Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid Weight

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Hey all. Don't give up on this. I got lucky I went on this journey the last 12months. I had numerous weeks of no movement in scales and also I have a half stone swing between morning and evening.

It took me 12months as didn't want to rush it with previous tried and failed "crash" diets. Had carbs and all in it. One trick I found was having some fruit and Greek yoghurt for my supper as a "meal replacer". Can't overeat on it, sometimes I had two bowls of it. The yoghurt in the big tubs in Lidl is excellent.

Any week you don't lose weight is ok as likely didnt gain it if eating healthy and exercising/walking!! Keep posting as great way to stay accountable and if ya fall off the wagon for a few days, don't use it as an excuse to waste all the hard work!!

Best of luck👏👏👏

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Pipermania

It's a pity that I don't have the same desire and willpower as you. I'm afraid to do sports in the general gym.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

Thank you ☺️ oh the very best of luck 🍀🍀🍀

Thanks a bunch Tommy, fairplay 💪did you get to goal after?

Don't feel bad, it only took me 2 years to get some willpower, ha. Why are you afraid to do sports in the general gym?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭mojesius

Great thread idea and congrats to you all on your weight loss. I'd like to join the 'support thread' 😁 to keep me on track. I'm currently 11st 2lb and want to lose a stone by September. I'm not sure I'd call this 'covid weight' as I was 10st 7lb this time last year with a 10 month old baby (managed to shift 2 stone after baby but it's creeping back on again).

My main downfalls are as follows:

1. Working from home permanently - During focus/busy times, I go for the sugary biscuits/coffee/tea/chocolate combos to keep my energy levels up.
    2. Not planning meals enough - I cook a lot and don't eat too many takeaways but during busy work weeks, I default to 'whatever is easiest to get on the table'. I need to batch cook more on weekends and plan for the week
    3. Inconsistency with exercise - I'll be great with walks and weights/workouts for a few weeks but fall off the wagon (the diet falls off here too). I also need to get back into running consistently and have been using 'i have no time' as an excuse so I'll aim to get out 3 evenings p/w for 30 mins to start when kids are in bed.
    4. Too much beer/wine on weekends to 'reward' myself, leading to feeling crap and eating crap the days following
    5. Postponed covid holidays happening - We have been away 3 times this year and I have been seriously indulging. We have a few more coming up!

Action plan:

1. Track everything I eat in myfitnesspal, also aiming for 1200 calories for now (maybe slightly more via healthy snack if running that day)
    2. Cut out all chocolate, biscuits, cakes and crap. Avoid chips/desserts/fry ups etc. when away
    3. Booze allowance is 2 glasses of red on weekend - No beer!
    4. Limit bread to one slice per day (I can't cut bread out entirely)
    5. Run 3 times p/w, walk dog/buggy on alternative days and/or weights sessions
    6. Batch cook on weekends - I made a chicken & veg soup and bolognese w/low fat mince yesterday to do a few lunches/dinners.

Starting weight 11 st 2 lb - It's not just about losing weight, it's about feeling better and healthier!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I love my chocolate too! I've found going cold turkey is not the best way to keep off it. I have a square or two a day and that's sufficient. I never had weight issues until about the last four or five years. All down to age I'm sure. A top my daughter bought me in a charity shop was awfully tight a few weeks ago - bit roomier now. I'm at 9 11 now so 10 pound gone in about 6 weeks. I can certainly see the difference and I ran for a bus the other day without being hugely out of breath. I'm walking faster too now. I think summer is a good time to try lose the weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Kalimah

That sounds like the perfect plan . I try walk an hour a day - 3 miles usually. I'm not that fond of walking to be honest - I really should get earphones and listen to music as I go. I won't give up sugar in tea but I only have one spoon in cup and limit the tea to 4 or 5 cups a day.

Cheers😁 the more the merrier, Congratulations on the baby! 🎊👶🎉 That sounds like a great plan you have! I'm also on approx 1200 kcals but Im not cutting anything out but trying to eat more fruit/veg/whole foods etc. I would have loved to go to the gym but I can't afford it and the worry of covid is still there, so I go for a 30-40 minute walk with family most days (the walk is over before I know it, it's great). I also invested in a smart watch to track my steps. Due to health issues, my energy levels aren't great, and as I've always been a lover of convenience, I buy some soups, sambos and ready meals which make it easier getting more veg and tracking my kcals. So maybe those ideas might help. That's definitely hard when you're away on hols, I'm such a foodie, I'd love to try what I could but if a buffet isn't available then maybe it will be slightly easier to eat within your calories whilst still enjoying yourself and walking where you can to balance things out.

Best of luck on the weight loss 🌟🌟🌟

Yeah i totally agree, have went cold turkey in the past and it can just put the forbidden food on a pedestal for me. My weight has been up n down since puberty unfortunately. Brill job, and shows the work is paying off. So great to see the health benefits 💪 and agreed, summer is a good time to do it with the fab weather and the heat is a good motivator when it gets harder trying to hide behind the extra clothes.

• Advertisement

10lb in six weeks is excellent progress, well done! I'm a divil for the chocolate and unlike you, a square or two wouldn't suffice, I'd eat the whole lot so have to go cold turkey on it, at least for the time being

Oh yeah the smart watches are great for keeping you honest and making sure you're exercising at a good pace. Yeah the buffets did me in in Lanzarote, too much choice and I could not say no to the desserts!

They're great. Oh Lanzorate, I'm so jealous 🥺 yeah I def wouldn't be able to say no either 🤤

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭tommyombomb

Surprisingly I did reach my target -lightest and healthiest I'd felt in about 15yrs. Went from 15.5st to 12.5st (6ft 1inch tall). After putting on 3/4 of a stone on again and not too noticeable but pulling back for a bit as put that weight on in about two months.

Good on you 💪 too easy to go bk on, hopefully it won't be too difficult getting it off again

11st 5lbs today, that's a 1lb loss this week which I'm a bit disappointed with but I did lose 3lbs one of the weeks and had eat out a few times the past few weeks so it's not the worst outcome and I'm able to fit into more of my clothes now and walk without as much pain as before which is great, hope everyone is doing well with it 💪

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Sir_Name

I’d recommend measuring yourself too. One pound of fat takes up more space than one pound of muscle and your weight loss will start to slow the closer you get to your goal.

You might not lose lbs some weeks but you will loose cm.

Thanks a bunch, I might start doing that so I might still see progress in other ways too

• Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Am also part of the Bodyslims program that started April.....will get the stone this week(Week 9) I think.

Great job! You're flying it 🌟🌟🌟 do you have/want to lose much more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Another 1.5 stone or thereabouts.

Im doing the loss in stages. Started telling myself I had a stone to lose. Now I'm going to take a short break and start again. With a stone to lose. When its in bit sized chunks its manageable, otherwise, it can get overwhelming and too easy to throw in the towel.

Yeah sounds more realistic and attainable. Can be easy to expect results yesterday and then get disappointed and give up. I have another 2 stone to go. We'll get there 💪

Well done everyone on the progress 😀

I'm down 2lb this week, 11st on the dot currently. It was my bday last week so had a couple of meals out/slice of cake but didn't go nuts. I didn't exercise as much as I wanted to, bit of a stressful week in general so will be prioritising exercise in my life this week.

Great job 💪 and happy Belated birthday! 🥳🎈💐🎊🎂 Hope the stress calms down this week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I got covid on the 19th of June , nasty bug for sure but nothing as bad as a flu I had 4 years ago. Ate sporadically for the last 8 days but was never actually hungry throughout. I was 15 stone 1lb. Weighed myself this morning 13 stone 8lb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I ate a packet of jelly babies on Saturday night. They were sweeeeeeet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Well done and I might join in!

Lost almost a stone last year through weekly weigh ins, daily walks and using fitness pal to track my food.About 1300 cals a day here too was my aim.I tend to start to drift at about 6/7 weeks though and lose interest.Weight slowly went back on in the last year.I had covid in early April, and have been up and down health wise and taking a lot of steroids and antibiotics, so the weight has slowly built up again now.

I chanced starting back walking yesterday (wheeziness has been a problem).I got a good walk in yesterday and today.72kg the other day - 11lb3oz....I would love to get to 91/2 stone but I am happy to do in half stone chunks.So my first aim would be to get to 10.5 stone.

Fingers crossed I managed this.As you say, I just want to fit back in my clothes properly!

Sorry I read that wrong, thought you gained a stone and a half, did you seriously lose that much weight in a week!?

Post edited by Pissy Missy on

• Advertisement

Well done before, it's such hard work! Good on you with the walks!

I'm 11st 5lbs atm so we're about the same and yeah I think focusing on half a stone at a time is a good Idea, I'm hoping to get to 9st 7lbs by the end of October so that would be about half a stone a month to lose

Advertisement