Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z again pushes the heat out further by another couple of hours. Low 20s on Saturday. Mid twenties on Sunday and high twenties on Monday and Tuesday.

will 33C be smashed on Monday at Shannon!

GEM wants to bring the record smashing potential to Dublin/Meath with a 32C for the Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Has it ever happened before? I certainly don't think so....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

UKMO pushes pockets of +24 up through the country on Monday.

GFS 6z and 12z have sobered up a bit. The UKMO and GEM the hottest charts of the day. What will the ECM 12z bring. Will tonights GFS pub run go all out for glory tonight?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

It's quite mad as it's freezing in Sligo this evening. 14c and fair enough but wind is very cold. Yad need a coat. Might be only 6 or 7c tonight in parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Wearing shorts from earlier but Im after putting on a wooly jumper and put down a wee fire. The joys of an Irish summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

There is a freshness to the evening but its still lovely weather. This weekend could be exciting. If the models come to fruition, we may see the record fall or come very close to it. We may even see mid 20s in Donegal. I consider anything above 21°C a hot day! Mother doesn't take the heat well. This type of an evening with a fresh feel is what she likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭almostthere12

In D13 around 1km from the coast, late afternoon yesterday had a very cool breeze whereas at the same time today or slightly later it was a lot warmer breeze out here. Yesterday had the higher temperatures around Dublin but definitely felt warmer today out here.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,974 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Didn't drop below 16C here last night and went up to 19.3C, was down in Cork and was a bit damp a times but grand getting around the city, overcast and feeling close, come back to my home out by the coast here in Kerry and 14.6C, the lowest temperature of the day, definitely behind the cold front now in the colder airmass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lovely bright sun setting in the distance. Didn't see it all day as overcast. Unusual colour clouds all around the bright sun. Perfect comfortable temps this evening. Meath.

Had a light shower earlier in Dunshaughlin which did wet the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

@sryanbruen who looks after MetAlertIreland on FB and Instgram

Normally first up with the pattern change, outlooks, advisories, storms and significant weather events. Last post at Easter :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Isn't It mad, that with the global warming happening elsewhere around the world, that our national record came from two centuries ago?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

• Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yet, despite being one of the longest standing temperature records, when it does fall it will be attributed entirely to climate change and CO2 emissions, regardless of whether this is the case or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Hey, I know the person behind it and I'm awaiting response to see for you. Will let you know.

I’ll just speak for myself. I’m a weather geek/ fanatic, love extremes and the excitement that it brings so I would very much like Ireland’s highest ever temperature record in the 19th century broken soon.

This is really the only weather related record I want to see broken for Ireland. None of us are entirely sure how accurate it is since it's nearly 200 years old and the fact that it's never been beaten since makes you wonder the accuracy. It also verifies that getting real heat into Ireland is an absolute nightmare considering our horrible geoghraphy. We have the second lowest maximum temperature of any European territory by a large margin and I really want to see it beaten but we'll never catch up with the UK, Norway, Sweden or Denmark. Iceland is the lowest but even they have broken 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭The HorsesMouth

I know all the talk is about the upcoming potential record breaking spell but can anyone shed light on the possibility of this being a cloudfest? In the midlands here and we saw the sun sunday afternoon for a few hours and nothing since then. Previous to that it was Thursday. The lack of sun this July is really the main feature of our weather. Is it the same for most other areas or just the midlands?

Same in Roscommon.

Agree with you, I've no interest in warm, grey, leaden cloud weather. Have had plenty of it already!

Having said that, this sun has just broken through now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

The fact that our national record has stood for so long is tantamount to the lack of variability in our weather compared to our continental friends.

That said, if it was truly a one in 200 year (or more) event surely records should have been set on the near continent at the same time in order for such heat to be reached in Ireland. But we don't see that. Personally I'm sceptical about the accuracy of it.

As someone who doesn't like anything above 25C I'll take 23-25C and sunny with a breeze, usually the onshore breeze delivers here in the warmer spells :)

Clear blue skies here this morning in south Dublin.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Looks like a beautiful one today, glorious sunshine this morning.

I'm the same I'd prefer a day of 21 or 22 degrees with pure sunshine then it getting to 27 but no sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Another lovely sunny morning in Galway. I am loving this spell of weather.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Not much difference here in Meath either, barely any sun since the middle of June. Sunday was the only properly sunny day we've had this month, there was some hazy sun early on Monday but very little since and barely anything before Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

He's back in the office and his child is taking up a lot of his time. He's hoping to be back into it by the autumn so don't expect any updates there in regards to this potential hot weather.

Irish Weather Online (I may be biased) in the meantime is a good one to look at :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Wonder how many of those records have been in the last 10- 20 yrs??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

We actually have the lowest max temperature of any country on earth after Iceland!

Been busy this week so haven't really been keeping tabs on the potential heat but do we not usually need several days of high pressure in-situ and clear blue skies for temperatures to get into the 30s here? An active plume is also likely to have cloud in the mix so I'd be skeptical we'd see any records broken. Interesting to watch all the same

Glorious morning here in SCD. Lots of blue sky and feeling pleasantly warm.

I knew about Iceland but didn't realise we were that low on the world wide scale. Basically only Greenland and Iceland have a lower max temperature than Ireland and both of those are also 30C. Just goes to show how bad our geography is for warm weather.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭pad199207

Lack of stations another annoying factor.

Advertisement