Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2022 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭squarecircles

At least I guess we didn't have to read your endless posts about it not reaching 20 degrees in meath, that in itself was a small blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭acequion

@Gonzo and @Danno, thanks guys for your posts. Yes I can see it's an East/West divide and that the same divide happens over in England. But I just wanted to tell my story from an Irish South West perspective. We clearly get very different weather here. Not as bad as Mayo/Sligo/Donegal, a bit warmer I think, but still cursed with Atlantic muck most of the time. I lived long enough in Dublin and on the continent to be sensitive to the difference. And feel blessed to have a place in the sun in Spain to escape to. It's the only way I can tolerate the Kerry climate. But in rare Azores highs Kerry often gets the best of it as can be seen in the Shannon temperatures so am loving every second of this.😀 Enjoy guys 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Indeed, Kerry and namely Dooks does well when the east-southeast airflow sets up. Most often in late-Spring and early-Summer. No such luck in 2022 though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,975 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Morning. Sun's up in Greystones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Hooter23

Now that global warming is here it said on the newspaper a few weeks ago that the heatwaves are going to last until Halloween....I believe it when i see it...the first so called heatwave lasted barely a day or two and we will be lucky if this one lasts even a week...might just barely get the minimum reqirements of 25 degrees for 5 days to be even called a heatwave

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭highdef

Lasting a day or two means it wasn't a heatwave so the "so called heatwave" wasn't a heatwave. You even clarified that point at the end of your post by stating what the minimum criteria is. The newspapers just want you to buy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just back from an early morning walk in phoenix park. Warm already. All the deer are taking shelter, they must know what's coming ... loving this weather.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Definitely make the most of the dry and warm to hot weather between now and Sunday. Next week is starting to look very unsettled again with increasing signals for a very unsettled second half to August.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,971 ✭✭✭appledrop

Already 23 degrees at 10am at a good few stations. We will definitely hit 30 today. Not a cloud in sky yet again.

I'm skipping the walk today just too hot, a day for staying at home when you can cool down when you need to😎.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Cumhachtach

Ah Gonzo.

Tuesday you said next week is going to be a shock to the system with temperatures struggling to the mid teens.

Yesterday, signals are the heat will linger until midweek, any breakdown will be brief with a reload for the last week of August.

Today, next week is looking very unsettled again and the rest of August.

All FI really. I gave a quick look at the ECM and the south and east look reasonable enough after Wednesday. The GFS updating every 6 hours causes an awful lot of predictions that prove false.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Bleedin Sean Boylan out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Kutebride

29 degrees Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

It truly is hot out there. Hotter in enclosed areas that trap the heat.

Savage still hot air here and true blue skies in Meath and just out of the blue a wind whipped up. Had to grab a load of things. Weird. Seems to have stopped again. 29⁰ Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭EMPotatohands

Can anyone tell me if my iPhone weather app is right that there will be rain from Sunday onwards in Waterford/Tramore area?? Going on me holidays and am worried won’t get my beach day in on Sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Was sitting out in the sun yesterday afternoon, not a breath of wind when the large sycamore in the field across the road started shaking vigourously. Still no wind in my garden. The tree shook for a good 5 mins surrounded by a cloud of thistle seeds before easing off.

Around the same time, someone posted a video of a "straw-nado" nearby (Clonmel).

Then today myself I stopped to watch a 50-100m wide strawnado in a field near Cahir. Impressive in that it was fairly static, went up around 200-300m and lasted at least the 5 mins that I was watching.

I'm guessing that these whirlwinds occur at other times, just that they're made visible by loose straw or dust.

Can anyone explain the mechanism by which these are formed, and are they relatively static not moving noticeably over the ground?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Just went out the door after posting that, and one of these whirlwinds passed through the garden. Seemed to fizzle out fairly quickly though, I guess the buildings disrupt the windflow. I'm thinking it has to do with the temp difference between the tarmac and the neighbouring fields, more hot air rising off the roads causing a wind shear.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

When you get strong surface heating (therefore rapidly rising hot air thermals) in an enclosed area (field, etc.) in fairly calm winds then a rising thermal can get spun into a vortex.

I got caught right in the middle of one here in Sardinia yesterday, though I got a mouthful of dust rather than straw. It fizzed across an open area between apartments. I tend to see this happen about once every couple of years but they happen so quickly that I don't get a chance to record them.

Interesting, seen a similar phenomenon in Durrow this evening just after 5pm, a load of yellow leaves spinning on the street, then poof, all gone.

• Advertisement

Is today the peak or as hot tomorrow and Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Just as hot....Summer 22 will go down as one of the best...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

In the East anyways. In Sligo wev been lucky with this spell as the fog on the coast is keeping it a cooler 23 or 24c and the evenings are mid teens before dark. But still clear and sunny. Not hot though.

Last year was a better Summer in the West. And August 2020 was good in Sligo too when East got meh n rain.

The 6 hour heatwave in July saw the temperature shoot up to 28c. God knows how hot that day would have been if there wasn't fog most of the morning and cloud in the evening. Last Summer peaked near 30c here but nothing over the 28c yet and just over 24c for August on 3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

Unbelievable two months all told

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

What a mad summer. June was wet and windy, winterish at times down here in West cork with the wind howling down the chimney. July got a blast if heat after a wet and cold enough start too, and then a breakdown to a wet bank holiday Monday in August and now another big blast of heat, with another thundery breakdown possible before a reload (possibly according to GFS!) For the last week's!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I said I'd reserve my judgement on Summer 2022 until the final week of August but I have to say, what a mental season indeed.

I didn't personally dislike June as much as many did here. I found it a 'meh' month overall, not great and not downright atrocious. A little windy for my liking. Sunshine was below average but it was ok to be honest, seen worse. Escaped a lot of the rain here up until an evening washout at the end of the month which gave me a rare double reflection bow which was something else to see! I rated it a 5/10, I stand by that.

Then July, I found quite disappointing with the lack of sunshine. Many a cloudy or hazy day but lots of warmth and dry weather. Difficult month for me to rate as a result. As a weather enthusiast, I found 18 July very exciting. If it had far superior sunshine, would be an all-time classic summer month in my opinion. I rated it a 4/10 because of my preference for sunshine over anything else but looking back on it, that's a bit unfair and it'll be at least a 5. Maybe closer to a 6 in my final thoughts.

August.. I can't believe I'm saying this, is absolutely fantastic. I can't express how delighted I am for August to finally deliver some summery weather and in style too! It is currently a 10/10, perfect for me. Will see where it stands by the end. It has brought a very sunny week, Wednesday and Thursday were legendary summer days in my opinion. Hardly a cloud, up there with the likes of 17 July 2021 and 28 June 2018. On Wednesday morning, I seen mad crepuscular rays glowing before the sunrise. They were the best display of them I've seen to date and were very visible with the naked eye. Pic is from Sandymount Strand. On Thursday morning, I observed some very late noctilucent clouds too, by far my latest. Pic is from Clontarf. Then last night, the supermoon was perfect too with clear skies and so many people out enjoying it warmed my heart. Pic is from Dún Laoghaire East Pier with a 600mm lens.

Apologies for the spam of pics and waffle but this August is so good 🤩

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭esposito

No need to apologise Syranbruen. Finally we get a good August. The Supermoon at night is the icing on the cake. Enjoying every minute of this heatwave and not taking any of it for granted.

Super super pictures. Keep them coming, as they say a picture paints a thousand words.

Really enjoying this August also, it's been a cracker once the rain cleared through on the Bank Holiday Monday.

Even last Thursday and Friday which were forecast cool ended up around 19c with light enough of a breeze. Sunny most of the time also.

Can't complain about August at all... so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,084 ✭✭✭pauldry

Could have fairly decent weather spells until October. It could turn out we get our highest temperature on record for September too.

Not allowed mention CC on weather forum and we are surely due a pile of rainfall whenever it comes apart from the immenent Thunderstorms.

Today in the sea the water was hot until you got knee deep. Probably off the hot sand and fast moving tide but very weird and kinda scary to be in a hot sea in Ireland.

Advertisement