Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well the statistics are in for yesterday, Dublin airport reached a Max of 11.5 and Dunsany similar at 11.6.

They have to be some of lowest Max for a day in June.

And people were wondering why myself and Gonzo had the heating on, well there you go.

The only thing I'm surprised is that the rainfall is as low as it was.

It literally didn't stop raining in Dublin from 6am-10pm but I suppose some of it was more drizzly at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Since 1942 when records began at the Airport, there have been 18 colder June days in terms of absolute max than 5 June 2022. On 11 June 1977 it only got up to 9.1C all day. 6 June 2009 got up to 9.3C and 2 June 1964 got up to 9.8C. Recently, we only got 11.1C on 12 June 2019 and 3 June 2012 (the day I mentioned comparable to yesterday).

She's out

Thanks Sryanbruen, always on the ball, so it is up there with one of coldest days in June.

I'm nearly afraid now to ask but do you know if in any of those years they ended up having a good summer in the end?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭KanyeSouthEast

OVERVIEW: Becoming quite unsettled through the rest of the week with wet and blustery conditions at times.  

rest of the week. Becoming quite unsettled? What exactly would you describe it now? Wet and blustery. Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,660 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

As silly as it sounds, can understand what they're saying. Later this week we could be talking deep low pressure with strong winds. Meanwhile this weekend and today has been a flabby upper trough sticking around the south of the country whilst a weak ridge of high pressure has been keeping the far north dry and sunny.

It is funny though 😂 sure we'll be the last ones laughing when we endure yet MORE bloody wind.

Thankfully it's dry in Dublin this morning, so it's off to park in case it rains.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,200 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Day 3 of the bank holiday weekend and its once again dry with sunny spells here in Castlebar. A very pleasant few days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

Day 3 and I have yet to see the sun. Spent Saturday in Waterford and got drowned. Yesterday at home in Laois, washout. Today, gloom all around, no rain yet I suppose.

The piece that annoys me the most is that a warm sunny weekend was predicted up to Wednesday/Thursday...

It's the hope that kills you.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Whatdoesitmatter

Stunning day in Dublin 7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

The cloud cover is now a uniformly slate grey colour, a sight to behold.

Is their any signs of 2 dry days on the horizon to make silage in the Munster area? The bbc had a high pressure out in the Atlantic at the end of their long range forecast, we need that to move in. This week is no good. Another damp day here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

Went to wexford to get out of the house and she appeared. Didn’t expect it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Really warm and sunny in Cork City now

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

15.2C here out by the coast in Kerry, totally overcast after a damp morning, early afternoon...signs of the cloud getting lighter.

Hopefully the cloud will break up from the South for the evening.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a much better day today in Meath, Sun has finally appeared and it actually feels really warm compared to yesterday even tho the temperature is only 15C.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭mcburns07

This afternoon has managed to rescue what remains of the bank holiday. Sunny and quite pleasant.

A beautiful day now in NCD, sun is shining.

Glad we went to park later on in day as benefited most then from the nice weather.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,321 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Blue sky and some sun at last. Actually quite pleasant in the sun as the wind has died down. Making the most of the afternoon.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely make the most of the nice afternoon. No shortage of rainfall from tomorrow and over the following 7 days. Managed to get the lawn cut today to take advantage of this slim window of opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Lovely day in North Dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 241 ✭✭champchamp

Still gloomy here in Laois, actually started raining here a few minutes ago. Waste of what appeared to be a promising weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭snowgal

Have to say absolutely stunning here near Trim, I think it’s the nicest evening so far this year proper warmth in the Sun 🌞

Yeah same in NCD. Toasty in the evening sun. Evening warmth is a rarity so it was certainly cherished today.

Met Eireann forecast doesn't show much rain for the next week. Is their forecast a waste of time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Setting sun unreal fireball on the M50. They probably can't even see it setting in Salthill as sat24 shows cloud cover most of the country. Welcome dry day for the outdoors in Wicklow hills today after rain all day yesterday.

I just took a look again and the charts don't look as wet as they did up to yesterday. It will still be unsettled with rain/showers everyday from tomorrow evening but the totals have certaintly come down alot to what the GFS was showing up to yesterday.

We've also seen the last of the really cold daytime temperatures for the time being. Temperatures from tomorrow will be back to a more normal level generally 15 to 19C instead of the 10 to 13C we've been used to over the past week.

Huzzah

Tomorrow looks fairly decent for much of the country with temperatures finally where they should be for summer. Up to 20C possible in places tomorrow with high teens almost nationwide.

Tomorrow looks mostly dry across the eastern half of the country until very late in the day. Showers in some western and south-western areas with a band of heavy rain moving in there from the afternoon.

Tomorrow should make up for the atrocious temperatures and damp gloom we had over the weekend.

Thursday and Friday could be decent in Leinster and parts of Ulster too with some sunny spells and temperatures possibly reaching 21C, but with charts changing so quickly recently I wouldn't bank on that yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Thought the cloud was going to break here near Tralee when I posted last just before 14.00 but it did the exact opposite , very low dense stratus and raining all the afternoon into the evening, in fact a very fine mist and humid air at 21.40 when I took the picture below. Like a fireball as Kutebride said above, loads of moisture in the atmosphere, the only sunshine I saw all day.

Advertisement