Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depp/Heard Trial Verdict

Options
191011121315»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,652 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Don’t come in here with your facts! That will upset some people 🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

maybe if the trial was anyway close, but this one was about as clear cut as it gets. I think if you have a jury that is anyway impartial he wins 100/100. Its not the jury who gets to the "truth" they make a decision on the facts as presented. what "luck" do you think he was the beneficiary of?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Did he really? Is that why a criminal case was then launched?

No, both cases were defamation cases. By definition, the only thing the UK trial could find was if the Sun was liable for Heard's comments, which they based their article on.

The judge has since retired and there was no appeal because of the US case made much more sense. There has since been talk of an appeal, and additonal perjury cases against Heard in Australia and possibly the UK.

Some were the same, some were different depending on what was required for the different countries. For example, in the UK trial, many of the witnesses were not brought forward, that then spoke in the US

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

I'd a conversation with a yank relative on WhatsApp last night. She can't see why Amber Heard lost her case because.......according to her..........Johnny abused Amber.

I pointed out all the lies that Heard told but she wouldn't have any of it. Heard was right and Depp was wrong and that's all there is to it. She didn't care one bit that Heard told lies. She didn't even deny that Heard told lies. It was like trying to explain something to a dog. Although a dog might have caught on eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,330 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Dogs are definitely more intelligent than dogmatic people. Far more willing to adapt and change.

I have to wonder how many journalists 'genuinely believe Heard's story. Like 100 percent, no doubt in their mind.

Or is it like the 'wokerati' that we found were just projecting to hide their own stuff? We've seen, time and time again, these people didn't believe any of what they were preaching. They just thought it would make them money...which it didn't. Much of the people who 'proclaim' to be part of a movement, are doing so to give themselves power.

Really, they've got more negative views than your average Klan member, it's just they hide it behind supposed 'progression'.

• Advertisement

Nice breakdown of the whys the jury ruled against Heard.

The Lawyer notes how, in a previous case where the 'people believed a woman's lies', we ended up with the murder of Emmett Till, a 14 year old African-America teenager, in 1955. And the woman at the center of that case only admitted to lying in 2017.

https://medium.com/@natalie.whittingham/the-jury-had-no-choice-but-to-rule-against-amber-heard-6e5a71cec2d8

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

he could have got the wrong jury, there's enough people still supporting her to see this could happen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

TBH i think its going to prevent male victims coming forth just as much ....Depp had to humiliate himself and hang his dirty laundry out to get this done.

I think that is slightly ...blind.

He is 'an imperfect victim' as they say. What human IS perfect?

The truth is in order to do this Depp like a LOT of victims both male and female had to air out their dirty laundry and then some.

But you have to remember a part of why he was behaving like this ...was because he was being abused. SHE CUT HIS FINGER OFF.

He lost his mother he had financial concerns and a wife who was a nasty piece of work. I think 99% of us would be hitting the bottle hard in that situation.

I think people fail to realize that Ambers Abuse was not on the mild end of the spectrum at all ....

Yes he is no angel. He never claimed to be. He just claimed not to be a wife beater.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭JRant

You always have to remember that is nearly impossible to reason a person out of a position they didn't reason themselves into in the first place.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭uptherebels

How was it luck, he didn't get the "wrong" jury?

if he had gotten a bad jury it would have been bad luck, it's not outside the realms of possibility he could have lost with enough eejits on the jury

Aren't juries selected in the US?

The attorneys involved essentially keep/remove those submitted to the jury. So, any kind of "bad" jury would be because the Attorneys F'd up. Depps Attorneys looked far too clued in to allow that to happen. And that's without even considering the whole area of Jury selection consultants.

As for losing because of eejits on the jury, the jury are responsible for determining the facts of the case, so, the onus would be on the attorneys to provide the relevant evidence, which is what the jury would be basing their views on. But sure, considering that a civil case is just 6 jurors, you could get a group of muppets, although it still comes back to jury selection and the attorneys decisions.

Oh, it appears that Heard is broke, and can't pay Depp, or even her own attorneys for past services. She was using her insurance to cover the costs during the case, and apparently, the policies of the insurance prevent pay outs when lies are involved. Nobody seems to know where the money for the pledges have gone either... all the while, she was supposedly living the life of a top movie star. Hmm...

Looks like she's in a really bad way. Oh, dear. I guess I'm a bad person, because I feel she deserves it all.

I think (and this is based totally on the movies) that the lawyers get a certain number of challenges. I'm also unsure how big the selection pool is. The legal teams are probably quite adept at jury selection but I doubt it's anywhere near infallible. With a case like this which is so polarizing it's probably even more difficult to get an unbiased jury.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,757 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

She decided she was going to bet the farm on fleecing Depp.

Hard to have much sympathy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

In this case, every member of the jury would have to be biased. If even one member was against Depp, he would have lost the case. It wasn't a majority rules ruling, it had to be unanimous.

The nice thing about this case is that it was televised and so even if the unlikely case that somehow the entire jury were obviously bias, it would have been picked up on. But really, all you have to do is watch it to know they made the only right call. Heard made some ridiculously jawdropping (quite literally) mistruths that were shown up over and over. I'm genuinely at a loss as to why this could be so polarising when it's a such a clear cut case.

I'm genuinely at a loss as to why this could be so polarising when it's a such a clear cut case.

Because people want to hold on tightly to their outrage/anger/whatever. The facts don't matter to them, although the media aren't helping by encouraging the victimhood attitudes.

• Advertisement

It's funny how the mainstream media promote this 'people just hate strong women' argument, yet ignored how twitter, and the internet, were congratulating Camille Vasquez after she got a promotion for her excellent work in this trial.

For those who don't know, she made partner at the legal firm where she works-having previously been an associate. She should be celebrated by the mainstream as a strong woman.

Yet that wouldn't be beneficial. Feel good stuff rarely is.

Advertisement