Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carer Any advice

• 01-06-2022 5:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I would be very grateful If anyone here could help me out on my three specific questions. I have spent the last fortnight on Internet trying to find the answer to these issues but I am just going around in circles.

Both my parents are in their 80s and not well. I am looking into becoming a carer for them. But there are 3 areas I cannot find answers to . Firstly I am unemployed and it says carers is taxable. If you have worked 2 years before you take on carer's you can get stamps. If you have not worked in previous 2 years you cannot get stamps/prsi/pension etc. So what I would like to know you have no stamps from previous 2 years before you took on carer's, If you work for 1 year or 6 months or 2 years for a period as carer, say over 1 year would you be than entitled to get stamps/prsi contributions pension etc on carer's than. Let say you have no stamps at the start of carer's, after say 1 year working as carer will you get stamps/ contributions to your pension etc. I hope that makes sense I am really bad at explaining stuff like that.

Secondly I have some medical health issues I am on medical card. It says you get gp card when you are on carer's. If I became a carer would they take medical card of me and replace it with gp card. And it says you can keep medical card for 3 years after going back to work. So would I be allowed to keep medical card on carer's for 3 years or would they take the medical card of me after 1 or 2 years on carer's.

Any advice or information I would be so grateful. I have spent the last 2 weeks looking on Internet for any info and I cannot answers to my specific questions. If I could just get some answers information I can then start to make future plans. It's kind of stressing me out I cannot find any answers to my specific questions. As I said If I find the information I can than makes plans for myself and my parents.

Any information I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,741 ✭✭✭✭looksee

If anyone has definite information on any of the above I hope they will share it. I only have opinions and assumtions - for example if you have a medical card now it will not be over-ridden by your Carer status. That's just my opinion though. Have you contacted Citizens Advice? You can make an appointment to go in and get some definite information.

Advertisement