Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

For the Dublin lads, is it a blue sky day there? Surprised it got to 27c + there, and I thought there was even a suggestion it was partly cloudy there which would make it even more impressive. It's 70% cloudy here today but still very pleasant. Least warm day since Thursday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Bar Killkenny/Carlow the Shannon basin from South Donegal to Limerick city has the best potential for extreme temperatures as has been shown the last few years time and again.

Having lived on both east coast and north west yes the east coast over the spring/summer/autumn has much longer spells of settled weather, but for spikes the west along the river is always prone to a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Far from blue skies. A mix of overcast and hazy sunshine throughout the day with a few proper sunny breaks here and there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭appledrop

I have to say I'm very surprised it got to 27 degrees doesn't feel it to me here in NCD

Yes it's very humid but no sunshine whatsoever and it's even getting a bit dark now like a rain shower could be on the way.

Think we only hit 21 degrees here yesterday but evening felt much nicer to me as loads of sunshine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Reached 27C at Dunshaughlin earlier, not often we get that, maybe 6 or 7 times per decade. Got it twice last summer during the July heatwave and a few times during 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Was that the 2nd August 1990? Remember that day well. I know the 1st was warm too.

Surprised its so infrequent. Suppose the Irish Sea influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It was indeed, 28.7C at Dublin Apt. That day the Botanic Gardens in Glasnevin reached 31.0C, the joint highest temp in Dublin on record with July 2006. Here's how 11 July 2022 stands in the airport's records if the 27.2C figure is to be believed.

02 Aug 1990 28.7C

15 Jul 1983 27.6C

15 Jul 1989 27.5C

11 Jul 2022 27.2C

20 Aug 1995 27.1C

19 Jul 1989 26.9C

28 Jul 2001 26.9C

14 Aug 1983 26.8C

28 Jul 1995 26.8C

17 Jul 2021 26.8C

I was 14 years old at the beach in Curracloe and the temperature in Ross Lane was 27c I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

That stat is all I'll remember this day for though. As others have said, there's been tons of high cloud throughout. The days of July 2021 were much more spectacular for both grand heat and bags of sunshine. Take me back to 17 July 2021 🥲

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Highest today was 27.8 C at the Phoenix Park. Dublin Airport didn't get higher than that 27.2 C.

Casement 26.1. Oak Park 26.3 C.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Aaaaand the rain is back in Sligo. Temperature dropping fast.

Ground never really got wet in the south east and south midlands. We could have a bit of a drought on our hands, depending on how the weather breaks/takes up again after the hot spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Starting to rain here in Carrick but well needed, still warm 21c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭firemansam4

Nice to finally get a little bit of heat this summer in Donegal, probably only a few hours of sunshine here yesterday, but ill take it.

Back to atlantic misery here now, but hoping we may get a half decent weekend next weekend. Cant really ask for more than that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely the Irish sea influence. Once there is even a sniff of a sea breeze temperatures rarely go above 26C. Majority of times we get high pressure there is a sea breeze but there was none today. We need a south-westerly to get temperatures above 26C like what happened today.

Do you get a fohn effect with that or would you be too far from the Wicklow/Dublin mountains?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I was surprised by that also. Even in a fair to average summer here we get several days of 26 or 27C.

As WJL says, it's usually down to a long land-fetch from the east or south east.

It peaked at 25.4C here today. Very cloudy. Was 27.4C yesterday in the sun.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Got up to 24.6C here near Tralee today and cloud filled in making it quite dull and humid tonight, a few drops earlier but barely wet the ground, just dropped below 20C now, house reading 23.3C ,going to make a nice smoothie with the fan on beside me 😀

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Is it just me, or does Cork City never seem to get the higher temps that most of the rest of the country gets during warm spells like this.

The temps down here have been between 20C to 23C max it seems, although the official Cork weather station is based at a higher altitude at the airport. It feels quite uncomfortable with the humidity. Very clammy feeling. The dry heat of 2018 would be far more preferable for me.

• Advertisement

It seems only a matter of time (within a decade) before 33.3C is broken. A lot more years reaching 30C. 2013, 2016 Mt Dillon in July, 2018, 2021 last July.

In the 90s you only had 95. In the 80s 1989 and possibly 1983. 28c was the max in 1984. Meath were playing Dublin in a Leinster final.

The 2000s had 2006. 2003 and 2005 went close.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,511 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

29 or 30 are definitely in play now for Sunday and or Monday depending on which model solution is closest to reality. Shannon would be the favourite for the top reading because it probably reads a bit too high anyway in warm situations. Thunderstorms (for Monday in particular) are still in the realm of the possible but maybe not yet the probable. Quite a range of possible ways the warm spell (heat wave for some others) can break down, all depends on track of Iberian low into the forecast zone (including the timing).

May do a snap contest on this warm spell outcome just for fun. Watch for it.

Wet evening, very mild.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

I do think it is because of the location of the airport, normally once a year I have seen snow reported at cork airport while down in the city it is sleet at best.

Mentioned in an earlier post the airport was reporting 23C last Friday while all weather stations on weather underground were reporting between 24C and 28C. I understand many of them are not exactly accurate but I think they can be a better indicator than an accurate reading from the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Todays max

I saw this on netweather.

Paywall article - Heatwave Emergency Level 4 could be declared (The Telegraph)

"Ministers are drawing up plans for the first-ever national heatwave emergency that would cause widespread disruption to schools, travel and health services.

Senior officials held a crisis Cobra meeting inside Downing Street on Monday, as forecasters predicted that the record for Britain's hottest day could be broken at the weekend – potentially smashing through the 104F (40C) barrier for the first time.

On Monday, the Met Office issued an amber weather warning for swathes of the UK, indicating a “danger to life” caused by the heatwave. Such a warning has only ever been issued twice before.

Amber Weather Warning issued

This rare Extreme Heat warning covers much of England and parts of Wales 

Exceptionally high temperatures are possible from Sunday, lasting into early next week #heatwave 

Latest info 

https://t.co/QwDLMfRBfs

Stay #WeatherAware

pic.twitter.com/Ahe0nxK4aU

— Met Office (@metoffice) July 11, 2022

But a more widespread national emergency could also be declared, due to the threat of disruption caused by record-breaking temperatures.

According to the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA), a national emergency – known as a level four emergency – is declared when the hot weather is so extreme that “illness and death may occur among the fit and healthy”, as well as the most vulnerable.

A UKHSA spokesman said: "There's a possibility of a level four heatwave. If it gets above 40C, then it is likely to be a level four heatwave for the first time.

"I don't see how it couldn't be in those temperatures."

Such an emergency indicates that food supplies could be hit, as well as disruption on the roads and rail, the shutdown of classrooms and even nuclear power plants put out of action.

It would also “threaten the integrity of the health and social care system”.

Members of the public have been told not to make 999 calls "in emergencies only".

"Substantial changes in working practices and daily routines [are] likely to be required," said the Met Office, with the amber warning expected to be extended into Monday.

Unions called for employees to be allowed to work from home in the heat and to ditch jackets and ties.

Some Conservative MPs questioned the need for the national emergency and the resulting disruption.

Sir John Hayes, chairman of the Common Sense Group of Conservative MPs, said: "This is not a brave new world but a cowardly new world where we live in a country where we are frightened of the heat. It is not surprising that in snowflake Britain, the snowflakes are melting. Thankfully, most of us are not snowflakes.

"The idea that we clamour for hot weather for most of the year and then shut down when it does heat up is indicative of the state in which we now live."

Temperatures of over 104F (40C) were possible, breaking the current record of 101.6F (38.7C) set in 2019, the Met Office said.

Plans drawn up by the NHS and UKHSA warn that children should be kept from "vigorous physical activity" on days where temperatures exceed 86F (30C).

"Some schools have had to close classrooms where conditions are too hot," the plans added.

Sports days were cancelled on Monday, while schools could also rearrange start, finish and play times to avoid the hottest parts of the day, the official Heatwave Plan for England has suggested.

No overriding communique on the heatwave has been sent to schools from the Government yet, but it is understood one could be sent later this week.

A Department for Education source said any heatwave-related school closures were “comparable to a snow day” and therefore a “matter for headteachers”, as Covid-era laws allowing ministers to block such closures were no longer in force.

A DfE spokesman pointed to the NHS guidance as the current reference point for schools".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Extraordinary times.

18z just rolling, I have a feeling it will ramp it up another notch!

I think we need to call the bouncers.

Heat shifting north by an extra 150km and further west compared to the 12z

33C for Dunsany. This is not possible.

This is kinda embarressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Heat in England brought down a few degrees, Ireland pretty much on course for 32c.

• Advertisement

A 32 on the GFS is usually a 34.

Advertisement