Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Got close to 25c in south Laois today, was out in the sun all day... glorious afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking forward to the warm settled spell where to have, i have to say its mad to see the models being so consistent, we could honestly do with a few more days of warm to hot days although obviously not to the last heatwave extent

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

More rain this morning. 15C.

Leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Cloudier day in Dublin after the beautiful blue skies yesterday but another dry day and 20 degrees. Still very pleasant weather

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Miserable in Donegal. Dried up for a while earlier after a wet morning but back to heavy rain again now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Was a cool, windy and drizzly morning in Trim, Meath. Went for a brief walk around lunchtime and it was still very breezy indeed, a breeze that was in no way warm and left me feeling silly (and cold) for not bringing a jacket with me. Just finishing up work and have looked out the window and it's dull and raining again. If I'm to go out with the dog now, I'll need a jacket with a hood as a brolly won't stay open for long in that wind!

Some very heavy looking rain in the north midlands at the moment, mainly north of the N4/6 and looking at the satellite would suggest that a lot of the northern half of the Republic will have bouts of heavy rain this evening.......yuck.

Regarding the upcoming settled weather, the last few GFS runs would not have me so confident about the strength nor the longevity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

We were very lucky with weather today in NCD.

Very breezy but warm, from lunchtime on wards there were big dark clouds, looked like it would lash rain at any moment but held off and never did.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Mostly sunny here in Waterford, got quite strong the sun where you could feel yourself cooking. Wind has died down and the breeze was a welcome cooling. Thought there was going to be rain with some of the black clouds passing but nothing happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,613 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yeah my apologies for jinxing us :(

Edit: And of course as soon as the GFS wobbles, the ECM goes the other way and shows a settled hot run. Typical

Post edited by sryanbruen on

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I can only sum up Summer 2022 so far as cool and wet, warm and sticky. Not a fan. Hoping for a crisp, dry Autumn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,159 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Was out there having a look at a DHL 777 passing over. some amount of shooting stars about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Quite a wet evening in Sligo. Rainfall currently at 160percent of normal for Sligo town as our 2 out of 20 good August's looks set to become 2/21.

Though it's pretty natural after a warm July to get lots of rain in August which is probably why it happens most years.

Another lovely sunny morning in NCD.

We have had a very good start to August here in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭OldRio

Showery morning here in Leitrim. 13C. Feeling cool but at least we can see occasional blue skies. Much better than the rain of yesterday.

Beautiful blue skies in Dublin this morning, cooler than previous days at 17 degrees at the moment but a beautiful day

Cool and very breezy in Trim, Meath. A mix of sunshine and cloud, about 50/50 but cloud is increasing and it looks like showers will be arriving soon. Mild in the sun, only if also sheltered from the wind, otherwise feeling rather autumnal and needing a jacket outside. Could be worse but it's far from pleasant in this part of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

In Dublin this week, went out on bike this morning and it was bloody freezing. Windy and cool now. Single figures tonight it looks like, in feckin' August. London has me spoiled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Hopefully the GFS 6Z is latching onto the correct signal, keeps the HP pumping right up to the end of next weekend and beyond.

Yeah I got a bit of a shock when I went out, much cooler than it has been.

Watching the charts (not just GFS) like a hawk - Hoping to try take a few days holiday next week, the question is what days look the best!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yeah I'm off next week for 4 days of golf so I'm paying way more attention to current summer output than I normally would!

Thelonious Monk, to be fair the weather has been superb in Dublin since early July, there have been about 3 days in the past 30 that haven’t gone over 20 degrees. The temp has basically been 23-33 degrees with probably a dozen of those over 25 degrees in that time. London has had a hotter than normal July too but Dublin has fared really well since start of July. Today is cooler but still sunny and very pleasant

• Registered Users Posts: 14,291 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

ah yeah this is nice compared to some of the nonsense going on over there lately with the 40c etc, but I just got a shock at 730 this morning when I was cycling down to the seafront, the wind would cut you

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Lovely day here. Breezy and partly sunny with dewpoint in single figures with temp a perfect feeling 16c.

Alive weather.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Feeling slightly autumnal when the sun goes in behind the cloud today in Dublin, looking forward to the big warm up Sunday onwards, nxt week looking quite toasty

Went for a walk a short while ago, had the winter jacket on and zipped up. Was needed apart from a section of pathway in the park that had high trees to the immediate west, sheltering me from the strong cool breeze, combined with a good spell of sunshine.......I unzipped the jacket for that bit. God, I'm really missing the warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

How anyone can consider this dull cloudy crapfest of a summer 'superb' is beyond me...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Just back after a 10 day break, first few days were in the Netherlands and the past 6 days was in the Tullamore/Athlone/Glasson area for a wedding so I haven't really had a chance to look at the models since the 3rd week of July. The weather in the midlands over the past few days was very mixed, loads of rain on the Saturday, a decent Sunday and an absolute washout of a Monday with torrential rain. My american cousin was getting married that day and he was far from impressed with the deluge that took place throughout his big day. Tuesday was a nice day but was nowhere nearly as warm as the weather in Meath or Dublin. Looks like the rain that fell here was much, lighter, Dunsany only reporting 4mm of rain since the start of August.

The drive back today from the midlands to Dunshaughlin saw the very green fields around the midlands become less green the closer I got home with plenty of wilted yellow to brown grass around my local area.

I believe there is plenty of warm and dry weather on the way so will take a look at the models this evening for the first time in ages and see whats in store but it does look like this August is going to be considerably more like summer than many of the Augusts over the past 20 years. Temperatures here in Meath have generally been 20 to 27C over the past month so we have a few cooler days to contend with now before temperatures lift up again from this Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

A cooler day in North Kilkenny. Grand when working in it but if you sit down you start to feel the cool breeze. Accentuated by the altitude over 300m where I am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

Depends what you like and where you are.

In the greater Dublin/east Leinster region (so where about a third of the entire country lives) it's been warmer and dryer than average for weeks. Has been a bit dull at times (but it's Ireland).

Since the final week in June, around 25 days have gone above 20º in the Dublin area. And we'll hit a few more over the coming week.

So it absolutely has felt like summer to me.

Advertisement