Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pedestrian/Zebra Crossings Twin Towns

Options
  • 01-06-2022 7:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭

There are 4 new crossings 2 in Ballybofey and 2 in Stranorlar, they seem pretty amateurish, are who put them there? are they legal?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Its a pilot scheme by the Council

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭slimboyfat

If the council is involved, of course it's amateurish, another half thought up idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,094 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'm wondering how many people will have to get knocked down before they realise it doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

What struck me is that 2 of them are right beside junctions, some have the double yellow lines kinda removed and the others don't, and there are no zigzag lines either side of them; they don't seem to conform to the standards for installing pedestrian/zebra crossings.

Found this Microsoft Word - Ped Crossing Guidance Revamped 100311 FINAL (tii.ie) online, from quick reading they seem to have disregarded a lot of the standards/recommendations associated with installing a zebra crossing..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Beleive it not they are not Zebra crossings. Legally speaking to be classed as a Zebra crossing it must have flashing pelican lights on either side of it. Otherwise it is just a recommended place for pedestrains to cross the road. Traffic does not need to give way to and pedestrains attempting to use these new crossings which means it defeats the purpose of them.

Now that being said most people myself included will stop for pedestrains but i can envisage a situation whereby someong is going to blindly cross the road as they assume its a zebra crossing and get knocked down.

They don't match the requirements for any of the other types of crossings defined in that document either.. so how can the council (I assume roads dept) just fire down a bit of paint on a road and call it a pedestrian crossing?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,084 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I remember when they first put the crossing outside McElhinney's it didn't originally have the traffic lights and was just a zebra crossing. They had to add the lights since people were constantly crossing, as you would expect, which kept holding up the traffic. So strange they just added a couple more now randomly since if they get used, it'll just be the same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Yep, and god knows how many hours and how much money was spent on think tanks to come up with the idea, and then the implimention of it.

I'm not surprised, lol, but it does make you think sometimes.

Advertisement