Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion: Summer 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,022 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not counting chickens but this is going beautifully so far...

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Banarol

I know its very obvious but don't forget to charge phones etc up fully because some of us could be without electricity for quite a while. There would be nothing as bad as to have the phone on 1 percent charge with the show beginning and the electricity cuts out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Met Eireanns radar has Dublins window from midnight to 2am and not as intense looking as earlier today

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

We were not so risk adverse. Our house is the highest point in the Northeast of the city. We stood next to a big electric pole right outside to watch the display.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Nowcast now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Just landed in Kerry Airport before 18.00 and had thunder and lightning, small bit of rain , could see heavy rain shafts in the distance, getting increasingly dull and could cut the air. Luckily turbulence not too bad on approach, didn't tell my wife till we landed about the warnings 😀, would have been a nervy flight If I had told her earlier!

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭jackrussel

Can hear thunder in cork city, sounds like it’s to the west

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My friends live right where that storm cell in Roscommon and they are saying it's a really good storm, loads of lightning and thunder. I'm jealous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

I’m not sure if I’m imaging things, but I’m hearing rumbles in on the north side of cork city

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Rougies

Yes it would be an epic thunderstorm for Dublin if it verified, but it's almost impossible to predict where exactly thunderstorms will form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,475 ✭✭✭thomil

Some light gusts here in Ballincollig now but still absolutely sweltering here at 27.4C.

Oh and I can already see the gap in the forming rainfall line that is likely going to hit Ballincollig, so it looks like I'm in for another disappointment...

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

My prediction is we'll see ever more cells pop up through the evening, then we'll get back-building and merging of these cells.

This will be an amazing spectacle for some, maybe most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Constant rumbling now in Cork, but still a bit away

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Ah, Castlerea. It was nice knowing you 😉😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Dazler97

That's 1 thundery sky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,394 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well I normally leave my dogs outside but definitely bringing them in tonight in case of Thunder Storms.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 hunted-forreal

Good advice!! I’ve already charged the power bank in antici…….pation of a 2022 version of 1985. I was only 6, and remember 1985 like yesterday, the constant lightning, feeling terrified but excited by the reassurance of my father being so excited. Would love to see it one more time……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭greenpilot

Two freeze frames from a vid shot out the window towards Castlerea. It's been almost 1 hour of continuous rolling crashes. 5km from knock airport.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I can hear very low distance rumbling here in Meath, but hard to tell is it distance thunder or the rumbles from planes near Dublin airport as the east wind travels the sounds of jets towards this area.

However the sky above me totally reminds me of how it looked on that wonderful day back in July 1985. There is definitely something big brewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

How fair are the comments likening this to the 1980s storm? I have no recollection of a thunderstorm warning in my lifetime. Granted I was born in the nineties.

• Advertisement

Cork City

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭snowstorm445

The heat has been absolutely oppressive here in Rochestown all day. The definition of muggy. The sky definitely looks inclement at the moment but not so sure about our chances later, let's see.

Best thunderstorm I can remember down here was probably the one at the end of May 2018, felt like it went on for hours. I think it was the night after the 8th amendment referendum so it felt like some sort of divine retribution. 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Jesus Christmas ......Castlerea ....is gone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,668 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Hearing rumblings over Galway city, I'm in Henry Street just up from Beirhaus bar, there's been no lightening at all yet.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Clouds near kanturk cork

The cells in the southwest increasing in lightning frequency and intensifying at the moment.

Ah no. I remember it very well. It was I e if the most frightening experiences of my life. It genuinely shocked people with its severity. Imagine hundreds of lightning strikes in an hour, with continuous, window-ratteling blasts, at night, with no Internet, mobile phones, 2 channels on the TV and everyone scared out of their wits. I was 12. I remember it really well.

What in blazes is going on with the Castlerea cell? That thing looks like the townspeople angered some ancient eldritch being!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Epic Night of Storms... been a long time since 85...

• Advertisement

I'm to the north of that cell loads of distant thunder

Its gone quiet again here in near knock. That was something else. We live between Ballaghaderreen and Knock and that lightening storm literally appeared out of nowhere. It was bad, bit not as bad as 85. You could smell the ozone in the air. I'd say 1 strike every minute, for an hour. Pretty intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭outsourced_ire

Thunder and a flash of lighting about 10km west of Fermoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Cork2021

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I appreciate the candid recollection. I can relate in some way, having experienced very severe thunderstorms in Ontario and upstate New York in my time.

I hope most of the country will see Storms tonight/tomorrow its looking good 😁⛈️⛈️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Thunder near Athenry, clouds are amazing.

Louder thunder now near Corkcity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭lolie

Cloud to ground strikes from the storm in Roscommon, in the few years looking at these maps I've never seen it so congested, must be a hell of a storm.

Here's a link to the site for current and past strikes, it only goes back 24 hours though incase anyone needs to check local strikes, hopefully not for the wrong reasons.

• Advertisement

Cork City council just pushed out a warning notice via its text & email alert system. Standard text, but this is the first alert message sent out since February.

Also, very definite, if distant, rumbling of thunder here in Ballincollig now. Still not too optimistic, but it's something at least. No rainfall at all, by the way, it's dry as a bone here. Temperature has dropped to 26.3C at my weather station.

Long rolling rumbles overhead here in cork city

• Registered Users Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Thunder in cork city!!!!!!

Power is gone there I think, friends from that area in Roscommon haven't replied back in 20 minutes and are marked as offline.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Yup. Definitely hearing it now. Hopefully it might shut those seagulls up!

Just checked over on the Met Eireann website. Looks like a cell over Blarney has gone active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm a bit east of Kanturk. Lovely rumbles here now hoping to see a few forks later 😃

Seeing flashes now in cork city, 8 seconds

Heavy rain now also Cork city.

• Advertisement
Advertisement