Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Bright and sunny in Galway. I want to finish work now!

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Yikes it's actually gotten colder than this morning on the west coast, heavy low cloud rolling in and temps dropped right back with a stiff breeze to what felt like 12 or 13°, had to put a jacket on, looking at the forecast we might make it another few days with zero sunshine 😬😬

Overcast and drizzling Donegal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sun breaking out nicely in Meath, currently 21C.

edit: completely cloudy again

Post edited by Gonzo on

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭joe199

Disappointing day in North Dublin as far as actual sun shine gos, but roasting non the less

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately this high pressure is just not centered enough over us. Winds are still from the west or north-west around that high and lots of cloud circulating around the high on it's northern flank which we are on. It could remain mostly cloudy until sometime Sunday when the high becomes centered over us. High breaks down again from Tuesday with another disturbance from the north cutting into the high. This upcoming spell of mostly pleasant and warm weather is welcome after several cool and Atlantic driven weeks but this high pressure is just buckling under too much pressure from the Atlantic to deliver a proper spell of summer like July 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Gorgeous day in Cork, blue sky and strong sun. On the met.ie 4pm reports, Cork airport is top of the charts at 23c from Johnston Castle at 22c.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭SaoPaulo41

Warm ,but no sun in D16 is this the best of this " good weather " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Stunner, wall to wall sunshine and only a light breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

Always a bit annoying taking the Cork temp from Cork airport as it is always colder there due to it being up on an exposed hill.

On WU all stations around Cork City showing between 24C and 28C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

Spent the past few days in Bundoran / Ballyshannon area. Misty and breezy all day Monday to Wednesday, cloudy yesterday with maybe 2 hours of the sun breaking through. Warmer today but still overcast with no sunshine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Fabulous sunshine in Galway since early afternoon, feeling very warm too, a breeze there though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Stunning day in cork, drove from the city to west cork and sunny all the way down. Car was reading 27/28 in the city and 24/25 by the coast (so take about 2-3° off the that). Finally some warm dry days!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Not a cloud in the sky cork city glorious sunshine slight breeze

May I add about time it's been miserable here all summer - call out the weather as it is if it's nice or rank.some people take this way to serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

Delighted you are finally getting nice weather at home.

Keep it going for me now when I come home😉

We usually don't go away until August but are reconsidering now as I realise how important it is to get some sun early on especially if Irish summer disappoints.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Cloudy here in Carrick but very warm 23c

Slight breeze is gone cork city just blue sky and total sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Sunny until I got to 1st roundabout in Sligo then misty fog so we went to Dromahair. More sun there and 20c. Got back to Sligo and 20c 19c 18c 17c and 16c at house....in 17km. Also less sun n more wind. Still though if ya live in the NW just go inland if going on day trip. Sea mist won't be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Glorious day in Cork, had to take the drone out this evening and take it in :)

Photo is looking towards Ballycotton Bay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Dark in Sligo since 9. Was a nice day till 7 then mist low cloud and darkness . Last day I saw sunset was June 30th but July is always misty like this in NW. Sun burning through for a few hours middle of day is pretty normal so wel take it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,398 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Dare I say it's actually a little stuffy

Oh well, 30 degrees awaits me tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Valentia's sounding today showed the potential for near 30 C if it had been less cloudy. Cork topped the country's max temperature list as it was the sunniest nearest the south coast, but the northwesterly flow didn't have enough land fetch to warm up to its potential max (taking the 900-850 hPa temperature parallel to the red dry adiabat lines down to the surface (as shown in yellow in the sounding) and adding 1-2 degrees for the time of year.

Further north, where there was much greater land-fetch, heating was limited by cloudiness.

A fairly crap day overall in Meath. Crap in the sense so much potential with warm uppers but temperatures and sunshine did not deliver. It got to 22C in the afternoon under a thick layer of cloud without even a glimse of sunshine untill 7.30pm. A total waste of warm uppers. Tomorrow most likley the same with the Atlantic just destroying any sort of enjoyment from this weak high pressure with thick cloud cover across the country. Maybe Sunday will deliver. Monday looks warmest but I don't believe it because we will once again be covered in a non breaking cloud layer all through Monday and then we back into the Atlantic flow from Tuesday. The warm or heat spike next weekend is pretty much removed now from all models for Ireland so a very average week of mid teens to high teens from Tuesday forward. This warm spell will be finished by Monday night. There is still a slim chance next weekend could deliver for warm temperatures and sunhine but I wouldn't be banking on it.

The Greenland low has just been far too strong this summer all through June and now it is spoiling what was potentially a very good warm and sunny spell. We will still get 1 to 2 very warm days between Sunday and Monday but they are not guaranteed to be sunny. After that the Greenland low is basically back in charge. Game, set and Match to the Atlantic so far this summer.

In summers like these it's the south east of England and London that will do great, next 2 weeks for them is high twenties to low 30s. Ireland and Scotland are really getting shafted this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alot of the WU stations are dubious and unfortunately some of those now transmit onto wow.met.ie too :(

It's really in the mild to warm sunshine conditions we see the effects of these low-cost stations sort of spoil the overall picture of the temperature profile across Ireland.

On the flip side - it's good to have data from lots more locations than Met Eireann's budget will ever reach. These stations are decent enough in cold weather scenarios to give a decent picture of the temperature profile across Ireland on those cold still nights.

But I guess, you've got to take the good with the bad.

Back home here today, it was a fairly humid day with a rather interesting stripe pattern of cloud/clear sky across the region. The temperature graph recorded here fits perfect to what was observed. A maximum of around 22c today, a bit back on yesterdays max.

Tomorrow though should see higher temperatures than yesterday if the cloud layer is less thick allowing the sun to burn it off in the fore-noon period. Looking at the sat returns, there is a SE drift building well out over the Celtic sea while we still have a NW drift over much of Ireland. The convergence line of these two movements will be interesting tomorrow - could be a lot of disappointed people in a stripe across the country - probably Dundalk to Tralee give or take a few dozen miles north or south.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

The 20c isotherm took one look at Cork and said peace out 😜 JFF.

Dud of a spell round my parts so far. I just can't be bothered about 22c or that if it's completely cloudy. Expectations for the next few days on the floor - cloud burn off so far = cloudy all day and nice and clear at 8pm. Monday has some great potential temperature wise. Whoever is getting prolonged sunshine, enjoy it folks 🖖.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,916 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Stunning day in Galway. Perfect football weather

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Admittedly I'm one of these cheap stations on WU! I got to 27.0 today but my station is too near my patio. Still, as someone else pointed out, my nearest station at Cork airport which got to 23.9c is at over 150m asl and on an exposed hill. You can generally add a degree or so to it to get the Cork city temp - so I reckon 25c was our temp today. Stunner any which way....

No matter how wonderfull the charts look we always seem to just get shafted by the Atlantic, this time a Greenland low. Other times it's a north-easterly that sets up during the summer and other times it's a spoiler low that lets the conveyer belt back in. In short we are just that bit too far north and too far west and not close enough to the continent that there is always some westerly or north-westerly influence that will spoil our week in glory with unbroken sunshine and mid to high teens. If Ireland was situated just 150km further south it would make a world of difference to many of our summers. We are on the battleline far too often and find outselves on the cool and cloudy side far too often by so few miles. This July we have got so near to greatness but just out of the range of unbroken sunshine and high temperatures throughout an entire week. The high is just not strong enough or far north enough, we got that luck last year and in 2013 and a very close shave this summer. Rant over. Get out and enjoy the next 3 to 4 days because it will be warm and those who get sun really go and enjoy it. This is a bit of a lame duck mid summer high pressure spell, so near to greatness but it's failed just like the lame duck cold spell of winter 2020/2021, we were so near to greatness but just couldn't pull it off and left with a sort of seasonal but dissapointing experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Valentia Observatory reported sea level pressure of 1037.3 hPa at 2200 on the 7th July 2022, a near record high maximum atmospheric pressure for Ireland. The current record is 1037.9 hPa on 1st July 1933 at Malin Head according to Met Éireann, although reanalysis doesn't suggest such high pressure on the day though pressure rose a few days later afterwards.

That would be the 5th instance of a remarkable high pressure system close to our shores in the space of 4 years. The other occasions being Sep/Oct 2018, Jan 2020 and Mar 2020.

Advertisement