Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still 23C and sunny here in Dunshaughlin. Definitely the warmest day of the year here. We had 23C a few weeks ago but that was only for about half an hour. Easily the warmest evening of the year.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be cooler across the country as the uppers won't be as warm as today, high teens to low 20s and then Sunday the temperatures go to the mid twenties. Monday could be the warmest day of the year before a cooldown from Tuesday. Mondays high could be challenged again either next Friday or Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Glorious evening warm and sunny hallelujah

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

If you think peoples mood is not affected by the weather you are very very wrong.

Stunning afternoon and evening in Leitrim today. Sure there was cloud at times but the heat in the sun has put a smile on people's faces.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Beautiful day Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Thats where my old 'Costa Del Bray' and 'Playa Del Arklow' meme comes from. Thanks to the micro-climate we get even compared to Dublin which is less shielded from the prevailing SW, W & NW'erlies by the Wicklow/Dublin mountains than Bray and anywhere south of us is. Obviously it depends on the particular atmospheric conditions which I don't claim to understand but its rare that the conditions and mountains are generating precipitation in the lee of the mountains over Bray. (where the mountains are a curse rather than a blessing).Happens on occasion but not often. More often is the mountains will split the cloud, dissipate it or take the bulk of the precipitation out of it before it gets over us. Plenty of times over the last few weeks the radar showed a lot of precipitation about to hit us or right over us....yet on the ground here, nothing or very little was falling out of the sky despite what the radar indicated. We also get the benefit of an extra couple of degrees from the Fohn effect being in the lee of the Wicklow mountains. I'll be gutted if I ever have to move out of this town. Its like its in the goldilocks zone on the east coast. Right beside the capital, great transport links to the City and Airport, the seaside and Bray head on our doorstep, the Wicklow Mountains and all its amenities literally just down the road, its own micro-climate. The only problem is that we are also in the goldilocks zone if you don't like lots of Snow as we are perfectly positioned to be in the Mournes, Isle of Mann and Angelsey Snow Shadow in a NNE, NE or Easterly!! LOL (Actually I suppose you could turn that one around and say that given that the Wicklow Mountains themselves probably get more snow and more often than most other places in the country, if one is prepared to buy some Winter tyres and have a 4WD, living right next to the Wicklow Mountains in Bray presents MORE opportunity to get ones snow fix yearly than most other places in the country)

• Advertisement

Sounds great, enjoy it. But that's not really the point I was making. Now I should take my leave, as promised.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Gorgeous evening in Dublin, absolute stunner. Beer drinking weather! Enjoy folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Just dropped below 20c at my station in Cobh, at 915pm. Thats rare.

Max of 25.3º too, but I'd take about 2c off that due to over-response in the sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

23C reached in many places today across the country, a bit cooler along the western and northern coasts but inland parts of Donegal still got to 22C today.

Today definitely went a bit better than expected with sunshine and inland western/north-western areas doing much better than expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Warmest day of the year so far with Mount Dillon recording 25.1 degrees this afternoon (from met eireann)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What a lovely day. And that sunset was exquisite.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

Jaysus what country are ye all talking about? It was a horrible day in Tralee. Drizzle and low cloud all morning, mist all afternoon and temps no higher than about 17 or 18. Definitely a country of two halves it seems. I'm happy to be heading off to Spain again on Monday for some guaranteed sun and blue skies. You just can't trust it here though hoping I see some bit of sun and warmth over the next three days. I returned from Spain to that biblical deluge on 24th June and I've not seen one decent day since. Happy for the rest of ye though that ye got some long awaited sunshine.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭snowgal

Over in Scotland this week for a break, thought I’d miss the good weather but it hit 26c here along east coast, 26, in Scotland!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Any reason Mount Dillion isn't included in this graph? What's the criteria for being included?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Stubborn cloud with a sea fog out by the coast here near Tralee today with mist and drizzle on and off and more persistent this evening. Only got up to 16.3C here and currently 13.5C.

A reverse of what Danno was referring to in an earlier post above with the cloud and fog bank trapped in the North side of the Slieve Mish and McGillycuddy Reeks today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

So I was actually over estimating the temp when I said 17 or 18. Yep it actually only felt about 16 and it's a miserable evening, rained again since I last posted.

A slight chance that temperatures on Monday night in Dublin may struggle to fall below 20C, could be a few uncomfortable nights from Sunday with temperatures still 22C by midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Still 14c here in Carrick and 18c in wexford and 19c in dublin

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Probably got up around that in Town, very noticeable drop in temperature as I drove out towards the coast under the low cloud and sea fog.

Getting there.

• Advertisement

The above will get well beaten on Monday and possibly again next weekend. We should get a 27C somewhere on Monday and maybe even a 28C. The cool down for Tuesday to Friday is still there but each run is shifting that Greenland low a bit further north to the point where most of the country will spend the next 9 days at 20C or above. I hope the cooling trend for the middle of next week gets further downgraded with the low going north on each run tomorrow and into the weekend. Over the next 9 days I expect somewhere in Ireland to get to 30C providing the heat surge next weekend verifies. It does look cooler overall everywhere from about July 19th with maybe a cooler and more unsettled period, but I have a feeling we may have one more warm to hot spell to come soon after that. An interesting July where the model watching is on fire like it does be during the winter months when were chasing northerlies and easterlies that rarely verify. A fair chance that the weather over the next 15 days could well be the highlight of our summer so make the most of it. August can never ever be relied upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I don't have a known reason but it’s not registered on the Meteociel site. Whilst Meteociel data isn't 100% correct and often has errors/missing data, it is useful as a guide for how a month is looking at a place. Bit of a pain in the arse that stations like Mount Dillon aren't available on the site because I have to add up daily data from the Met site of the current month we are in (previous months can be accessed via the historical database which is a lot less time consuming) which can be tedious to sift through one by one. It is not available on Ogimet synops too.

Meteociel and Ogimet do not have Athenry, Dunsany, Markree, Moore Park, Newport and Phoenix Park either.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭US3

A wet and very dull morning in East Limerick. Was not expecting this

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Quite wet, low cloud and fairly cool on the West coast this morning, currently standing at <2 hours of sun since last Saturday, this has to be some sort of record for July.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Most international sites only show data from stations that are part of the WMO synoptic network. Mount Dillon, Phoenix Park, etc. are Met Éireann's own additional stations that don't report on the international network. It's annoying alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭HBC08

Cold,misty and wet in Castlebar at 7am but mist has stopped,temps well up,cloud has burned off and looking good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Cloudy and overcast first thing this morning but it's brightening up now.

Co. Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Another damp dark cool day in Donegal, a full week since I last caught a glimpse of the sun

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Sunny and warm just west of Cork City, currently 20C.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Bright with some sunny in Sligo. 17c now and nearly 20c in back garden heat trap.

Advertisement