Tullamore of an evening, looks like Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum smacked those b*tch aliens...

Post edited by An Ri rua on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Nice animation of hourly temperatures over the past 8 days. It illustrates our relative geographical isolation when it comes to continental heat. At this time of the year, solar irradiation plays the major part in land air temperatures.

Sunny morning in Arklow

10c colder than yesterday's peak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

Finding the last few weeks weather a bit demoralising. Temps struggling to rise above 20C, windy and no shortage of rain. But for me it's the constant cloud cover that is so frustrating. Blue skies and sunshine so important for a sense of well being.

Some settled weather would be nice. It is supposed to be summer. Rant over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,442 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Started off a lovely warm morning in North Dublin. So much so I was fooled into shorts and a t-shirt for the lads' GAA this morning.

Feels like October now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Beautiful start to the day sunny and warm but of course the cloud rolled in quickly and it’s now 15 degrees and cloudy. So frustrating as alluded to above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cool wind this morning. Fed up. I can't change the weather but I can change my location. 'Google search Ryanair destinations from Knock'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Jesus the temps are shite for late June

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭alentejo

Only in Ireland it gets colder in the afternoon!

French meteo forecasting 43c today. Yesterday, Friday, the highest temperatures in the country exceeded 42°C! We can mention Durban-Corbières, in the Aude, where the thermometer displayed 42.3°C

The past 3 to 4 days were half decent and gave a sense of summer as it was warm but the amount of sunshine was definitely dissapointting. If we had bags of sunshine over the past 4 days temperatures would have been widespread low to mid twenties very easily and high twenties on Thursday. The cloud cover plays a huge part in limiting our temperature potential during the daytime at this time of the year.

Today is chilly but it was originally forecast to be colder than what it is right now and is nowhere nearly as grim and baltic as the June bank holiday weekend we had recently. Temperataures will stage a recovery from tomorrow.

Monday to Thursday should be half decent again with temperatures generally 18 to 21C but up to 23 or possibly 24C on Thursday. There should be sunny breaks too and it will feel warm in any sunshine. After Thursday we may go into another cool spell. This is a mixed June, some nice days and some not so nice days.

June so far certaintly could be better but it's not a write off. A write off is day after day of rain, wind and chilly temperatures from the Atlantic conveyer belt, the sort of pattern that dominates August most summers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭pauldry

We had that weird sky yesterday too.

Just back from playing golf next door to Casement and was surprised to see only 13 C when I checked there at 1 pm. I certainly didn''t feel that cold walking around. Cloudy, yes, but there was some milky sun trying to get through at times. At least for golf it was perfect weather. Golf buggies were throwing up massive clouds of dust driving down the cart paths, so the weather this June really could have been a hell of a lot worse, at least here in the east.

What a difference a day makes. Today's temperatures versus the same time yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,130 ✭✭✭OldRio

Same temperature at this location and its not raining today like it did yesterday. Massive difference between East and West.

Advertisement