Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,656 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Met Eireann = Astrology levels of bullshìt

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Beautiful clear evening in Kerry after a mostly cloudy day , high of 16.3C, mild evening dropping away now to 12.7C

Pic: 22.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Some sparks in the southeast the last hour or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Was fairly loud at times with some nice cgs lighting up the night sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays weather reflected in the latest metars: Donegal airport clear and calm

EIDL 040700Z VRB03KT CAVOK 13/08 Q1026 CAVOK 13/07 Q1026

Cloudier further east and that wind will knock the edge off the temperatures,Dublin :

EIDW 040700Z 07014KT 9999 FEW012 BKN014 12/08 Q1024 BECMG SCT014

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Bright but cool and very breezy.

North Dublin could power the country in wind energy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Temperatures climbing out west,Belmullet 16 degrees at 9am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,328 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

1/2 blue sky

1/2 grey sky

Cold

Not much wind

North Wicklow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭adocholiday

These are the late spring/early summers that make me want to live abroad. When we get a good April and May the summer feels long but when May and June are washout it feels like you're waiting for summer to start and then suddenly it's Autumn again. It's very annoying seeing rain on the charts for most of the bank holiday weekend, and seemingly up to the end of the model runs, especially with the amount of outdoor work I need to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Poor morning in Cork, overcast and breezy. Rain on the way. Happy Bank Holiday everyone! 🥲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

You are spot on, feels like gale force winds yet again here in North County Dublin.

They could at least harness the wind + give us free electricity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Dull grey start to the day and looks like it'll be raining for much of the afternoon. East Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I've been on this forum for over 15 years now but I've never witnessed the level of pessimism and cynicism that's become very widespread here in the past year or two. I'm wondering if the pandemic has had some sort of psychological effect on people, even as far as changing their perception of weather.

There are still a couple of posters who seem to be unaffected, but the majority now seem to see the absolute worst in the weather every day and have zero hope of anything nice weatherwise for the rest of the summer that's only just begun.

Relax, people. Take a moment to reflect. The weather's not been as bad as you think. Look up stats for your area and you'll see that it's business as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

Couldn't agree more with the above comment. As for reading into charts two weeks from now...the weather experts find it hard to read some charts a few days out. Even look at today...met eireann had north lenister clear by now and I can confirm it is still very cloudy.

No one should get down hearted about any long range charts, IMO it's way way too quick to write off June. Things change so quickly.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

A cool and windy morning here in Meath, but at least it's dry.

It has been a good year so far absolutely, but patterns seem to be locking in for a while lately. We’ve benefited from that in recent months but now we’re probably going to see the other side of it where we get stuck in an Atlantic driven pattern for a while. Who knows what July will bring but we’ll probably end up with an unsettled June at least. Mother Nature always balances the books 🙂 and we’re due some rain.

Lovely day in Arklow despite the breeze

We can see the bank of cloud looking south in this photo

Hopefully another light show tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Nice and dry hear near Trim but the east wind would cut ye! Good drying weather though 😁

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I would agree but those of us who love cold in the winter and warm in the summer it hasn't been great. The Atlantic and the PV completely stole our winter yet again. The Atlantic went on holidays for most of Spring which was nice but now that the summer has arrived it looks as if the Atlantic is back big time. How long this last's for is a bit of an unknown. Here is hoping we see a serious improvement in the weather/ a flip to summer around the middle of June.

If this summer ends up being a 2007 then the coming Winter better make up for it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Dungarvan absolutely Baltic and gusty. Real feel below 10 degrees and raining. Horrible.

• Advertisement

Chilly and cloudy in Meath too, 13C but feels colder and that wind would cut you in two. A day to stay inside. Tomorrow and Monday will be even colder than today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As well as all the pessimism and cynicism, I am not getting the whole we are due a poor summer thing. Summer 2020 was bloody awful and every bar as bad as 2012 in my books for my area, July especially was horrendous. Summer 2019 was better than I gave it credit for at the time. Summer 2021 wasn't a patch on 2018 and personally it is very overrated. If July didn't have that heatwave, it would have been an awful month and as cloudy as July 2020 (in fact we were running cloudier than 2020 as of the 13th). July 2021 is probably the most polarising month I have experienced and very difficult to rate. August up to final week was awful as usual too. June apart from how dry it was, was nothing special.

The past week has been much better here than I expected. Sunday was fine, Monday was poor admittedly, Tuesday started fine and ended awful but downpours were fun, Wednesday was stunning, Thursday similar to Tuesday, Friday the opposite of Thursday and today has been sunny spells here. A bit on the cool side with that brisk northeasterly breeze but meh it's still only early June.

All signals I have seen point towards a mixed summer with another poor August in store courtesy of La Niña. I don't expect great things out of this summer but least at this time of year fine days will come every now and then even in the worst of summers which can't say the same for winter. Ideally would like to see a northward adjustment to the jet stream to try and get a push from the Azores high which isn't likely any time soon based on the NAO forecast which is currently in a negative phase since the final week of May. I've been avoiding looking at the models as they're too grim at the moment or were changing too much to draw anything from.

Remember saying I wouldn't be surprised if March turned out to be the sunniest month of the year, that's still a possibility as neither April or May was as sunny almost anywhere.

That’s fair enough Syran but 11 degrees in the middle of the afternoon is pretty poor even by our low standards 😢

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Ye when I speak for the temp, I'm only referring to my area of Dublin which I am pretty exposed to northeasterly winds. 11C is awful. It's currently around 14C here with sunny spells still whilst breezy but can see all the cloud that others may have further inland and to my south.

Edit: It's clouding over more significantly here now too as I speak.

Edit 2: Now the sun has disappeared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

For fellow haters of excessive wind, particularly Northerlies and Easterlies, this is am enjoyable read:-

https://lithub.com/a-brief-eerie-history-of-how-the-wind-makes-us-crazy/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Absolutely dire day in Cork. Raining, grey and cold. Total shocker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Stunning day here in Enniscrone, sunny north-west for a change.

Reached 15.4c here in Arklow

Pleasant enough out of the wind

Bits of blue left and one light rain shower

The 15.4c was impressive enough considering the breeze in off the sea

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Notions11

Hi all. Is Dublin going to be a washout tomorrow evening? Going to Noel Gallagher in St Anne's park, clontarf road. And the forecast looks horrendous!! I have the wellies and poncho at the ready. God .. such utter misery for June :-(

• Advertisement

Looks wet a lot of the day but might dry out at times in the evening

You might be lucky

Advertisement