Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

What I've noticed on this thread is that some people really talk up the weather, more talk it down. Glass half full or half empty people maybe or just different perspectives and different notions of what exactly constitutes a good summer. Also huge variations around the country. That poster may be in the sunny south east, whereas you, like me, might be in a cloudier, cooler part.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Dry would be the basic starting point for me for good weather in summer. Next temperature, wind chill etc. Today fell down on that in Nth Kilkenny. Finally sunshine. 2022 has had decent sunshine here but this has been the weakest point of the summer here.

However dry, warm have been more than adequate and sunshine not bad. A good summer here for me.

This year, as mostly it's all location, location, location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

I agree, hardly ‘superb’ .

Today has been typical of the general pattern of the summer so far - an irritating very gusty and cool north west wind, chilly autumnal mornings, sunny til around 10am, cloudy all day and sunny again in the evenings.

So a very average summer (so far) in my opinion, even the very warm spell was predominantly cloudy.

We’ve seen a lot of this this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have to agree. July was so dry and I got loads done outside. I remember July to be dry and calm. I don't care too much for temps above low 20s but I enjoyed the hot spell and got lots of swimming/snorkeling/kayaking done.

I would take that July every year.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Sin é. Amazing the difference in what Sligo, Donegal etc are getting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Having spent most of July in Dublin I found this really hard to believe and just looking at the July stats from Casement and DUB there were actually 13 days at each that didn't reach 20C and only 6 that topped 23C. Combined with lots of fully overcast days and a nagging chilly breeze I found it a fairly average month overall, bar the 3 day hot spell obviously. Though to be fair it was at least dry most days so fairly pleasant overall

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What I really enjoy about this country is that we get 4 well defined seasons. The cycle of life is a joy to behold every year. I am already looking forward to picking apples and blackberries and hazelnuts. Looks like a bumper crop this year. I even like the downtime in winter.

A little more snow in winter and it would be perfect. By a little I mean a lot !

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

We getting something approaching 4 seasons, but each season more emphasised with greater potential for extremes would be nice. Somewhere like New York has the perfect climate in that respect.

I love August. And I find hard to say why. Days slowly pulling in. Everything ripening, grain and fruit. As a child I loved going back to school and into a new class🙈

The childhood ritual of watching the Rose of Tralee at the end of the month. Every 3 years American cousins came home in August.

Old TV memories. A 2 part series 'Cyclone Tracy' about the Christmas 1974 cyclone in Darwin was shown mid August 1988 on RTE. The change in season towards the end of the month. More mists and mellows though daytime temperatures are often as good, if not better, than high summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Donegal storm, I find that hard to believe. Look at Phoenix park, there has been a 33, 29, several days around 26 or 27, several days from 22-25. That is the closest location to me and I can definitely say that there have been at least 20 days reaching 20 degrees or higher. My garden has had hardly any rain since early July. I would consider this a very good summer in these parts, much of June was poor but really good since early July.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Here in Dunshaughlin (not that far from Dublin) it's been similar to what Slashermcquirk says. Much of July has been dry. There was a cool start and an unsettled final day or so. Majority of days were 20C+ with at least 4 of them high twenties. 21 Days reached 20C or more, the rest were either 19C or 18C. However for me this is not the full story, while it has been very good from a temperature and dryness perspective, the sunshine is a bit dissapointing so not quite July 2021 in that regard.

I was away until today so can't say much about August in Meath so far but looking at the stats it's been a fairly warm August up until today and even today was very pleasant with plenty of sunshine. I am unsure how much rain fell here on Monday but looking at Dunsany stats the rain that fell here was only a fraction of what I experienced near Athlone on Monday.

Unfortunately due to being away at a wedding I never got the chance to enter MT's August competition either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Donegal Storm. I Just checked met Éireann website, Phoenix park recorded over 20 degrees on 23 of 31 days and three other days were around 19.5. Majority of those days in 20s were between 22-26 degrees and I think 6 of them were between 27-33 degrees.

Those are official max temps recorded at Phoenix park by met Éireann and that has definitely been my experience of this summer since early July. That is a damn good month of weather for Dublin on any given July!

For good measure, we have just begun August and the first 3 days of the month at Phoenix park were 21 degrees, 25 degrees and 21 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Yes ,it's been that warm/humid sometimes hot in Dublin these last few weeks today has felt like autumn when the sun has gone in even though temperatures have come in at the seasonal average today

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

June was very disappointing but July/ start of August has been great in NCD.

As you all know I'm great for scientific facts to prove the weather so here I go.

I bought loads of new shorts for my son for our holidays in July and they never came out of wardrobe in June too cold for him.

However since we came home in early July they have been on him nearly everyday(This is a miracle he is a very cold creature like his mammy🤣)

It has been really warm everyday, even during the dull days. For last 5 weeks it has hardly ever rained( except of course for Sat gone when I choose to go to Tayto Park🙄). Yes lack of sunshine at times but sure nothing new there for an Irish summer.

Even Monday here was lovely and warm and sunny up until 2pm when the rain came.

Today was a shock to the system, I'd forgotten how cold a summer's day can be in Ireland with it only hitting 16 or 17 degrees and some years we have weeks of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭appledrop

Just to say I do realise not everywhere has had a good July, the amount of rain days for Donegal was shocking when I looked at Met Eireann summary for July.

I think it was the poster Thelonius Monk was saying last night temps were to go single digit.

Wouldn't that be normal enough? I remember a lot of summers in the 80s and 90s (bar 95) when the forecast would be 8-12C at night.

Just on a different note imagine August 1986 had a mean of 12.5C at the old Kilkenny station. Such a cold month, such a cold year. October 1995 equalled the 12.5C mean. I think 2001 did too and some later warm Octobers.

August 1986 struggled to see a day reaching 20C! Puts in perspective how bad 85, 86, 88 (bar June) were.

In 1985 the max temperature was around 23.5C, recorded around the 23rd July, 10 September and 23 September. A lovely September in fairness. Old Kilkenny mean of 14.5C seemed really high but blown out of the water in 2006 and last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,886 ✭✭✭sporina

fab day in Cork today - and loving the low sun.. way prettier than the sun in earlier summer months imo

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Anita22

It's at a 54 degree angle at peak as opposed to 60 degrees on 21 June. Not too low! Same as 8 May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭acequion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭compsys

OK - so that's 18 days above 20º. And the rest were all close to 19º.

PP was a huge +1.7º above average over the month. Casement +1.3º.

Even Dublin Airport (which was moved to a colder location a decade or two ago) was +1º above average.

All had rainfall well below average.

Casement had 99% of sunshine.

I honestly don't know what you're expecting from an Irish summer.

Finally got away from the cloudy isle. 38c today. Watched openings(as my granny used to call them) in the distance this evening. Saw a good 50 flashes at least but heard no thunder. Still 25c at 1am, 10c and raining back at home in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

I just hope it's dry Saturday morning for my nanny's funeral, cloud will even do

• Registered Users Posts: 9,739 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

As someone who operates between North Mayo and the big smoke the contrast between both locations since the start of July is unreal - on a similar scale to Dublin V Paris in an averge summer in terms of temps and general "feel".

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Wine Goddess

12c!!! I'm in shock it feels so chilly!

July in Dublin was good from an overall temperature point of view but really disappointing from a sun point of view, so many grey cloudy days, so even if the warmth was there it didn't feel like summer.....

For those in the NW it has been a decidedly different experience, such a pity not to even get the warmth I really feel for you all......

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'd also say that it has been a very good summer (in Cork) overall. There have been few enough godawful days and when we get them, fairly quickly the good weather comes back.

The biggest caveat is that during June and July the godawful days had a habit of appearing at the weekends. The weekdays would be nice, 20C and sun, then the weekends were poor. That really bites.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

In Sligo June was windy cold and misty July was OK because it was kind of the normal July we should get with a few nice days.

August so far has been like Autumn. Cold nights rainy or showery days. Ya can feel the August chill. 22mm of rain so far in Sligo and Markree. About 140 percent of our normal rainfall.

Our IMT for August is 14.9c which is a little above normal but most of that is attributable to Monday which was 20c in the rain and 14c in the rain at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Beautiful two days on Wexford Coast. This morning blue skies with cloud bursts, no precip visible on the radar.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭highdef

Another wet morning in Trim, Meath. Heavy rain for the past 5 minutes is now easing to moderate in intensity. That combined with the 14c temperature is making it feel decidedly more like early November than early August.

Roll on some half decent weather, mid 20's will do once there's good sunshine and little or no wind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This morning is a real shock to the system, heavy shower now at Dunshaughlin and the coolest temperatures we have had since June. Currently 15C. We just have to get through the next 2 days of a cold plunge and we should be back to temperatures of 20C+ from Saturday and throughout next week.

Advertisement