Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

What is the link to that data? If you have it handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

Lugnaquilla doesn't even look real in this photo. It doesn't even capture the colour of the beautiful colour of the heathers in the sunlight and clear blue skies. 27⁰ here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

How can Dublin Airport be the same as the Phoenix Park (26c)?

Im not far from the airport and it’s dropped to 23 because of a strengthening SE breeze.

On July 18 the airport was four degrees lower than the PP because of a SE’ly?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just come back from a walk in Phoenix park....really warm there today. Grass looking patched though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Today is now in the top 3 August days of past 16 years

1. Today

2. Yesterday

3. Some date in August 2006.

Tomorrow will likely take over number 1 slot.

Think it's 28 in Oak park....could it get close to 30 today?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

The temperature sensor at Dublin Airport is really nearer to St. Margaret's. It's 3.5 km further inland from the most westerly part of the terminal building and is 5 km from the M1 roundabout. Current wind is 140 (SE) at 8 km, but that's measured by an anemometer sited almost 2 km east of the temperature sensor. Who knows if that sea breeze has made it inland as far as the sensor.

The Phoenix Park station's longitude of 6.350W is only 3.5 km further west (inland) than that of Dublin Airport's station (6.297W).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

29 degrees reported at Oak park at 4pm, really impressive particularly as this isn’t meant to be among the hottest days of the week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Well in addition to what GL said, DA was reading a 26c when it was also reading a W’rly light breeze at 1pm. Once it swung round to SE and picked up a little it dropped to 24c by the 2pm update while PP only lost a single rounded degree, so back to the more usual PP being ahead of DA rather than level. But it’s August now so the sea breeze effect especially such a light one isn’t overly penetrating. Casement is doing grand that bit further inland.

Breeze has dropped off again considerably in D9 anyway now and back to 25c. Today and yesterday like clock work; calm morning, slight breeze kicks in around 1pm which keeps the heat steady or takes a degree or so off things, and then by 3pm it’s pretty much calm again and we get a secondary warm up.

Those within 2-3km of the coast in Dublin are around 21-23c now so not too bad. Back in June they’d be only at maybe 17-19c with any sort of light onshore breeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,136 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Thanks for that interesting information, I’ve often wondered why Dublin A was giving readings higher than I would have expected and the further inland location explains why.

it probably explains the low temperatures recorded there on clear winter nights too?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Its been sunny for a day or two...it said on the news on the radio to stay inside and close the curtains...said might last for 4 or 5 days ...already talk of water shortage... its raining the other 360 days of the year

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFS 12z extending the very warm weather to at least Wednesday. Met Eireann may have to extend their heatwave warning to Tuesday. Leinster stays in mid twenties all the way to next Thursday.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Raining 360 days a year. Being kind to call that hyperbole 😅

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

ME is forecasting 30C for Cork city on Friday!

I have to doubt it though, their forecasted temperatures always seem a little too high, but maybe that's because the recording station is at the airport?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,643 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

That's just the media looking for clicks.

They can't wait to give us coloured weather warnings when it's going to be wet. Then they love warnings when it's going to be hot. Scare stories about how to survive the heat. You'd think it was 50c.

How did the nation ever survive hot weather before?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Some just exist above the brightest blue sky.

New Moon

Incredible moon tonight in Dublin....amazing....still sitting out in a t shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

I'd been 'Counting down the Days' till this August Heatwave and the 100% Gin Blue Skies...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

The weather is amazing what is surprising is seeing some people in leggings, long trousers etc. Just put on the shorts and sun protection and enjoy because it won’t last.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

I agree about the shorts but in fairness long trousers and leggings are fantastic sun protection. BTW, I'm wearing shorts since this morning, first time this year to wear shorts in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭babyducklings1

Yeah isn’t it a great feeling to be able to put on shorts and not feel cold am the same have the shorts on. Yes I get the thing about long trousers/ leggings and sun protection but it’s just too hot imo.

2022 is turning into one of those summers to remember....

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Can't find it but didn't MTs Summer Outlook predict a slow start to Summer with a backended Summer. Got that one right anyway well done again MT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

What's all the hype about summer 2022! Sorry but some of ye are as bad as the media. Let's be rational for a minute. In Kerry we got a miserable June. It was cold and wet, there was one nice day around the 20th. After 24th June temps plunged for at least two weeks. Like mid teens at best, loads of rain, evening heating and forget summer clothes. Two pets days arrived on a weekend, 9th and 10th July to be precise, sunny days of about 20-22 deg. That at least heralded a temperature recovery and a week later saw the the short heat spike but under a shroud of cloud. Then the weather nose dived again for a further two weeks. Temps at an average 18 deg, drizzly and cloudy all the time and heat needed every night. And now this wonderful heatwave. But one swallow doesn't a summer make. Now maybe it will stay nice from now until the end of the month at which point I might evaluate it more favourably. But so far this summer in Kerry, while not terrible overall, would not compare with any of the classic good summers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I know, it's been atrocious, consistently windy, cool, and wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

I know, it's been atrocious, consistently windy, cool, and wet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Most posters comments about this summer are from a local perspective. The difference this summer between the west coast of Ireland, particularly the north-west and the east to south-east in particular is massive up to a few days ago. This difference is similar to the difference between summer in north-west of England vs the summer around the southern portions of midlands of England, a fairly big difference. The satellite image from today shows this quiet clearly with dark greens around the west and north but yellows and browns throughout most of Leinster and some of Munster.

In Meath we have had a remarkable summer since early July. Not all of my friends like it tho, some are absolutely sick of the heat and humidy that has been here for weeks and can't wait to see autumn make its presence as soon as possible. The west hasn't done great this summer but at least this current spell will provide sunshine and warmth everywhere in ireland until Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Unfortunately, alot of the West Coast and nearby regions have missed out on the majority of fine weather to grace Ireland this summer.

I've seen it happen a fair few times down the years where alot of Ireland and much of the UK miss out too only to see London and the English southeast bask in sunshine, blue sky and high temperatures.

In 2016, another often overlooked Summer, the southeast of Ireland done well whilst alot of the rest of Ireland suffered a "meh" summer...

There is a SW-NE line most summers, to the north and west of the line it's "meh" and to the south and east of the line it's "way-hay!"

This line sets up a fair few summers and can lie anywhere across the UK and Ireland.

This year the West and North of Scotland and Iceland are getting a fairly poor summer by all accounts too, Norway doesn't seem to be getting much summery weather either.

Location, location, location!

Advertisement