Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

I think France has always had temps up to around 40 and higher. I lived for a few years in south of France and 33-42 were common place (especially inland places like Nimes, Avignon, Arles, Aix and other parts of Provence). Even Paris hits 40 or higher from time to time, I think Paris had 42 this year and 43 a couple of years ago.

UK hitting 40 has happened once ever in history, which was a couple of weeks ago, sure even Dublin hit 33 that week which is so unusual, those temps in Ireland more common in the midlands. I think hotter temps will become more normal but I still think what happened a couple of weeks ago will be very much the exception. It takes so many factors to come into play for Ireland to hit 33 degrees and for UK to reach 40.

In the likes of France, Spain and Italy it will become a much more regular feature.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I remember up to 2017 I would consider getting to 25C at least once in the summer was a sign of a decent summer. We have had many summers were getting higher than 23C was a struggle, particularly the summers of 2007 to 2012 which were all poor summers. Higher than 25C in Meath would happen only 2 to 3 summers per decade. Over the past few years getting to 25C is now an annual occurance, it is no longer exciting but it is very welcome. High twenties starting to become more regular over the past 9 years or so. However we will continue to see poor summers from time to time and we may be due a poor summer next year. Summer of 2020 is the only standout bad summer since 2012 in my opinion.

Our summers definitely seem to be becoming a little more reliable now compared to when I was a child and teenager years. Our winters unfortunately are in a dire state most of them write offs. We are very much overdue a proper colder than average winter, last one was 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Thought 2017-8 was a decent winter with plenty of snowfall throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Absolute cracker of a day in Cork. Considering how the next few weeks are due to pan out, it’s definitely one of the best summers of the last few decades here. Bit cloudier than Ud like at times but nice and dry mostly and a few excellent spells.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Best of the weather from Wednesday to Sunday next appears to follow the last few years high spells. Shannon basin from Donegal town to Limerick and down into to mid Cork with the east coast taking the cooling breezes rather than any westerly affecting the country.

A great one to look forward to finally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Started off rainy and cloudy but beaut of a day now in mid Galway. Sun is out, little breeze, sitting out the back. Not sweating much in the sun but very pleasant to sit out in. Fairly sheltered garden by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Lucky you. I cannot remember any sunshine in my location between the hours of approx 11.00 and 18.00 at all this summer, only very short sunny spells between those hours.

Alternating between mostly cloudy and partly cloudy. Temperatures a little above 19c in a very light WNW drift. A pleasant enough summer's afternoon in south Laois.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Plenty of snow but most of it fell first 2 to 3 days of March and again on 17th March, It was closer to Spring than winter. We're well overdue a proper cold and snowy spell sometime between December and mid February.

Indeed, I should have added that for these parts - we done well from the pre-Christmas snowfall, think it was December 10th or thereabouts.

IIRC there were 6 or 7 snow events in the south midlands that winter including BFTE and St. Patrick's Day 2018.

January 2021 was a decent cold month too with some snow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Summer 22 thread………and lads on about snowfall from 1-5 years ago 🤪

Post edited by obi604 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Lovely and warm the next few days, was roasting up at the cemetery earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 23,746 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Temps could reach the mid to high 20's later in the week away from windward coasts and lots of sunshine particular second half of the week.

A beautiful period ahead.

Enjoy 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Two gorgeous days in Wexford Wednesday and Thursday.

Dry and warm but very overcast in Meath today while my pal in Wexford sending photos with full blue skies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,399 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Lovely day in Galway. A nice warm summer's breeze too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Another very pleasant day in Dublin. Sunny for half of it and then intermittent cloud but around 20 degrees. Outlook is great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭mcburns07

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Dublin, sunny mornings and evenings and a blanket of cloud in the middle of the day has been a pattern that keeps repeating ad nauseam throughout this summer.

I was wondering why my grass is still green despite drought and the reason is because the part of the day when the sun is strongest is always cloudy.

Clear now after a dull afternoon with a half moon low in the south, tomorrow will be sunny til around 11 before it clouds over until evening when the sky clears ..... and it just goes on and on and on ...

Post edited by Elmer Blooker on

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Niall145

Yep Dublin is literally sitting under this permanent cloud all summer, think we've had about 2/3 proper warm sunny days since May lol; hopefully next week we'll get a few more!

utter nonsense, weather has been unreal in Dublin since early July. It was sunny from 7am -2pm today and this evening. Grass is yellow in most parts of Dublin. If people are complaining about Dublin this summer then there is no winning lol

• Advertisement

Was in Tallaght around two weeks ago or thereabouts and the grass was getting yellow then and the trees were dropping a few leaves, I presume it's no better currently. Similar here recently across the south midlands, we're probably a week or so behind Dublin on the drought-like conditions owing to a thunderstorm in late June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Graphic from the Irish farmers Journal this week. Show Dublin and the east coast in drought. Other areas are not far off with high soil moisture deficits and the fine week ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 33,644 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Been 2 very pleasant days, and with the forecast for a very good coming week, looks like its a great week to be off work!

Many eastern locations are still struggling to reach 350mm of rainfall to this date so far this year and there is unlikely to be a drop of rain in the next 10 to 14 days. Annual rainfall in eastern areas is usually 750 to 900mm so we have a long way to go to hit that normal annual total with just 4 and a half months left in the year once the upcoming dry and warm spell is done. We would need every single month till the end of the year to reach 100mm of rainfall for this total to be meet and that is not going to happen as months with 100mm of rainfall or more usually only happens 2 or 3 months per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

This is shaping up to be the most incredible August in a long long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

I wouldn't jump the gun

Next week will be the best August spell in years. But the following week is potentially a breakdown but it could be brief. Still I feel next week's heat will be the peak of August's efforts and rainfall will finally start to arrive the following week even in the UK where I'm headed.

Also I notice Met Eireann forecast rain and cloud for Ulster tomorrow but is Sligo and Leitrim at risk. If they are why is it only Ulster. Will Mayo be dry?

Might go there to escape Sligos Ulster rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

An entire week of clear dry warm sunny weather in August would be amazing. Let's not put a downer on it before it even starts. August is usually a grey washout.

No this Summer nationwide has been relatively good but a total August heatwave won't happen. Next week and early the following week. About 8 days most but then cooler and eventually wetter.

• Advertisement

We won't get a total August heatwave but make no mistake, this is going to be the best August since 2006 or possibly earlier. Many places will get 5 days of 25C+ over the coming week and I'll expect Met Eireann to issue a yellow heat warning soon as the 5 day heatwave criteria will verify. The cool plunge after this weeks warm spell is very much FI and we could still find ourselves in a warm and volatile position instead. Tonights pub run breaks down the high pressure but keeps relatively warm air going into the 3rd week of August. Even if we get the cool week during the 3rd week of August, there is a fair chance of another reload of high pressure and warmth in the final week of August. A big change from the Augusts of the past 15 years. We're definitely making up for that dissapointing June.

Advertisement