Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Very cloudy in Dublin today but warm ,I see other counties elsewhere doing very well with sunshine atm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Looking at the satellite I would not be overly optimistic of too much rain in the East. The West will get a fair bit each day but nothing severe. The wind will be an issue Saturday and Sunday but nothing we haven't seen before.

See its even possible for rain to be downgraded in Ireland. We get extremes of nothing just annoying amounts of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Well where in need of it here, showers since Sunday have missed here, Ballinamore has more rain than carrick anyway i think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,138 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Looks like Scandinavia, including the far north, is in for a fine summer with HP setting up in the right place for them, bad news for us and I’m now writing off this summer (not that anyone cares what I think I’m well aware)

22.4c at my station in Arklow at the moment in a very warm south-westerly breeze

Beautiful day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next 2 weeks looks poor enough but it's unlikely to stay like that all the way to September. The upcoming cool and unsettled spell isn't just going to affect Ireland, it's also going to take over the UK and a large part of France and may get into Germany by the end of next week. Northern Spain and nothern half of Portugal is already close to a week of unseasonably cold and unsettled conditions with temperatures there more like what they get in January or February and this looks like continuing for them for another week.

Scandinavia has had a very poor and cool May and June so far so they probably deserve some of the warmth coming their way.

I think things will improve during July so hopefully the Azores makes a decent attempt at ridging in over us, however in order for that to happen we need to get this washing machine style low pressure setup away from Ireland and the UK.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,904 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very similar here too, 22c currently, 4th day in a row to reach 20C or more, 3rd day this week to reach 22C. Overall this has probably been the warmest week of the summer so far but that's about to change big time from tomorrow.

I see Acca looking East now towards Wales

A sign of instability

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Clouds are so nice 😍 lovely sunset

I see yours and raise you these ,looking east over the Irish sea from Arklow 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Very defined lines of cloud on sat images that seems to be building.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭sporina

not all summer months but we had a fab April/May/June 2020 here in cork - have the pics to prove it as all I did when not at work was walk (to release the covid stress)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sligo pathway of blue

• Registered Users Posts: 24,399 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Today was a stunner

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

April and May are meteorological spring, not summer. I had this argument many a time back then. Spring 2020 was legendary. Summer 2020 was extraordinarily bad. I too have lots of pics from many of the fine days of Spring 2020.

I am well aware the south of the country had the least bad conditions relative to average (Cork was the sunniest station in Summer 2020) but even here it was very wet and cloudier than average.

I'll never forget summer 2020 it was truly awful. It was the last time cutting the grass every week was an absolute pain with the tractor lawnmower leaving huge dirty mud tracks all over the garden, the garden was saturated throughout the summer. Any days it wasn't raining it was just cloudy, very little sun that summer and temperatures were mid teens much of the time.

Looks like today's max temperature was 23.8C at Oak Park.

The 23.9C from earlier will probably be the max temperature for the month of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,614 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

If so, I believe that'll be the lowest national max for June since 2012 for synoptic stations when the max was 23.8C at Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

Wow that will be a low max then for May and June Sryanbruen.

This morning is actually looking grand so far, a lot brighter than I expected and not too breezy.

I know it will change by the afternoon when our best friend the wind arrives once again with the rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,975 ✭✭✭appledrop

This week has been lovely a proper Irish summer week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,419 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Lovely morning in south Dublin, went for an early morning run in clear skies. Bit more cloud now but still fair conditions and a light breeze, pretty much perfect.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I really enjoyed the dry settled weather over the past few weeks and while some rain is welcome, I hope we get high pressure back soon.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Wet wet wet this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,132 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lashing down in cork city today. Looks the same tomorrow but seems to dry up Sunday and Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Sunny but breezy in Arklow

17.2c atm

We really need the rain

Bring it !

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭cheezums

Good splash of rain in Cork. Badly needed!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Great to see a drop of rain in Kilkenny and the south east- it’s really badly needed for crops and grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

Just back from Italy Naples where the weather was really great not too hot at about 28 on average and where we were on the coast there were lovely sea breezes most days.

I noted that when northern and southern Italy were extremely hot last week that the area around the gulf of Naples was quite a bit cooler due to the sea breeze I think! Made what could have been a miserable 38c into much more manageable 28c.

Had 2 fantastic thunderstorms while there, one while we were ON the ferry back from Capri (genuinely terrifying) and another while sitting out for dinner. Fortunately we were covered for the latter 😃 but rolling around the gulf of Naples in the middle of a thunderstorm I do not recommend!!! Fantastic holiday though.

• Advertisement

After a very warm night this morning was lovely and sunny but it's gone fully cloudy now with a breeze with spits of drizzle. Normal service has resumed.

Advertisement