Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Yesterday was an absolute beaut of a day around here warm sunny and calm. Hoping today will deliver again as this summer really owes us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,403 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Feeling warm in Galway already. And so so calm.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Drizzle and mist on the west coast, we're heading for one week straight of almost zero sunshine!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I assume you mean record high pressure for the month of July? The highest of any month was 1051.9 hPa on January 28th, 1905.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Its why I was very sceptical of these "summery" forecasts last week.

Unless a high pressure is positioned just right to bring us easterly winds, its a bust for sunshine at this time of year.

Someone said last week the problem is that its an Azores rather than a Scandi high this week. Is that the case?

In any case, we tend to get much clearer, sunnier weather this time of year with a "mobile westerly" than we do with high pressure.

It might give a shower a day, but usually more pleasant and enjoyable than the past week.

Also, the last week has highlighted the relatively poor value of using upper-air temperatures for an Irish weather forecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely weather for the majority of the country and some people still not happy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

If you've been sitting under a heavy blanket of grey mist for the last 10 days, (and the same is forecast for the next 10) what's happening the other end of country isn't very relevant to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Perfect condtions for a run. No hot sun, or sun at all lol See lots people posting blue skies in parts of Kerry and parts of Wexford this morning.

Overcast and dull Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭ascophyllum

Not complaining here about the weather (there's no point!) It's actually grand weather for doing heavy work outside and growth is super this year unlike previous years where we had a drought in May or June in the west. Just remarking how notable it is to be stuck in the same pattern for a prolonged period of time, same as the winter just gone, I think there wasn't a single ground frost here, maybe 1 or 2 max which is very notable. But it was a mild flow of air for months and months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Probably the worst day we had all week on the Donegal coast yesterday, heavy drizzle and mist with really low visibility from morning to night that unlike most of the week was really wetting.

This morning it's... heavy drizzle and mist with really low visibility. Unless I'm mistaken I believe we're at 0.00% sunshine over the past 7 days. Thankfully I'm getting the f*** away from here for a while next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭jaffa20

If petrol wasn't so expensive, i'd be tempted to get in the car and drive 100kms south to escape this cloud!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

So far in this spell the further south you are the better I think. Beautiful here in Cork since Wednesday so certainly spell not a bust here. This is the sky overhead of my house this morning. But its all subjective and if I was the one getting cloud you'd hear all about it from me!

Anyway, gonna enjoy it while it lasts down here...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm another one of those stations! When the sun is shining onto it I take 2º off it, basically.

Part of the problem with these low- mid range stations is that they have the temperature sensor and the solar radiation sensor on the same unit. I can't cover the unit to put it in the shade as the solar radiation sensor is then covered too.

There isn't a good mid range system out there with seperarable sensors. I'm not counting the Davis units, which are good technology coupled to a late 1990s interface.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

That's fairly strange logic to be fair. I've been staring at the satellite all week hoping for cloud to budge and I'd say majority of the country in terms of landmass has had cloudy conditions the last few days for good chunks of the time. Parts of the South and West doing much better as seen below. But like why should that make someone happy they have cloud or poorer conditions? State of play today currently, lots of cloud continuing to barrel in from the NW and many will have to hope the cloud burns off later.

On a similar line of thinking, we should never complain about our own local conditions because sure it's sunny in Spain and Portugal or some other place. The negativity policing thing is getting really tiring. People making announcements they are retiring from the thread because they can't deal with people in the north west accurately describing their weather. I lived in the NW for 6 months only one year and the people on here are holding back in the words they choose to describe things. It is utterly miserable up there when the cool drizzly spells with low cloud sets in and last for what feels like weeks on ends. It just really doesn't matter what other people are reporting, just put 'em on ignore folks if it's an issue.

Anyway whatever. It's completely cloudy here again for now so hopefully it will clear up later before 7pm. I absolutely hope those in the south or wherever are enjoying the sunshine. But that ain't gonna make me happy till I get some myself 🤞.

EDIT: Met.E cloud forecast sequence paints a very poor picture for my area for the rest of today. Literally no end in sight of the cloud until late evening again. Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

Very misty in Sligo today but it should break up after lunch. It would be less depressing if there wasn't a weather forecast earlier in the week saying 20c to 24c but it could yet get to 20c by 8pm as its Summer I think.

Wev had some sun this week. Today will probably be misty till 1pmthen cloudy till 3pm and fair after that. So I wouldn't get too down. Though breaks in Donegal will be later.

Tomorrow and Monday should be mid twenties everywhere n all yer houses will be roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭Ozvaldo

Clear blue sky lovely sunshine Cork City

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

14.5C and overcast here on the Kerry coast, was cloudy much of yesterday too even though it was sunny and very warm in Castleisland , heading inland a bit today and to S Kerry so hoping for some clear skies .

Great crop of raspberries this year, not a horticulturist but thinking the duller weather not forcing them out too quickly and the heavy rain spell gone by just came at the right time. They really are just left to fend for themselves and often just leave to the birds but we are taking our share this year 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Very cloudy again this morning with a little drizzle in the air at about 6am.

Let's hope this cloud breaks down.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Heading for the clear patch!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

Smashing morning absolutely beautiful our third nice day of the summer glorious to see and feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Winter we never get proper snow coz a Northwesterly sets in instead of direct Northerly in Summer we don't get proper heat coz a Northwesterly takes told for 3 months spilling sea mist and cloud onto us. Well I guess it's a good thing coz who'd want 32c if High was placed 200 miles more east all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yes of course, that's why I stated the current July record rather than the January one. Admittedly, I should have been somewhat clearer.

Scandi highs are no guarantee either. The last Scandi high in summer was August 2020 which brought very humid air from the east and subsequently a lot of fog and low cloud for the east.

July 2013 and July 2021 were Azores high ridges. Unlike July 2022, both ridged far north enough to cut off the Atlantic feed. See how the ridge approaches from the southwest in 2021 and then remains stationary near or over us for a week. All the while winds are variable first then veering east later.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Beautiful morning again in Galway, third day in a row. Sat out the back for about an hour and felt very hot in the sun out of the breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Lovely summers day with warm sunshine,will make a gorgeous weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Not to get ahead of myself and curse the afternoon, but satellite suggests plenty more areas in the East and North could get into action early enough today and not have to wait till later in the evening. Some green starting to appear beneath the cloud blanket. Glorious sun continuing in much of the south and west.

EDIT: With the bit of burn off happening, I can see that I'm actually stuck under a thicker bank of cloud (Laois/Kildare/Wexford regions) that isn't budging at all. Maybe something to do with what Danno alluded to last night?

Post edited by John.Icy on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Have been looking at that as well and I agree and that we'll be getting reports soon about the sun beginning to make an appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Astonishing temperatures being progged for England nxt weekend,mid 40s ,incredible probably won't happen but Astonishing to see them forecasted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,012 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Lovely and warm in Wexford but cloudy at the moment. Looking at sat24 it seems to be burning off quite quickly so shaping up to be a gorgeous afternoon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still completely cloudy here in Meath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Misty drizzle here in South West Dublin, another dark cloudy one,sun might pop out for 20 mins dis evening like the last 2 days if we're lucky

Advertisement